Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Si_ said:
    Can anyone recommend a good set of headphones for home use? Nothing too expensive. 
    Whatever you get, make sure they're high impedance (100-150 Ohm or higher?). Helix's headphone amp is designed to run high impedance studio cans loud enough to hear over drummers; consumer-level low impedance headphones can easily clip.
    Where's Native? Ps. Happy Equinox :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Si_ said:
    Can anyone recommend a good set of headphones for home use? Nothing too expensive. 
    Whatever you get, make sure they're high impedance (100-150 Ohm or higher?). Helix's headphone amp is designed to run high impedance studio cans loud enough to hear over drummers; consumer-level low impedance headphones can easily clip.
    Finding cheap cans with 100+ ohm is proving difficult.  
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Beyerdynamic dt770 pros
    about 100 quid but will last forever
    remember and get the higher ohm pro version

They sound great as well
    my studio phones of choice

That's too expensive for occasional home use.. I was thinking of maybe half that price. 
    Si_ said:
    That's too expensive for occasional home use.. I was thinking of maybe half that price. 
    You get what you pay for in my experience of headphones.I've tried cheaper but they don't really cut it . Good luck though. Let me know if you find anything decent at that price point
  • Is it just me or does that Facebook group have a lot of really strange people in it? Like even stranger than The Fretboard :')
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited June 2017
    @Si_ I've had good results with audio technica ath-M30, which are either 30 or 60 ohm (can't remember). I much prefer them with Helix, to the more expensive ath-M50's that I have, these ones sound really strident and aggressive with helix.

Now, I'm running my headphones through a samson headphone amp, which gets around some of the clipping issues Digital Igloo mentioned. If you go direct in, you have to be careful with the volume. Helix is a powerful output.
  • Anyone using a Helix with Fryette PS2 into a guitar cab? One for sale at the moment just wonderin'???
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    Is it just me or does that Facebook group have a lot of really strange people in it? Like even stranger than The Fretboard :')
    Yep!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Asked this on the L6 forums, but thought I'd put it here as well:

Currently going FrFr, but really miss getting a great Silver Jubilee tone - so I'm potentially looking at picking up either a Marshall CODE or a Mini Jubilee head. What I'd be aiming to do is to get the Jubilee tone and roar, and ideally use the amp cabs etc. from the Helix.

Does anyone know if there's a decent way to get the Jubilee tone from the 2525h and use the Helix cabs at the same time? Or is it just going to be basically a glorified FX unit?

Same question for the CODE - I know it's a modeller itself, and it uses MIDI, but looks like it's USB based MIDI which I'm assuming the Helix cannot do.

Thanks all!

edited June 2017
    Anyone using a Helix with Fryette PS2 into a guitar cab? One for sale at the moment just wonderin'???
    Just got that rig myself (Although the V1 of the PS). Havent tried it at volume yet but sounds great at home. First band session is on Tuesday. 

The PowerStation is a lot heavier than I expected scream 

FarleyUK said:
    Asked this on the L6 forums, but thought I'd put it here as well:

Currently going FrFr, but really miss getting a great Silver Jubilee tone - so I'm potentially looking at picking up either a Marshall CODE or a Mini Jubilee head. What I'd be aiming to do is to get the Jubilee tone and roar, and ideally use the amp cabs etc. from the Helix.

Does anyone know if there's a decent way to get the Jubilee tone from the 2525h and use the Helix cabs at the same time? Or is it just going to be basically a glorified FX unit?

Same question for the CODE - I know it's a modeller itself, and it uses MIDI, but looks like it's USB based MIDI which I'm assuming the Helix cannot do.

Thanks all!

You could attenuate the speaker out down to line level and then put it into one of the loops in front of the cab model and still go FRFR if that is what your asking
    You are effectively using the Silver Jubilee as a giant valve overdrive pedal.
  • PJHPJH Frets: 25
    Hi everyone,

I've just finished Part 4 in my video series on the Line 6 Helix. This video demos my own patch collection that I've put together over the past 18 months. I've used these patches in the studio on my latest album and also tested them through a PA system at high levels to get the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Peter

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited June 2017
    @FarleyUK you could maybe consider a silver jubilee in a box type pedal like the Alexander Jubilee? Might work out cheaper. The CODE does let you turn off preamp, power and speaker cab models but it doesn't have an fx loop or anything so your io might be limited. Midi is usb based only afaik.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers all - am I right in saying that if I just sent from the Helix into the FX return and them out from the FX send back to the Helix, that would provide the Jubilee power amp with the preamps from the Helix? But I'd still need frfr...?

Sorry, bit confused!
    FarleyUK said:
    Cheers all - am I right in saying that if I just sent from the Helix into the FX return and them out from the FX send back to the Helix, that would provide the Jubilee power amp with the preamps from the Helix? But I'd still need frfr...?

Sorry, bit confused!
    There is a lot to un pick here
    much easier if you tell us your desired outcome and then we can tell you how to achieve it

you want to use your Jubillee head pre amp 
    you want to use the Helix FX
    do you also want to use the Helix pre amps
    do you want to use a traditional guitar cab or do you want to be able to emulate other guitar cab types
    do you need to go into a PA at any point 

Cabicular said:
    Beyerdynamic dt770 pros

Thanks for the advice.

Decided to bite the bullet and buy a pair of the DT770s 250 Ohm version.. There fantastic.. makes the Helix sound awsome.. great advice thanks. 
    Si_ said:
    Cabicular said:
    Beyerdynamic dt770 pros

Thanks for the advice.

Decided to bite the bullet and buy a pair of the DT770s 250 Ohm version.. There fantastic.. makes the Helix sound awsome.. great advice thanks. 
    Worth the extra money mate, and there is very little spill with them which is why I like them for recording
    plus they are pretty comfy :)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Good choice. Super comfy headphones. I wish I had bought a pair sooner, especially for wearing with glasses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom