The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I've been a bike rider for some 60 years now (yes, yes, I am quite tired..) I was an amateur racer, never much good in fact I was/am a bloody awful bike handler and I have a series of scars down my left side from falling off countless times.   It was an "off" that curtailed my guitar playing for a long time and my left hand still doesn't fully function but it's a great excuse for bum notes!

In my prime I was doing around 10,000 miles a year, and I was discussing the old days with a friend recently, we were both of the opinion that it wouldn't be possible to do that nowadays without incident.  First because of the increase in traffic, second because of the state of the roads.  We never used to wear helmets of course but I do now simply because there is a fair chance that at some point you will miss a pothole, rut etc.   I wish I could get into mountain biking but it's just not my thing.  It's such a shame the roads are so neglected as I notice there are far more cyclists about these days with many rediscovering the fun of riding a bike during the lockdown.  

I don't aspire to the latest gear any more, but I do marvel at the technology these days, especially in frame design and building.  There's so much choice and really lightweight gear is so affordable.  It's a bit like guitars really, the younger generation have no idea how lucky they are.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1808
    Road bike plus 30C tyres for the win on modern roads. Lower pressure for comfort and tubeless for puncture protection. I’ve not had to walk home or change a tube for a couple of years. If not longer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    edited February 2021
    @Jaycee ;;

Similar tale here. Just started back on the bike this week after being off it since October and due to no squash over the winter months it felt like I'd lost a lung

https://i.imgur.com/GRYMN0G.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Necro thread! This sort of thing would be better left and a new thread started. Seems a bit pointless to tack onto 5 year old information ...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    Brio said:
    Hardtails just aren't as fun, even for milder trails I prefer having both ends of the bike doing the same thing

I totally agree. Full bounce or rigid for me. I had a Fatty with a Bluto fork and hated it so went back to rigid.

Yep there's something fun about fully rigid, although I probably wouldn't fancy it for serious trails. Fine for the local bridleways and stuff. I always liked the idea of singlespeed too but I find it a bit much for MTB. Really like it on a road bike as it forces me to keep at a certain pace and push harder than I would with gears. In the East Midlands we don't have too many big hills so short and sharp are ok with SS! Road isn't fun either way so might as well make it a good workout!
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    Logie said:
    @Jaycee ;;

Similar tale here. Just started back on the bike this week after being off it since October and due to no squash over the winter months it felt like I'd lost a lung

You play Squash as well,

axisus said:
    Necro thread! This sort of thing would be better left and a new thread started. Seems a bit pointless to tack onto 5 year old information ...

Just curious, from a mods' point of view is there any problem re-surfacing and old thread which would serve the same purpose?
    @Jaycee ;

When I can get on a court :)

I used to split it between squash and cycling Mar-Nov and winter months squash and gym/spinning ( weekends off ) but everything was a bit hit and miss last year. I'm back on it now though cycling wise and can't wait for the gyms to open up again just in time for my 60th!
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I might be after a new MTB. I've got a fairly old Specialized Rockhopper that I bought secondhand with a few upgrades - Fox forks and Avid Juicy disc brakes. It's great, but a bit past it and my wife likes to ride that for casual rides. I figured I'd let her use that and I'll look for something new and shiny.

I've got a nice road bike and a commuter road bike with gravel tyres and disc brakes. I don't think I'll find a dual suspension bike that's worth buying for less than £1000 but I don't know much about them.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited March 2021
    I've always bought 2nd hand. Like guitars new bike prices are pretty ridiculous and have been on the up for ages. MTB'ers always seem to be prone to falling for the latest trend and swap out their gear for the latest new and shiny quite regularly. Most people don't really ride them as hard as they'd like to think so unless you're buying from a proper DH rider you'll probably get a lot of life out of something used! 

I don't really like the place much but Singletrack World forum is probably the best forum to go for used stuff. Best to steer clear of the chat forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • New shoes day! For me and the bike :)

No photo description available

Fizik Tempo and Conti GP5000 28mm.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    Ohh they look nice,

I just put on a short 155mm wide saddle, first impressions are good, I had a Fizik Arione on there before, which was good but a bit narrow for me.
    Just did a lumpy 20 miler, my legs felt like jelly, and my chest full of cotton wool........feel beter now tho'
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3058
    I bottled it this weekend. I had a couple of things to deal with and used them as an excuse. I need to get back out there.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• am very excited to be picking up my new road bike tomorrow (planet x spitfire ti).

this will be my third ever road bike after a raleigh elan in mint green bought early 90's and then a 2012-13 specialized tarmac sport (both great bikes i must add). 

have lusted after a ti road bike for literally decades,so finally getting one is like blinkin crimbo and my birthday in one lol.

will be doing a nice 10 mile walk to shop first thing tomorrow to pick it up (obviously respecting covid etc,will have my mask).

i cannot bloody wait tbh :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've managed to clock up about 120 mile in the last couple of weeks just doing 20 milers. Slow going though and I can definitely tell I've been off the bike a while! 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1808
    The mileage will soon get easier. Nice work everyone getting back out there.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    I've been a cyclist for the past 30-odd years. I have a Cannondale Synapse road bike and an Orange 5 Pro bouncer.

I average around 1100 miles per year from going out on a Saturday/Sunday morning for a couple of hours, and an hour at lunchtime when working from home.

https://i.imgur.com/nuWjRH6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f4RGi1K.jpg
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    I have always enjoyed cycling but have never been very consistent apart from a bit in my 30s when I had a fantastic rigid mountain bike (Saracen Kili Comp). I'd go through periods of over training then not being able to look at the bike again for months. Several years went by without having a bike (all sorts of excuses, work, family, other hobbies, etc) but in 2015 I bought a Genesis Equilibrium 853 (I love old school technology) and again didn't get in to a good routine until lockdown started in March 2020. 

Being retired now I had no excuse, it was a challenge getting in to a routine but the good weather and quiet roads were very encouraging. I had to keep a check on myself as I was well aware that I could fall back in to doing too much to soon and over train. I did what I felt was a sensible mix of riding, walking and having rest days. I went from doing 12 miles a day avaeraging 12mph to now doing upto 36 miles (which to some will seem little) and avarage speed on a good day is just over 16mph.

I've had a little break over Christmas and early New Year due to weather (I won't go out if there is risk of ice) and moving home. We've retired to Anglesey (Trearddur Bay) a few weeks ago. I've been back cycling and walking again. My fitness levels are so much better, my mental health is a lot better, I drink less (not that it was overly excessive), sleep has improved and I've lost about 35lb in weight.

I love cycling and all the benefits it brings but just have to make sure I don't over do it and neglect guitar time (as I'm still shit) or the wife.

Happy days (sorry for the boring ramble)!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Great picture.

I went out on Saturday for the first time in long time.  Took it gently for about 10 miles, as I have got very unfit working from home with no cycle to work.

My daughters are back in school this week, so I'm going to try to get out at lunchtimes until the evenings are lighter.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I don't have a fancy road bike, it's a 10 year old crossover jobbie complete with racks so I dare not even weigh it.
    That said I've been trying to improve my health since stopping work at Christmas. I've had a few rides and I'm working up  from 9 miles to 15 and 17 more recently. I seem to recover better now and plan to get above 20 miles each time. Come the better weather the opportunities will be more frequent. Watch this space.