Live low end on guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325

i play in a couple of bands one of which is function based.  Used to have the fender supersonic. now use a h&K statesman El34 head, with a zilla cab (closed).    Works brilliantly for both bands, and I think the H&K is a vast improvement on the supersonic personally.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    MartinW That sounds like my kind of rig
    I use a Marshall DSL401 and if I need it a closed back 1x12 Usually have the 401 up on a stand.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Fez said:
    I use a Marshall DSL401 and if I need it a closed back 1x12 Usually have the 401 up on a stand.

Sounds good. A lot to be said for vertical stacking like that, and option of extra cab or not, depending on venue. Fits in a small car too.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Fez said:

If you're struggling with low end, try a bad monkey* with the bass set high, treble to taste and gain set low. Works really well for me anyway.

I'll get back on the Marshall GV-2 when I've had a proper try with it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited December 2013
    Just swapped out the combo completely for an Orange OR100 and an orange 4x12- that was the missing link - awesome amp, killer on the back though!!!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Just swapped out the combo completely for an Orange OR100 and an orange 4x12- that was the missing link - awesome amp, killer on the back though!!!!!
    Hehheh… that will do the trick :).

It's always found that this business of using more midrange, or cutting bass or whatever in order to be heard is a bit of a compromise… when what you really need is just MORE POWER :D.

Surprisingly I find it doesn't always mean you need more volume, either - bigger amps can fill a space more effectively without needing to be as loud as small ones, often. I don't actually play any louder with a 100W amp than I do with a 15W one, it's just that it makes a much bigger, fuller sound that carries further and isn't as directional. (Sometimes this is the opposite of what you want though, I know - especially in a dense mix.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein