Best device for recording practice sessions?

What's Hot
I am looking to purchase something to record band practices, place in the middle of the room and download and play back afterward. Any recommendations? Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I'm using a zoom h2n. It's bern incredible for that purpose, and has proved really invaluable for listening back and critiqing/cringing. Here's a recent recording made with it. It's a very small room, so the mic volume needs to be very low, but i think it pics everything up really well.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    +1 for the zoom.  I use the H2 and it's been very handy over the years. 

I might dig mine out and record tomorrow nights gig to help the drummer realise that a metronome would be nice.

• one of my bands uses a zoom h2, awesome little gadget.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • John_P said:
    +1 for the zoom.  I use the H2 and it's been very handy over the years. 

I might dig mine out and record tomorrow nights gig to help the drummer realise that a metronome would be nice.

Are we in the same band? Or perhaps all drummers are the same! Thanks for the responses, will check the Zoom out.
  • Our drummer insists that the click slows down.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    we have just recorded ours with a couple of behringer C1 mikes into an audio interface (like the M audio fastrack) (and onto a laptop

had to put a line of chairs draped with coats in front of the drummer to reduce his impact but I think they are going to come out OK - 

we need soundclips for the website

• BodBod Frets: 1298
    I picked up a cheapish Line6 Backtrack+Mic from Basschat.  It's a bit limited functionally (ie only configurable by connecting it to the PC, and it's only mono), but it does a pretty good job of recording rehearsals.