Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Drew_fx;754513" said:
    DavusPG said:

Does anyonee know if the Helix has preset spillover?

Say you're on a high gain lead preset with delay and reverb, would that fade away as you changed to a cleaner preset?

Not at launch.
    Really? Totally just killed it for me then if that's true :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Drew_fx;754513" said:
    DavusPG said:

Say you're on a high gain lead preset with delay and reverb, would that fade away as you changed to a cleaner preset?

Not at launch.
    I know - I'm in the same boat. I'm going along to the demo day @rossyamaha mentioned earlier, though, and I'm going to see if there's any way to get around it neatly. From everything that's been said, I think there might be a way to do it with automating parameters (the "learn" functionality), which might sort it out for me until they can get scenes working.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx;754513" said:
    DavusPG said:

Not at launch.
    Thinking about the way I plan to use it.. it's less of an issue for me. I'm not really planning on using more than one preset per-song.

Please note... you still get trails within the SAME preset.
    Ah that is then more interesting again...
    Ah that is then more interesting again...
    Like, for instance... what is known:

You *can* assign a switch to multiple blocks at once, whilst also sending out up to 6 midi messages at the same time. So that does give you a lot of flexibility.

What isn't yet known - or at least I don't know if it is - is whether you can set up the switches to *only* set a block to a certain state. So for example, if you want one switch to always turn off a block, regardless of whether it is on or not.. I don't know if you can do that. If you can *only* set up the switching to toggle a block, then that means my scenario from before where I am bringing in effects depending on what channel I am on will not work.

Effectively what I'm after is a 'min' and 'max' value for the switching. So I can have one switch always set a tubescreamer to OFF, and another switch to always set it to ON... whilst also switching my amp channel via midi in the background. This means I can tighten up the high-gain channels of my amp, and not affect the uber-cleans on the clean channel.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited August 2015
    These are probably daft questions, but I'm interested to know how well this takes pedals and a few other things.

Say I have a simple set up, where I want to use the Helix as a recording solution, direct to desk/Logic/digital recorder - using it mainly for its amp sims and some effects.

I understand that the Helix lets you load custom impulse responses. Does it come with any of its own?

How good will it sound if I have my Effectrode Blackbird (it's a valve pre-amp pedal) in front?

Also say I want to use my valve-driven tremolo and Big Sky reverb in the Helix parallel FX loop.

I guess I would have to try it out.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 448
    Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx;754513" said:
    DavusPG said:

Not at launch.
    Thinking about the way I plan to use it.. it's less of an issue for me. I'm not really planning on using more than one preset per-song.

Please note... you still get trails within the SAME preset.
    That's a good point - possible less of an issue.

Although it'd be nice to have spillover between presets too.
  • Drew_fx;754513" said:
    DavusPG said:

Not at launch.
    I know - I'm in the same boat. I'm going along to the demo day @rossyamaha mentioned earlier, though, and I'm going to see if there's any way to get around it neatly. From everything that's been said, I think there might be a way to do it with automating parameters (the "learn" functionality), which might sort it out for me until they can get scenes working.
    See you there, I'll be going too, and likely pre-ordering one if I like how the looper(s?) functions.

Is it an all day/weekend event, or just the evenings @rossyamaha?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's worth going just to try and get Paul Hindmarsh to say "looper"
    There are some words that were created for Geordies :)

• The only modeler on the planet that does preset spillover is the DigiTech GSP1101, and it dedicated half of its DSP to spillover and only spillover. We have some unique ideas, and currently, you can get pretty far by switching between paths within the same preset, but Helix doesn't currently have any sort of spillover across presets.

The looper is a lot like HD500X's, except you can place it anywhere on any path, it can be mono or stereo, its memory has been expanded to 2 minutes (1/2 speed), and you can remove it entirely to get more DSP.

Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    its memory has been expanded to 2 minutes (1/2 speed), and you can remove it entirely to get more DSP.

That's hella cool!
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    Digital_Igloo;755156" said:
    The only modeler on the planet that does preset spillover is the DigiTech GSP1101, and it dedicated half of its DSP to spillover and only spillover. We have some unique ideas, and currently, you can get pretty far by switching between paths within the same preset, but Helix doesn't currently have any sort of spillover across presets.

The looper is a lot like HD500X's, except you can place it anywhere on any path, it can be mono or stereo, its memory has been expanded to 2 minutes (1/2 speed), and you can remove it entirely to get more DSP.
    So, just to get this straight in my head..

Within a preset then you could have more than 1 delay that could be switched in and will trail?

So could have one button set up as a a solo channel which kicks in amp channel and TS and 2nd delay within a preset? (Effectively a multiple effect/parameter select assigned to 1 button)
    welshboyo said:
    Digital_Igloo;755156" said:
    The only modeler on the planet that does preset spillover is the DigiTech GSP1101, and it dedicated half of its DSP to spillover and only spillover. We have some unique ideas, and currently, you can get pretty far by switching between paths within the same preset, but Helix doesn't currently have any sort of spillover across presets.

So, just to get this straight in my head..

Within a preset then you could have more than 1 delay that could be switched in and will trail?

So could have one button set up as a a solo channel which kicks in amp channel and TS and 2nd delay within a preset? (Effectively a multiple effect/parameter select assigned to 1 button)
    You could do it several ways from what I can tell:

1. Assign a switch to one or more delays and activate and bypass them.
    2. Put delays on one of the paths, and assign a switch to A/B between two paths.
    edited August 2015
    How I'm thinking of using it:

4 cable method with my Diezel D-Moll.
    Four switches across the bottom setup to change the channels of the D-Moll via midi program changes, whilst at the same time enabling or bypassing a tubescreamer or boost model, to give me the four levels of gain that I look for - clean, crunchy clean, chunky rhythm, high-gain rhythm and solos.
    Eventide H9 in one of the loops to cover me for effects that the Helix doesn't yet do.
    Have a phaser, two delays, and a reverb on the switches across the top row.
    Have the preamp signal from the Diezel D-Moll go to it's own path in parallel to the main path. Have a cabinet IR on this path. Route the path to it's own output. Have this output go to IEM's so that I can monitor my playing without relying on the FOH. Would also allow me to keep the stage levels low.
    Route a vocal microphone into the Helix on it's own path. Process my voice with compression, a bit of dirt and delay, and feed from it's own output directly to the FOH. Also try to route to my IEM's.

I just hope I can do all that within one preset!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx;755222" said:

Four switches across the bottom setup to change the channels of the D-Moll via midi program changes, whilst at the same time enabling or bypassing a tubescreamer or boost model, to give me the four levels of gain that I look for - clean, crunchy clean, chunky rhythm, high-gain rhythm and solos.

Eventide H9 in one of the loops to cover me for effects that the Helix doesn't yet do.

Have the preamp signal from the Diezel D-Moll go to it's own path in parallel to the main path. Have a cabinet IR on this path. Route the path to it's own output. Have this output go to IEM's so that I can monitor my playing without relying on the FOH. Would also allow me to keep the stage levels low.

Route a vocal microphone into the Helix on it's own path. Process my voice with compression, a bit of dirt and delay, and feed from it's own output directly to the FOH. Also try to route to my IEM's.

If it can actually pull that off inside of 1 patch, then it will be a seriously awesome piece of kit...
    Drew_fx;755222" said:

If it can actually pull that off inside of 1 patch, then it will be a seriously awesome piece of kit...
    Well based on something @Digital_Igloo said before, with no amp sims, it should be able to run at least 10-14 effects at once if I recall correctly. Most of my dream-rig setup is routing and workflow heavy, rather than effects and amp sims heavy.
  • Just ordered mine, I'll see what I think after the Yamaha session, but at the very least I'll have 14 days to try it out at home with my gear before making a decision.

Looks like I'll be going for a very different setup to either Drew or Welshboyo, so I'll probably get some vid demos up of the interface once it ships.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just pre-ordered a Helix from Absolute Music in Bournemouth, which is my local store. The sales guy said they are due in at the end of September. Haven't got an exact date yet though.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Lots of preorders on here.

I predict a few will appear on the classifieds shortly :)
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    edited August 2015

^ Quite likely @Mellowsun! The interface is the key selling point here for me, I've been happy enough with modellers for quite a while now but hadn't found a unit that I could setup in the precise way I wanted other than the NI Guitar Rig Kontrol interface. My main problem with that is that it was tied to my laptop and couldn't be used independently.

If I haven't got the hang of the interface within the return period then I'll end up sending back the one I've bought, regardless of how it sounds.

*edit* Ordered mine through Andertons due to the 0% (to make it easier to swallow), and the unexpected bonus of having an entire £4 knocked off from some old points I'd acquired there! :D

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom