Fender Supersonic 22 are they really unreliable? YES. Is the answer...but they sound awesome

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    The reverb pans are the weak link in these amps. To be honest they are the weak link in most! Hence the reason we've changed to Ruby (and we're pushing the quality up in those with each run too)

There was a popping issue on early models but this has since been rectified and there is a tech note to mod older models. (and they all have the 7 pin cable, it's the 60 that has the jack)

This 2nd hand unit is technically out of warranty but as it's a known issue we can supply a replacement reverb pan FOC. Just get the dealer to give us a call with the serial.

The only other issue has been bad valves which often manifests itself in hiss and high levels of noise. We generally swap out the valves for Groove Tubes 12AX7-R or -M if they come back for this and that sorts it. Unfortunately in today's world it's hard to get enough good valves in the quantity we need! I know there is progress with some of the Chinese factories and we're working hard with them to improve both the overall quality of what they supply and the longevity of the valves.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    MattFGBI said:
    The reverb pans are the weak link in these amps. To be honest they are the weak link in most! Hence the reason we've changed to Ruby (and we're pushing the quality up in those with each run too)
    Good to hear that a company your size is doing something about this very annoying problem, since it will hopefully benefit everyone in the end.

MattFGBI said:
    There was a popping issue on early models but this has since been rectified and there is a tech note to mod older models. (and they all have the 7 pin cable, it's the 60 that has the jack)
    My mistake, I was sure I'd seen a 22 with the jack too but I must be wrong!

Still doesn't explain why they can use the proper system on the 60s and the crap one on the 22s though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    MattFGBI said:

This 2nd hand unit is technically out of warranty but as it's a known issue we can supply a replacement reverb pan FOC. Just get the dealer to give us a call with the serial.

The only other issue has been bad valves which often manifests itself in hiss and high levels of noise. We generally swap out the valves for Groove Tubes 12AX7-R or -M if they come back for this and that sorts it. Unfortunately in today's world it's hard to get enough good valves in the quantity we need! I know there is progress with some of the Chinese factories and we're working hard with them to improve both the overall quality of what they supply and the longevity of the valves.
    @MattFGBI I am buying this amp in Switzerland, would the Reverb Pan offer still apply via Fender Gmbh? If so I will get the dealer to call - he is a genuine fender dealer too if that helps.

The sad thing for me is that I will hardly use the reverb anyway, as I use the Neuenaber Wet... 

Will see what the dealer says, I want it a lot as it sounds cracking... pretty sure no valve issues with this as with the reverb off it was very quiet..
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    ^ pretty impressed with the above service. The "I wont use it anyway" bit made me chuckle; reverb on my twin is lovely, but no way does it overtake the Supermoon. Would still be pissed if it broke though :D
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Kudos to @MattFGBI again and again. You gotta recognise such professionalism in a sea of amateurs.
    GavHaus said:
    ^ pretty impressed with the above service. The "I wont use it anyway" bit made me chuckle; reverb on my twin is lovely, but no way does it overtake the Supermoon. Would still be pissed if it broke though :D
    sure, it sounds a bit surly, but you know what gear is like - will probably sell the amp one day and that's much harder to do when broken ;) and in fact I won't buy it if broken (unless it peanuts), so even though I won't use it much, it's gotta be a full working amp right?

Chalky said:
    Kudos to @MattFGBI again and again. You gotta recognise such professionalism in a sea of amateurs.
    yup, I've said it to Matt before when he's helped me - fender are really lucky (as is the FB) to have him - any company can have QC issues and when QC is on 3rd party components it's out of their control as they normally have a deal to buy in bulk etc, what does matter is how fender deal with it and Matt is a beacon of helpfulness in a sea of customer service apathy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    I only replaced mine cos a Carr Rambler come along... you can just see the SS behind here...

• Pal of mine is a gigging pro and he's been using one fr ages... Sounds ace too...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Fender Germany may not be so flexible! :-)
    Worth asking though. Let me know if you have any problems.
    Thanks for the positive comments!
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• FezFez Frets: 499
    The other guitarist in my band has one and he has had some funny noises from it but some days it's OK. The footswitch is a bit complicated for him so I don't know if it pops 'cos he doesn't use it.
    Don't touch that dial.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I tried out a supersonic when I bought my strat, thought it was a lovely sounding amp.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    Sounds great, hisses when idle, no more or less than my DRRI but noticable unless you go over 3 on the volume. Reverb adds  noise, useable but nothing like a blackface tank. First one I had died on me, the one I tried in store was also broken (tube issue) got a replacement quick enough. Looking at a SS60 for added headroom but might just gig with two amps, we'll see.

If you get one, do so second hand and spend some cash working out it's problems and you'll have a solid amp. I got mine as a gigging amp for ease of transport/weight.
    @Ché Well, it's a 2nd hand one I'm looking at - but when I tried it the reverb was broken so obviously I didn't buy it. Shop sent it to be fixed, should be getting a new tank, then I will stump up the cash..

• ChéChé Frets: 304
    The resale value is pretty good so if it's more trouble than it's worth you can flip it without too much loss.

About 4 on the clean channel volume is where it starts to loose clean headroom, interestingly that's about as loud as I normally play at gigs and practice so it works quite well, sounds better with single coils in that application though IMO.

It's pretty much a Deluxe Reverb with the most versitile gain channel thanks to the EQ. I personally think they should have kept the vibrato and reverb from the DRRI but that would probably dwindle the sales of DRRI's.
    Ohhh it arrived to day - just collected it :) Reverb all working, let's see how long it lasts!

Whats with the awful rubber handle though? I just had to carry it 2-3 kms back to work, not much fun at all..
    Had a good long session with this amp last night, definitely has the sound I've been looking for. Interesting is that since the reverb was fixed there is alot more background hiss than before. Also interesting is that turning the fx loop on reduces the hiss considerably.

still its not loud enough to bother me when playing so i can live with it.

Also happy to see the cable for the fs is a custom one the previous owner had built by a very good local builder. Happy with that.
  • ravirajaniravirajani Frets: 42
    tFB Trader
    MattFGBI said:

Could you share the tech note with me please?