Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Learning the notes of the fretboard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited November 2015
    Here is a different method that you probably wont find in any books, and really does help learning the notes in my experience. A lot of fun too.

Get yourself a good echo pedal or software (depending on what your rig is). And set it up so you can play Brian May style 3 note harmonies. (2 repeating notes).

Then 'move' a 3 note chord from the lowest possible place on the lowest string to the highest possible place on the highest string, and back down again. So you work up and down the whole fretboard.

eg to learn the location of notes E, G, & B (which is an Em chord). Play the lowest E note on the thickest string, and then on the repeat you move up and play the next closest G note, and then on the next repeat you play the next closest B note. Keeping the harmony going as you move up the fretboard on each repeat.

If you make a mistake and play a wrong note you will know about it!

Something like this (skip to 2m 18s):

You can impress people because it sounds like you are doing loads of complicated stuff, but actually its really simple to play.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited October 2020
    This is a good method, I was shown a similar method many years ago by Mike Outram.

Thankfully, someone kindly wrote out the steps after watching the video:

"John Mifsud

Thanks! The only thing missing is a summary of the steps. Here's my attempt:

1. Frets 1-12, no open strings. Pick 1 natural note. Play this note on each string from low to high, then from high to low. Once you can play it without mistakes 3 times then do a different note. When you have done all 7 natural notes twice go to step 2.

2. Set metronome to 40 bpm. Play 1 note per beat as in step 1. Once you can do all 7 notes without mistakes go to step 3.

3. Do the sharps & flats for all notes as in step 2.

4. Pick 2 different notes. Play the first note going up & second note going down without stopping. Once this feels easy go to step 5.

5. Arrange the 7 natural notes in a random order (e.g. D F C E A G B) Play each of these notes (with the metronome) in order moving to the next note each time you reach the last string (e.g. D up, F down, C up, etc.) without stopping. When you can do it without mistakes go to step 6.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 gradually increasing the bpm. The goal is to reach 80 bpm."

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    For me, it's all about patterns and concepts.  Without those to structure your thinking, the memorization will be a nightmare.

A couple of mental shortcuts that have worked for me are using octaves, using the pentatonic concept, and using a blend of power chords and triads.

For octaves, check out this video: 

Now, using the octaves, think about the fact that the pentatonic scale works at every point on the fretboard relative to that note.  So the A minor pentatonic shape that we typically start on the fifth fret of the low E string can also be started on the 7th fret of the D string and the 2nd fret of the G string.  Play around and you will find that the "shape" of the scale is the same.

As you play with these scales, try singing the name of each note as yougo.

For power chords, think about how that basic shape puts the root and fifth right there for you.  Then think about how the triad works, giving you the root, the third (whether it's major or minor), and the fifth.  Now, couple this triad with the above octaves trick and you'll see that your power chord can be moved up-and-over just as you would your octave.  It all repeats.

Another trick is based on how we tune our guitars without a tuner, i.e. the fifth fret of the E string is A, the fifth the A string is D, etc etc etc.  But also, the 7th fret of the A string is E, the 7th fret of the D string is A, the 7th fret of the G string is D, etc etc etc.

Here's a couple of other helpful videos:

(Ben Eller's entire "this is why you suck at guitar" series is amazing).

edited October 2020
    Knowing the notes on the fretboard is essential, if you don't want to be stuck playing patterns all your life.

Here's the best exercise to get to know them, spend at least 5min per day, starting slowly is best.

1.) Finding all of the A notes on each string: (High to low strings).

Play all the A notes on the 1st string
        Play all the A notes on the 2nd string
        Play all the A notes on the 3rd string
        Play all the A notes on the 4th string
        Play all the A notes on the 5th string
        Play all the A notes on the 6th string

Repeat the exercise for all natural notes: A,B,C,D,E,F,G.

2.) Find all of the A notes on each string: (Low to high strings).

3.) Repeat the exercises 1 and 2, but start slowly at 40bmp increasing slowly over weeks/months to 80bmp.

4.) Once you can do the above exercises fluently, then repeat exercises 1-2-3 using the sharp notes: A#,C#,D#,F#,G#.

5.) Once you can do the above exercises fluently, then repeat exercises 1-2-3 using the flat notes: Bb,Db,Eb,Gb,Ab.

Even if you think you know the fretboard and have been playing 40+ years, like me, these exercises get difficult, but persevere and you'll get there.

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    give yourself time you dont have to learn it all in a week

learn the notes on the low E string first

you will see the notes on the high E are the same. that's 2 strings learned only 4 to go
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    What I’ve found that works well, is to work on just the low E and A strings and learning only the natural notes up to and including the 12th fret. I do this for a number of reasons,

1. Practical application - it’s where the starting point for the majority of barre chords and scales are found. 

2. Reduces the amount to learn - trying to learn the fretboard is a BIG task. If the natural notes are solid first, that makes it easier to place the sharps and flats and they do work themselves in, as and when the student needs them. 

3. As mentioned already, by learning the low E string you get the high E string by default so there’s half of the strings sorted!

4. Easier to see where notes duplicate. 

The D, G and B strings gradually sort themselves out over time. As @phil_b says, there isn’t a rush. 

GuyBoden said:
    Knowing the notes on the fretboard is essential, if you don't want to be stuck playing patterns all your life.

Here's the best exercise to get to know them, spend at least 5min per day, starting slowly is best.

3.) Repeat the exercises 1 and 2, but start slowly at 40bmp increasing slowly over weeks/months to 80bmp.

4.) Once you can do the above exercises fluently, then repeat exercises 1-2-3 using the sharp notes: A#,C#,D#,F#,G#.

5.) Once you can do the above exercises fluently, then repeat exercises 1-2-3 using the flat notes: Bb,Db,Eb,Gb,Ab.

Even if you think you know the fretboard and have been playing 40+ years, like myself, these exercises get difficult, but persevere and you'll get there.

This really works, you just need to practice it 5mins a day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like @GuyBoden 's method but as well as "all the notes on a single string" I would do it as "do it across all the strings, starting at the nut and working your way up the neck" i.e. for the note E you would play

open E
    open e
    2nd fret D string
    5th fret b string
    7th fret A string

etc etc

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    ^ What's oddly difficult as a sort of twist to this is finding flats and sharps, rather than naturals.  Or maybe it's just me, when I hear Beato and these jazz guys talking about E flat this or flat nine that, I get all discombobulated.
  • I’ve recently recorded a lesson on this for my students. Basically, all methods are good - just need to find what works for you!

A couple of ideas in here not discussed yet. Know your c major scale in 4 positions and learn a simple mnemonic involving Mr. T from the A-Team to instantly work out the natural notes anywhere on the fretboard. Hope this is useful!

https://youtu.be/pqCnfS4ELGk
    I manage Fractal Audio distributor G66 UK (official distributor of Fractal Audio products in the UK) and am also the guy behind a little accessory company called ZenRigs. I also provide private Fractal related training and teach guitar. Hello!
    http://www.g66.eu/   http://www.zenrigs.com/
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    I’ve recently recorded a lesson on this for my students. Basically, all methods are good - just need to find what works for you!

A couple of ideas in here not discussed yet. Know your c major scale in 4 positions and learn a simple mnemonic involving Mr. T from the A-Team to instantly work out the natural notes anywhere on the fretboard. Hope this is useful!

Can’t get the ewe choob to work
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    I’ve recently recorded a lesson on this for my students. Basically, all methods are good - just need to find what works for you!

Can’t get the ewe choob to work

Just checked it - working fine here bud. What is it that’s happening for you?

I manage Fractal Audio distributor G66 UK (official distributor of Fractal Audio products in the UK) and am also the guy behind a little accessory company called ZenRigs. I also provide private Fractal related training and teach guitar. Hello!
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited November 2020
    Working perfectly now - that was weird. Love it, you communicate really well and your video quality and tools are great! And I love the murdock concept

Some use “Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles’ Father” because it works in the other direction too (Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle) but yours is definitely memorable!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Working perfectly now - that was weird. Love it, you communicate really well and your video quality and tools are great! And I love the murdoch concept

Some use “Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles’ Father” because it works in the other direction too (Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle) but yours is definitely memorable!

Ah, that's great - thanks man - glad you liked it! (and, yes, I now remember the phrase my friend used all those years ago was something like that, but, c'mon.. A-Team man! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    GuyBoden said:

Even if you think you know the fretboard and have been playing 40+ years, like me, these exercises get difficult, but persevere and you'll get there.

This method really works, you just need to do 5mins a day. It's not pattern based, so eventually you just know where the notes are on the fretboard instinctively.

For a bit of a change after a while, I found it beneficial to reorder the notes in the exercise:

Example reordered notes:
    D,B,G,A,F,C,E

Example find each note in a scale:
    D,E,F#,G,A,B,C#
    or
    Bb,C,D,Eb,F,G,A
    etc

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3528
    I did it by doing In- position reading exercises. - learning it rote, essentially. So it's just there.  When I practice scales, I sing the note name just before I play them. I'm trying to connect it all up in my head. Brain, fretboard. I practice scales and arpeggios slowly, and in many ways. One string, two, etc.