Smooth Hound Innovations - Classic Wireless Guitar System

What's Hot

Comments

• BGGBGG Frets: 688
    Looks nice but the wrong type of power supply and the 'guitar bug' style transmitter are odd decisions. one or other of those - let alone both - would make it a non starter for me.
    Hi Moe,
    Another small adapter (Neutrik NYS236 female-female 1/4 inch jack socket available from various suppliers) can be used to transform your guitar bug into a small strap or belt mountable body pack ... I think that's all the adapters you'll need :)
    Is this a stable connection ? any pics ?
    This is what's putting me off buying one at present I don't like the bug type.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @SmoothHoundUK, very valid reasons, if I say so me-self. :)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow and I'm rehearsing so I'll post a review and see how well it fits onto a les paul.  I'd have preferred a body pack but I'm willing to try the bug and see how it goes. 
  • BGG said:
    Looks nice but the wrong type of power supply and the 'guitar bug' style transmitter are odd decisions. one or other of those - let alone both - would make it a non starter for me.
    Hi Moe,
    Another small adapter (Neutrik NYS236 female-female 1/4 inch jack socket available from various suppliers) can be used to transform your guitar bug into a small strap or belt mountable body pack ... I think that's all the adapters you'll need :)
    Is this a stable connection ? any pics ?
    This is what's putting me off buying one at present I don't like the bug type.
    We have plenty of customers using this combination. John from The Feelgood Band demos nicely in this video. The Neutrik female-female connector is a quality part that fits perfectly.
  • Hi, do you have any future plans to make a system for mic's that need phantom power, been looking for a good simple system that doesn't cost thousands.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Olafgarten,
    A mic version is one of the options that I'm thinking about for our next product. You're not the first person to ask about it. It's certainly achievable (including a 48V phantom power output is not a problem or particularly expensive). I need to get a better idea of the potential market size - ie number of people wanting to convert their current mics to wireless for c. £150+ as opposed to buying a wireless mic - and weigh that up against the tooling costs etc.
    Chris
  • @John_P How are you finding your unit?
    @John_P How are you finding your unit?

I'm overdue posting a review as I wanted to do a few more gigs an experiments to check something.

In short,  both parts looks really well made and feel solid.  Using it is almost too easy - just turn it on and let them pair up - I'm used having options and things to adjust.   Soundwise it's great and certainly as good as anything else I've used  (senn, akg, trantec).   Battery life is great and probably better than previous units.  

The only flaw I can find is the sticky pads to hold it in place.   I've tried mine with PRS, strats and a Les Paul and at first it seems to hold it in place but after a few seconds comes loose so the transmitter is flapping around and only held in place by the jack.    Chris very kindly sent me some more sticky pads but the same result so either I'm doing something wrong or it isn't sticky enough for me.     I've ordered a jack adaptor so I can use as a belt pack style and I'll see how that feels.

• Just seen the ad in G and B - Jan Akkerman as a user /endorser. :(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Bought mine a couple of weeks ago. So far I've just wandered around the house playing random licks, but I get the chance to use it at the first rehearsal this year after our New Year break. Looking forward to it.
  • Just seen the ad in G and B - Jan Akkerman as a user /endorser. :(|)
    Jan Akkerman came to our stand at Musik Messe in Frankfurt last April ... and I didn't recognise him.  :\">
    In the autumn, he reviewed a set for Gitaar Plus magazine in Holland and liked it so much he wanted to endorse it :)

In other news, we're at the Formby guitar show near Liverpool tomorrow, come and say hello if you're in the area. http://www.b-visible.co.uk/businesses/72/mojo.html
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    How are people getting on? I quite fancy cutting down on cables.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    How are people getting on? I quite fancy cutting down on cables.

I love mine. It's as simple as using a cable. Sounds great, very fast (low latency) and unobtrusive. I'll do a full review shortly, but I'm very happy indeed.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    It's excellent. I hear no loss at all and there's no detectable latency. The sense of freedom on stage plus the ability to do a soundcheck from out at the front is brilliant.
    Now that a few more people have them,  I'd be interested how well you find it sticks to the guitar?       

I finally got around to testing the battery life when I was learning some tunes last week and forgot to turn it off - the next evening it still have some life in it - amazingly low current  draw.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    @John_P I haven't actually used the sticky pad at all. It's probably still sitting in the box. I stick the transmitter in my back pocket and use a Nueitrik in-line connector and a patch lead to connect to the guitar. If I change guitar I just unplug the patch lead.

This wasn't for any specific reason other than the more you plug and unplug something and open and close the transmitter hinge, the more likely it will be to fail. When it's in my pocket it's safe.
    I need to try using it that way,   the joint definitely feels looser after a few months gigging it  (probably not helped by the way it swings around when it comes unstuck).   

It does sound good and I love the simple set up free operation.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    ThorpyFX said:
    I'll do a full review shortly
    Yes please, and how about you too @John_P?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 446
    After the positive reviews on here - and with birthday money fresh in my account - I have just ordered myself a Smooth Hound.

Am looking forward to ditching the cable...
  • Your set's winging its way to Kent, Dave. :)