Budget mic for use with pod studio ux2

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
edited November 2013 in Studio & Recording
I have a pod studio with phantom power and xlr and analogue and I don't even know what else.

Thing is, while the modelling is okay, I find amps much easier to achieve useful sounds with. So is there a decent mic for around 50 squids or less that'll let me sound decent? It'll go through the pod studio and into ableton, but might look into reaper.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Edit: moved
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I recently got a Rode M3. Versatile mic that can be used on acoustic guitars as well..

• I hate to be the 'spend more than declared budget guy' but do you need it right now?  If you can wait til you've saved more money I honestly think the best option is to buy a real SM57 from a licensed dealer (be aware that there are several fakes on ebay).

Unless you're one of the rare people who don't like SM57s for electric guitars the chances are you're chasing a 57 mic'd tone anyway, especially if you like modern rock stuff.

You can usually get an SM57, cable, and mic stand for around £100-110 depending on what deals are around at the time from the big box stores online.  You'll probably keep the 57 for as long as you record guitars.  If you buy a cheaper mic and really get into mic'ing up cabs you're likely to buy a 57 later anyway out of curiosity. Just food for thought!  YMMV/IMO etc
  • guitarfishbay;81689" said:
    I hate to be the 'spend more than declared budget guy' but do you need it right now?  If you can wait til you've saved more money I honestly think the best option is to buy a real SM57 from a licensed dealer (be aware that there are several fakes on ebay).

Unless you're one of the rare people who don't like SM57s for electric guitars the chances are you're chasing a 57 mic'd tone anyway, especially if you like modern rock stuff.

You can usually get an SM57, cable, and mic stand for around £100-110 depending on what deals are around at the time from the big box stores online.  You'll probably keep the 57 for as long as you record guitars.  If you buy a cheaper mic and really get into mic'ing up cabs you're likely to buy a 57 later anyway out of curiosity. Just food for thought!  YMMV/IMO etc
    I was worries you'd say that ;)

How about a cheap one to see me through till then?
  • Branshen;81750" said:
    Hate to say it, but with all the fakes going around, I'd rather go new from a trusted dealer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any thoughts guys?  Maybe a cheap 'that'll do for now' mic, until I can afford an SM57.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I echo the SM57 comments, I stick it in front of my amp for recording and never have to worry and or fanny around too much.

You could go for something like a Behringer XM8500 to keep you going, more of an SM58 clone by the looks of it, but only £20 and seem to have a pretty good rep.
  • dindude said:
    I echo the SM57 comments, I stick it in front of my amp for recording and never have to worry and or fanny around too much.

You could go for something like a Behringer XM8500 to keep you going, more of an SM58 clone by the looks of it, but only £20 and seem to have a pretty good rep.
    Nice, looks alright.  

Also heard about the T Bone 75 which is another cheap one.  Any thoughts on these?

Just an FYI, it'll be used with mostly high gain metal and low gain, djent sparkle stuff (low gain on lead channel but high volume to compensate and make things mad heavy).  

Also found this which looks very similar to the t bone 75... 

Pyle-Pro PDMIC78

• If it's only ever going to be used in front of an amp, these things are bloody brilliant:

OK, so they're not as good as the Sennheiser E906 they're copying, but they are ace. I prefer the sound of mine to the SM57 and the condensers I've tried at home (Rode NT1A, SE2000). Also, it's got a super cardioid pattern, and the sound rejection outside the envelope is so good that I can stick it in front of my amp at home with a backing track coming through the monitors (same room) without any extraneous noise getting in.

On top of that, it comes with the clip and a gooseneck clamp. Bloody bargain.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just an FYI, it'll be used with mostly high gain metal and low gain, djent sparkle stuff (low gain on lead channel but high volume to compensate and make things mad heavy).  

Again the 57 is the standard mic for that.  

I have no experience with anything cheaper than £50.  I have two i5s - they're around £50-60 s/h and sound sort of 57 like, great build quality and also sound nice on drums.  I don't know of many people who pick them over a 57 for recording rock/metal guitars though.

All I'm saying is if you spend £50 on a cheap mic, then buy a stand, then buy a mic cable you've spent a lot of money on something that isn't an SM57.  If you're looking to go under £50 all in I could see a cheaper mic making sense, I'm just not sure what to suggest as I don't really have experience there.

If you want to search or ask at a recording specific forum you could try gearslutz.com 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If budget were an issue, I'd be grabbing one of those T-Bone SM75's - SM57 clone - and spending the rest on cable+stand.
  • digitalscream;82592" said:
    If it's only ever going to be used in front of an amp, these things are bloody brilliant:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_pra_628_mkii.htm

OK, so they're not as good as the Sennheiser E906 they're copying, but they are ace. I prefer the sound of mine to the SM57 and the condensers I've tried at home (Rode NT1A, SE2000). Also, it's got a super cardioid pattern, and the sound rejection outside the envelope is so good that I can stick it in front of my amp at home with a backing track coming through the monitors (same room) without any extraneous noise getting in.

On top of that, it comes with the clip and a gooseneck clamp. Bloody bargain.
    Neat, especially with gooseneck and clamp. Might be the winner.

Cheers all!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    +1 for the Superlux mic. I have one and they are superb for the cash. I'd recommend one to anyone.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• If you didn't get the superlux I've got a boxed Sennheiser e609 for £60.

Just not using it.