What's your favourite Johnny Marr guitar moment?

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
Playing some Smiths the other day made me realise how much I love the whole approach and sound on "Shoplifters of the World..."

So that's probably my favourite Marr moment (along with the solo).

Close second and third would be Electronic's and "Getting Away with it" and his raw precision (if that's not a paradox)on "Handsome Devil"

Your faves?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited June 2015
    "How Soon is Now?" is an amazing track. Utterly brilliant layered parts and it's incredible for its period.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    When he unplugged it.
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    Suffer little children. I love the melodic vibe. Surprisingly difficult to play yet looks simple on paper.
    Headmaster ritual and the open E tuning would be my favourite. It's a great, great song and I never tire of listening to it, let alone playing it, it always feels good (baby).
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    i agree with headmaster ritual, its a power house. but my favourite marr-ism is just the sounds he got with the smiths. really unique and you know its him straight off. absolute legend
    How very rock and roll
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Intro to What difference does it make, closely followed by the rhythmic solo fills in Kirsty MacColl's Walking Down Madison Avenue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Probably:

William, It was really nothing
    What difference does it make
    How soon is now?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    axisus;679922" said:
    When he unplugged it.
    I agree. His acoustic playing on tracks like "Bigmouth" is really belting isn't it?

;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23047
    I'm not really familiar with very much of the Smiths' material apart from the singles, so there may be loads of good stuff I've never heard, but guitar-wise I do think How Soon Is Now? is rather wonderful.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    All of Heaven knows I'm miserable now. The intro and build up is sublime.

Cemetary Gates is lovely too. I'm a big fan of the layering.. subtle and perfect imo.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Ahh Johnny Marr, perhaps the most marmitey of all TFB guitarists. Not had a Johnny Marr thread for weeks, most overdue..

Paul Read Smith said something in a video, can't remember exactly what or when, but it was along the lines of "all of the great guitarists can be identified within 3 notes"

Love him or hate him, Johnny Marr is instantly recognisable within 3 notes.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    edited June 2015
    As HSiN has been suggested i will go for the intro of This Charming Man.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    My 2 favourites have already been posted, but I'll mention them again. Headmaster Ritual is *awesome* and This Charming Man has the best intro I've ever heard. The whole guitar part is wonderful too, but dat intro do!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Skarloey said:
    axisus;679922" said:
    When he unplugged it.
    I agree. His acoustic playing on tracks like "Bigmouth" is really belting isn't it?

;)

I have to say, when I read the thread title it was 'Bigmouth' that sprang to mind. Love that acoustic. It's like a sledgehammer.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    Charming Man, obviously. 

But then Morrissey ruined it with his usual whinging.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1211
    Where do you start when there are so many moments of brilliance? The first Smiths song that I really loved was What Difference Does it Make. It's just great how he layered all of the guitar tracks and the way it builds up to a climax at the end. Genius, and he was only 21 at the time! =D>
    Link to my trading feedback
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    I think What Difference Does It Make is probably my favourite guitar track of his.

How Soon Is Now is fantastic but I see that more as genius production than guitaring - the trem effect was created by him and the producer manipulating the trems on multiple amps at the same time.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    The chords to That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore is up there with everything else mentioned here .. Sublime to say the least.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Well, I respect Johnny although I don't really have much of his music, just a smiths best of. However, by far my favourite moment was when I saw his interview about the Johnny Marr Jaguar. Unlike many other sig guitars which just have a different pickup or neck profile, Johnny really took the job of redesigning the Jag and I was so impressed I went and bought one. And its a truly excellent guitar! After I bought it I noticed Johnny was playing locally and I was gonna go but then some work came up and I couldn't make it. But what a geezer and what a great guitar he made!

And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited June 2015
    There are clearly so, so many.  I will say although not a moment as such, that I always think his greatest moment (which is as much as a writer as a guitarist) is the entirety of How Soon Is Now.  It is IMO one of the greatest recordings ever put to tape.  So many great guitar ideas and if you listen to it now it genuinely could have been recorded yesterday.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I don't think a better acoustic song has ever been made than Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Also:
    Stop crying, start buying