Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Great songs with terrible solos

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I always thought that Whitesnake's 'Here I go again' was a cracking song. It builds up beautifully to that great high note from Coverdale and then ......... what a lame solo! It needed to rip yer face off but we get two guitars doing this twee melody that sounds like the theme for a programme called Pensioners in the park or something.

Agree? Disagree? got your own nominations?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm assuming you mean the original '82 version? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So Lonely by The Police.. such a shame and waste of talent....  or maybe I just don't get it?!?!
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm assuming you mean the original '82 version? 
    Yup, it's Moody and Marsden I'm thinking of. I forgot that there was a later one, I'd better go and check the solo on that. 
  • axisus said:
    I'm assuming you mean the original '82 version? 
    Yup, it's Moody and Marsden I'm thinking of. I forgot that there was a later one, I'd better go and check the solo on that. 
    I just did, it's a bit more widdley ;-)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always laugh at the solo in "Heat of the moment".  The last few notes especially wtf
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited November 2015

My Perfect Cousin by the Undertones.

Although actually the solo is so ludicrous it's brilliant.

• The obvious answer here is the solo on "Sympathy for the Devil". I don't know if there's a story behind it (can't be arsed searching for it) but the nasty tone used for the solo must have been deliberate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Just Dropped In by First Edition is a truly great song with a solo that would embarrass a twelve year old on their second lesson.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    There are two different versions of the solo on the second Whitsnake (i.e. 1987) version of 'Here...'.

I think the radio edit has a solo done by Dan Huff.

The one on the album is different but I'm not sure if it's the John Sykes original or someone else.

Basically Dave sacked the band after recording the album.

Good songs with shit solos? I'd venture anything by Peter Buck but I've gone right off REM these days.

Guns in the Sky the lead off track on INXS's otherwise five star Kick album is a shit song with a shitter solo.

Any attempt at a solo by Noel Gallagher. Decent songs at times but no soloist IMO.

A) You Can't Do That and b) Run for Your Life are both Beatles songs with puerile, misogynistic words which are otherwise middling filler, but marred by a typical early Lennon crap effort at a solo in a) and an 'I'm learning how to use a slide, folks' solo by George in b).

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited November 2015
    Addicted to love has possibly the worst solo recorded to tape on an otherwise corking tune ( for the 80's ) though nowhere near as bad as the solo from Fame ! ( not the Bowie song I hasten to add )
    Skarloey said:
    There are two different versions of the solo on the second Whitsnake (i.e. 1987) version of 'Here...'.

I think the radio edit has a solo done by Dan Huff.

The one on the album is different but I'm not sure if it's the John Sykes original or someone else.

Basically Dave sacked the band after recording the album.

I think Sykes played on the album track but didn't do the solo, that was added later by Adrian Vandenberg.

Unless my memory is failing me again, I didn't think the song was on the initial UK release of the album at all, but maybe I've got that wrong - I must look at my vinyl copy later.

• vasselmeyer;860812" said:
    The obvious answer here is the solo on "Sympathy for the Devil". I don't know if there's a story behind it (can't be arsed searching for it) but the nasty tone used for the solo must have been deliberate.
    About 50% of Lixarto 's input on this forum was defending that solo. I'm not that sure if he meant it or was just being bloody minded. In his absence (he is banned, for anyone playing catch up) all I can say is I've never seen the problem with it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Paolo Nutini - Jenny Don't Be Hasty.

Great song, great guitar tone, crap solo - I might be wrong, but to me it sounds like someone who can play trying to be "cool" by trying to give the impression they can't. The same line - which in itself might have been OK once, or even twice - repeated four times without going anywhere… no structure.

I love the solo on Sympathy For The Devil - it's perfect for the song, and so is the tone. So Lonely isn't bad either…

Not sure about Here I Go Again (can't quite remember what the solo is like), but Is This Love has definitively the worst clean and worst distorted tones ever recorded, in the same song.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @Philly_Q I think you're right mate. That rings a bell now.

I just checked - the original 1987 album only has nine tracks and doesn't include Here I Go Again.

I must admit, I never particularly liked the album and I don't really understand why it was so successful.  I much prefer the earlier stuff.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Purple Haze
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Sympathy for the Devil. Maybe my favourite song, terrible, terrible solo. Bad timing, awful tone, wrong in every way.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited November 2015

Great Lennon/McCartney-style Slade balled. JIm Lea played guitar. Dave Hill looks embarrassed to even mime it  :(

• Californication - RHCP.   Fruciante is another one of the long list of players I really like, except when they try to play a solo.  Most of the ones already mentioned fit here with the exception of Jimi Hendrix and Keef.  Some of their solos aren't spectacular but even the weakest ones have more soul than most of the victims of this thread.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay