The Venom V2

OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10254
edited November 2013 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Here's one of the new V range from OCP the V2 Venom :) I thought I'd tell you all a little about the thinking that went behind it's design.
Firstly I've been making more and more high output humbuckers to special order for customers and so it seemed only sensible to release the resultant designs as standard models.
There are a lot of similarities between the concept of the Venom and a certain other famous aftermarket pickup: they are both 17k, designed for the bridge position and are equipped with alnico 5 magnets. but I wanted to take that basic idea and make a much more 'organic' sounding pickup. I wanted to loose some of the ice-pick brittleness on the top end and ensure that backing off on the volume cleaned up the output evenly. I wanted a thoroughly tight and modern bottom end, with a pickup that could cut it with blues through to balls to the wall metal. The other criteria was that it must split well ... this was a selfish thing really, as I knew I was going to put one in my Epi Flying V ... and I wanted to be able to get a convincing Tele tone for use in my own band.

Well I'm going to be conceited and say I'm delighted with the Venom ... through a Fender Twin and split, I get a very nice single coil sound ... and as I have equipped my V with a progressive split (on the old tone knob) I can dial in any amount 'second coil filth' I want. Pinch harmonics nice and easy (even split) and my flailing attempts at anything vagely 'chug chug' actually sound pretty convincing  ... if, sadly,  at 'half speed' compared to the real experts at that style).

I wrestled with concepts for the pickup's looks long and hard. It comes as standard in 'all black' with black hex-wrench poles (Spinal Tap anyone?) but I also offer it in zebra, reverse zebra and 'Dont Tell Larry' finish ... all with the distinctive black 5mm poles. If anyone wants them with traditional Filister head  screws and slugs I can do that ... but it will change the sound slightly ... then of course you could bury them in 'chrome spam cans' ... shame on you :)
Oh, I find these pair really well with my Scrapyard Dog Plus in the neck ... again I have this in my V ... and I can't stop playing it. Jeez I'm sad ....

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments