Recommended Recording Studio in Bath/Bristol area

My band is looking to record a few tracks for a 'quality' cd demo to go out to future clients. We are a function/covers band with quite a punchy sound. Can anyone recommend a studio in the Bath area ideally that isn't too expensive and has experienced good results with them?

Thanks
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    i dunno if they are any good but factory studios do some recording I think http://www.factorystudios.co.uk/

as do the Access to Music studios  http://www.accesstomusic.co.uk/centres/bristol.

we have rehearsals at the ATM studios but haven't recorded bugger all

Nick
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    HI
    Not sure if this would be of interest to you but I am an Audio Music Technology student at UWE and we have a fantastic studio which provided I have suitible notice for i could book you into to do a few recordings.
    Feel free to drop me a PM and see if we can arrange something if it appeals.
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    edited November 2013

a bit of a way, but Giant Wafer studio just North of Llandrindod Wells is really good value, has cheap accommodation too.

It's on a farm, has large live spaces, Protools HD, engineer available at low cost

I know that Seth Lakeman did an album there, check out the site to see who else

• If you're talking central Bath, email Moles and ask them how much. 

If that's too expensive, hit Bristol. There are tons of small places around here that'll get the job done and are likely to be cheaper. 

• The key things are cost but also we would need the recording to be separated so we can avoid bleed and tweak levels etc of each instrument. I think Moles will be expensive but I will certainly check all your suggestions out. 

Thanks
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    The key things are cost but also we would need the recording to be separated so we can avoid bleed and tweak levels etc of each instrument. I think Moles will be expensive but I will certainly check all your suggestions out. 

Thanks
    If cost really is the key thing then you really ought to be talking to MattG (he's my son by the way...), as you don't get cheaper than free (give or take a beer or two). :-)

I've seen the UWE studios, and while they're free of fripperies they're otherwise well equipped, modern, and equipped to professional levels with a wide range of "Industry Standard" kit. The students may be students but they train under, until they find their feet are supervised by, and are advised by lecturers with years of practical experience who are for the most part still working professionals rather than pure academics and by the time they're let loose in the studios to do recording projects independently (which they've got a strong incentive to get right because they'll be asessed and the results go towards their final degree award!) they know what they're doing.  Matthew certainly does because he's well into his second year now and had been doing this stuff (working with everything from hip-hop artists to a choral society) for a couple of years at sixth-form college in Braintree before he even started at UWE...

I know Matthew really prefers to record bands as bands but if you really want to go that way then they've got multiple rooms, isolation booths, and the whole nine yards so you can get as much isolation between tracks as you could ever wish for :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited November 2013
    Thanks JayGee. Actually Matt and I have been talking already. Just emailed him in fact :)
    JayGee;75262" said:
    hotpickups said:

The key things are cost but also we would need the recording to be separated so we can avoid bleed and tweak levels etc of each instrument. I think Moles will be expensive but I will certainly check all your suggestions out. 

Thanks

If cost really is the key thing then you really ought to be talking to MattG (he's my son by the way...), as you don't get cheaper than free (give or take a beer or two). :-)

I've seen the UWE studios, and while they're free of fripperies they're otherwise well equipped, modern, and equipped to professional levels with a wide range of "Industry Standard" kit. The students may be students but they train under, until they find their feet are supervised by, and are advised by lecturers with years of practical experience who are for the most part still working professionals rather than pure academics and by the time they're let loose in the studios to do recording projects independently (which they've got a strong incentive to get right because they'll be asessed and the results go towards their final degree award!) they know what they're doing.  Matthew certainly does because he's well into his second year now and had been doing this stuff (working with everything from hip-hop artists to a choral society) for a couple of years at sixth-form college in Braintree before he even started at UWE...

I know Matthew really prefers to record bands as bands but if you really want to go that way then they've got multiple rooms, isolation booths, and the whole nine yards so you can get as much isolation between tracks as you could ever wish for :-)