Carlsbro Amps

What's Hot
VaernimaVaernima Frets: 4
Herro there people. So I've been using Carlsbro VAC15 Classic amp for a few months now.
People always ask about it and kind of 'remember' Carlsbro from the past or seeing it around in places.

I always thought the brand was kind of solid state practise amps (which I've learned they do a lot of) products.
But this amp is all valve and it's really fun to use. Sounds lush.

Who's had experience with this brand? Old and new products. From looking at the website they've been around for donkeys.
What's your thoughts.
Discuss :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I remember they did a 500 watt 2x12+1x15 solid state metal stack.

Lololol I love the 90s.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaernimaVaernima Frets: 4
    Everyone's got a cool story about their old amps.
    I feel left out being with their new stuff. But it's ok.....still happy with the amp.

90's was ace. Yeah.

I don't quite know where to place these amps in time though. It seems they've been around and respected....but it's almost like they've never been marketed like Marshall or Vox in the UK. Dark horse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Through a lot of the 70s and 80s it seemed like every bass amp and small PA was Carlsboro. They also had a small chain of instrument shops at one point. I think I'm right in saying the ownership has changed hands a few times and it is pretty much just a brand name now without a lot of link to the past. There have been reissues of their 60s valve amps but I'm sure there's a limited market for that kind of stuff. Distribution seems to have been through small, independent shops so they have a very low profile.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I suppose it might be hard to maintain any kind of brand identity if your ownership keeps changing.
    I've seen the name on some PA speakers and some power amps too.

But mostly always came across them in practise studios where you'd see an old battered Carlsbro solid state amp in the corner, try it and go 'uuuuurgh no thanks".
    So was completely taken off guard for something to sound this good.
    I don't know whether it's because it's valve sound or just well designed sound. Maybe both.

Always was a Marshall man until this. Now the preconceptions have kinda gone away.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    A mate had an early 80s Hornet guitar combo. IMO it was even naffer than "New labour + The EU" but he loved it. I now have a 90W keyboard combo and it does its job well.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I reccomend people track down and try a Carlsbro Fatboy - great amp (if my memory served me well)
    This thing! Looks cool. There's a sound clip on this thread.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/123738-carlsbro-fatboy.html

I guess sometimes we all find a love for things others consider naff cause it makes it more individual to your sound - that is if you can actually get the best out of the amp yourself.
    Here's the Hornet! Liked the logo more from that era to be honest.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/solid-state-combo-guitar-amp/carlsbro/hornet-45-lead/medias/pictures/a.play,m.701613.html
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    The old valve amps from the 60's and 70's are definitely under-rated in my opinion. Great amps for very little money. They must have been massive back in the day, especially in PA gear. The amount of stuff still knocking around from that period is good evidence of that.

Here is a guy I know in France with a CS60TC combo I sold him a few years back. The goodmans were not stock on these, they came with Celestion G12H originally:

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    I use a Carlsbro PA and I think it's great. Need the 600W active subs though.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I'm beginning to believe in G12H's for clean harmonic sounds. I think they completely don't work for high gain in my taste.
    I like the retro amps. They're all built like tanks - back from the days when things were build to last not landfill.
    Carlsbro seems to be good by those standards.

viz said:
    I use a Carlsbro PA and I think it's great. Need the 600W active subs though.

I did a little bit of research before I bought my VAC15 Classic and have learned Carlsbro don't do PA anymore. Just guitar amps, some electronic drums and a few headphones (oddly enough) called Hurtz.
    They actually are brother company to another old skool UK company called Studiomaster. I believe the latter took over all the PA products...so that's probably a good place to start looking.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Thanks for that :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    I've said it a number of times before and I'll probably say it  again a thousand times...

The best, biggest, baddest, most awesome rock'n'roll guitar sound I've ever ever heard was a guy playing with Eddie & The Hot-Rods aat Kelvedon Festival a few years ago. A battered SG Special, one pedal (not sure what), and an old (non-reissue) Carlsbro 50 Top cranked up to somewhere just north of the pain threshold. 

The only way I can describe what it sounded like is to suggest you try to imagine what Angus had in his head but never quite managed on his best days...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    A mate had an early 80s Hornet guitar combo. IMO it was even naffer than "New labour + The EU" but he loved it. I now have a 90W keyboard combo and it does its job well.

I remember trying one of those Hornet combos when they were new in the early 80s. Thought the choice of name was entirely appropriate :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah. A lot of people have mentioned that one in particular.
    Sounds like it would have that classic rock feel to it.

The British sound hasn't ever struck me as high gain as American sound, so its got that raspy sound.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I had a 100 Top back in the early 70's. About the size of a Marshall JMP with a yellow control plate and 'smartie' knobs ( which were more than a bit uncool). It was a good sounding amp but with no master volume and no money for the very few good sounding pedals around then, it was a bit impractical for pub gigs
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    I had a mid aged student end last year mad on the Shadows(!) and who had inherited an SG and a C'boro Stingray 30 combo and had no idea how to best dial it or the guitar.. From my memory of the 70s I didn't hold out much hope for anything worthwhile, but it was quite a nice sounding ss amp. Even the dirt wasn't totally unusable and it did pack a punch. I think it frightened the life out of him when I opened it up with his SG... he stopped coming after that! In fairness, he was hospitalised so maybe that had something to do with it...!

http://mlb-s2-p.mlstatic.com/amplificador-carlsbro-stingray-lead-30w-17822-MLB20144565416_082014-F.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Vaernima said:
    Who's had experience with this brand? Old and new products.
    Just remember them from old rehearsal room days.  One of those brands where you imagine that after the nuclear winter clears and we are all dust, all that will be left will be a cockroach, playing a Fender Telecaster, through a Boss pedal and a Carlsbro amp.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    The bass player out of the jam used to use a Cbro cab. This is about the only big name player Ive seen using them though lol.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    Pretty sure Andy Gill from Gang Of Four used a Solid State one