SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sheffield Musicians for Blues/Soul/Country/Americana

Any Sheffield Musicians interested in getting something together for some Blues/Soul/Country/Americana ??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Yes. But I'm crap and have little time at weekends. Nonetheless, if that doesn't discourage you ...

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited November 2015
    Shoukd have said enthusiasm over ability. Just looking for some people to have a regular bash with.

That sounds good. I have played in front of people many, many years ago (late 80s, early 90s), later stopped playing altogether for nearly a decade and have been doing stops and starts ever since. 

Blues / soul / country sounds all good to me. I started out as a teenage AC/DC and Deep Purple fan, then had long periods of looking into the blues and the Stones before becoming interested in Motown and soul. As to country, I'm more of a casual listener but like things like Johnny Cash and all his mates, or Patsy Cline, anything fairly old really. So I'm not an anti-country person but the real fans will probably say that my idea of country is closer to the Stones's Dead Flowers than to the real thing.

I don't have a performance-ready repertoire, just bits and pieces and fragments but in the past I was able to play through a full set without getting lost. I'm happy to play rhythm, I'll have fun as long as there's a groove going, I don't need to be in the limelight and expose my incompetence by attempting a 10-minute solo ... 

Enthusiasm aside, all this would make little sense without vocals, drums, bass and a place to play - although you could get a cool blues or country thing going in a living room with 2 guitars, a singer and percussion. Not sure whether this makes any sense to you - let me know if it does. 

edited November 2015
    Pretty much exactly on the same page including the timing and stopping playing for a decade! Lets see if theres any other interest. I dont mind the idea of playing bass or anything else non guitar if needs be. Just want to make some noise!

• Just saying, I hope you get something going and some enjoyment out of your venture and it's a style of Music Genre you don't see in demand in Sheffield much, well at least people touting on joinmyband and other sites.

I've spent 3 years solidly looking in Sheffield for a promising Funk/Soul/80's R&B set up after a Guitarist and only seen 3 ads worth responding to, all my responses to no avail, never even got to audition.

I ended up joining a Britpop/Indie-Rock Band, which I love as I like that stuff too.

Maybe I'm not networking in the right way and already being in a Band doesn't make it easier, but with no disrespect to the following categories, 99% of the ads for Sheffield are Punk/Post Punk, Heavy Rock/Metal or Thrash or Electronica, sometimes Jazz or Folk etc, but never Funk/Soul.

What the Funk?

:-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Just saying, I hope you get something going and some enjoyment out of your venture and it's a style of Music Genre you don't see in demand in Sheffield much, well at least people touting on joinmyband and other sites.

I've spent 3 years solidly looking in Sheffield for a promising Funk/Soul/80's R&B set up after a Guitarist and only seen 3 ads worth responding to, all my responses to no avail, never even got to audition.

I ended up joining a Britpop/Indie-Rock Band, which I love as I like that stuff too.

Maybe I'm not networking in the right way and already being in a Band doesn't make it easier, but with no disrespect to the following categories, 99% of the ads for Sheffield are Punk/Post Punk, Heavy Rock/Metal or Thrash or Electronica, sometimes Jazz or Folk etc, but never Funk/Soul.

What the Funk?

:-)

Your right. Sheffield has two Musical legacys Metal and Electronica and generally the former rules the roost. Ive been trying for years to get several different projects of the ground but as you say the uptake isnt great!. Even considered switiching instruments just to get some action. Most of my old bandmates have reformed their old Indie bands or have just stopped playing out. My last band Lioka which was an Indie/Dance crossover project split back in the early 00's right at the peak after some great local gigs and an appearance on ITV/Calenders battle of the bands.

I would love to get a large collective of different musicians together to play some varying styles with a common thread of having a good time. Something along the lines of the Tedeschi Trucks band. 

Seems like theres at least a few of us interested in other genres and maybe the start of a regional FB collective at the least!?

the question is how to get non-guitarists interested. I'm afraid I can't be much help because I am still fairly new to the city and have no social life to speak of

• You're right there @SimpleSimon about those legacies.

I do like both Rock/Metal and a certain amount of Electronic music, but am itching to get into something Funky. It is hard work accomplishing any sort of success in music I guess and shame that your old band didn't quite make it.

I remember another Sheffield Band called "The Harrisons", looked promising in the early to mid 2000's, probably lost out to Arctic Monkeys in the battle for success. Lot of hard work for little reward.

Apart from looking at joinmyband and the like, I really wouldn't know how to "network" properly, I suppose some people get involved with open mic nights and the like to try to get something going.

Good luck with your ventures anyway.
    edited November 2015
    I remember the Harrisons and yes they were part of the post Artic Monkeys crowd inc Milburn and little man tate. What kind of funky were you thinking? Chilis, funkadelic, Acid Jazz or James Brown?

• I remember the Harrisons and yes they were part of the post Artic Monkeys crowd inc Milburn and little man tate. What kind of funky were you thinking? Chilis, funkadelic, Acid Jazz or James Brown?

Bit of anything really @SimpleSimon although I do have a penchant for Chic, Sister Sledge (anything Nile Rodger's orientated), also stuff like Luther Vandross, Jamiroquai. The stuff you mentioned is cool too. I have made contact with a potential project, but, such is fate, I have gone and bloody injured my Elbow and need to go to Fracture Clinic tomorrow as today's Xrays at my nearest Hospital require more investigation.

I'm pretty gutted at the timing of all this :-(
  • Crikey - i hope its not too bad and your on the mend soon!

Always fancied playing in a Jamiroquai style/90's Acid Jazz style band. Again something very different but good time music!

Always fancied playing in a Jamiroquai style/90's Acid Jazz style band. Again something very different but good time music!

Cheers, mate, it's a lot better, no fracture thankfully and more movement coming back each day, I can almost pick my nose now :-)

Do you happen to play Keyboards @SimpleSimon

I'm meeting with this Funk/Soul project on Friday and one of the guys has put an ad out for a Keys Player. No rush just yet, but I thought I'd ask you anyway.

Cheers, mate, it's a lot better, no fracture thankfully and more movement coming back each day, I can almost pick my nose now :-)

Do you happen to play Keyboards @SimpleSimon

I'm meeting with this Funk/Soul project on Friday and one of the guys has put an ad out for a Keys Player. No rush just yet, but I thought I'd ask you anyway.
    Probably not to a good enough standard! LOL

• Any other interested parties?

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Hiya,

I'm in Sheffield and definitely keen to actually get out of the house and play. I've played a fair bit at a couple of jams but not developed anything further than that. Mostly blues or indie stuff but I'm happy to try most stuff really.
  • johnbiffajohnbiffa Frets: 29
    Hi

Ex pro bass player currently gigging in NE with a heritage rock band but have time to play americana and country or blues !!

I also dabble in mandolin and dobro...........
    I'm still here checking in occasionally. But work has been mental and I haven't picked up the guitar since about last November. It's shameful but just when I thought I was getting on top of some technique issues that had bugged me for over 2 decades I ran out of time. 

If you guys ever get together for an exploratory jam or so I'd be interested in coming along but I'd expect that you will tell me I'm not good enough ...

Enthusiasm over expertise wins the day in my book!

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I haven't played for 4 years, and I wasn't much cop, then. I am in Rotherham, though..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited December 2016