What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited July 2016
    ;) Nice one, I do like a happy ending. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited July 2016
    Shock twist- because the model number is 'R1200RT Iconic' and not a regular 'R1200RT LE' on which it is based I cannot find anyone to insure it.
    The only people who will are BMW and they want 3 x what I would insure the regular bike with.

So talking to the dealer tomorrow and working out what I can do.
    Most likely getting a Carbon Black one in September.
    I know this is a first world problem but insurance companies make things irritatingly difficult sometimes.

Edit: I've managed to sort it.
    Never using Bennetts again, Carol Nash are much more sorted.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Jumping on the resurrected thread. Here's my new steed, after shedding the Tracer and test riding about ten different bikes. Handles far better than anything this size has any right to and also has great big fat gobs of torque :D
    to the point I rode round in 'Rain' (low power) mode for the first week. Awesome being back on two wheels.

The beast
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very nice, jaytmon.
    Is that a wethead?
    edited July 2016
    It is indeed one of the LC models - 2014. I nearly bought one of the 1190 Adv but was scared off by reports of dubious parts quality and customer services. The GS comes with a new 2 year warranty, even though she's two years old already. 
    It's also, on a less positive note as I just found out, an absolute twat to clean. If you can see it, there's dirt on it. 

Octatonic - love the colour of the RT, pain about the insurance though. Is it not possible to insure as a modified (paint job, Akra exhaust etc) LE? 
    EDIT: Just seen your edit! Good news.
  • Just bought a R nineT. What a larrfff..! :-)
    jaytmon said:
    It is indeed one of the LC models - 2014. I nearly bought one of the 1190 Adv but was scared off by reports of dubious parts quality and customer services. The GS comes with a new 2 year warranty, even though she's two years old already. 
    It's also, on a less positive note as I just found out, an absolute twat to clean. If you can see it, there's dirt on it. 

Octatonic - love the colour of the RT, pain about the insurance though. Is it not possible to insure as a modified (paint job, Akra exhaust etc) LE? 
    EDIT: Just seen your edit! Good news.
    You did well to avoid the 1190 Adv.

KTM have been ok and the bike is a total hooligan but it as been unfun to spend more than a few hours on it at a time.
    I'm off adventure bikes now but if I was going to buy one it would be the GS.
    It is a brilliant bike.
    I had a Super Duke 990 for a while which was also a hooligan bike. Very entertaining but I got to the point where I felt something bad was likely to happen, or the bike was going to start falling apart! 

Tried a few other adventure type bikes but I came to the conclusion the GS was best for me at least. Also tried the R1200RS which oddly I immediately disliked but after about ten minutes I completely changed my mind and really liked it. Suspected it would be less comfy over longer distances compared to the GS. Pricier too! 
    jaytmon said:
    I had a Super Duke 990 for a while which was also a hooligan bike. Very entertaining but I got to the point where I felt something bad was likely to happen, or the bike was going to start falling apart! 

Tried a few other adventure type bikes but I came to the conclusion the GS was best for me at least. Also tried the R1200RS which oddly I immediately disliked but after about ten minutes I completely changed my mind and really liked it. Suspected it would be less comfy over longer distances compared to the GS. Pricier too! 
    That is funny.
    My short list came down to the RT, the RS and the Triumph Trophy.

The RS would be a great compromise bike that did everything pretty well.
    The Iconic RS is particularly tasty:

The problem was the wind protection wasn't quite good enough.
    If I didn't have the S1000R and was looking for one bike to do it all then the RS would be a good option.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The RS would be a great compromise bike that did everything pretty well.
    The Iconic RS is particularly tasty:
    Good lord that is gorgeous! Glad it wasn't out when I bought the GS...

I had a VFR800 FiX a while ago, the supposed ultimate do-it-all. I found mostly that it did do everything, it just didn't do any of it particularly well. Too much of a compromise. The RS is much more of an effortless cruiser though thanks to the bigger engine. Much nicer than the VFR1200 I tried too, but I think you're right about protection. 

I think I'd be more tempted with the S1000R than the RS as a second bike, but if I was going down that road I'd have an RT and an Africa Twin too! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It looks just as good in the flesh.

I road the Africa Twin.
    Good bike but not better than the GS imho.

Yes, I'm expecting the RT and the S1000R to cover a lot of bases for me.
    Of course I have nothing to go off-road but these big adventure bikes are too much for green laning unless you're an expert at it already, which I am not.
    I road the Africa Twin too as it happens, came to a similar conclusion though what Honda appear to have done is carve their own little niche and not tried to directly compete with the GS - bigger, tubed tyres etc. I did find it, in that classic Honda way, immediately familiar and very easy to filter through traffic, whereas I'm more circumspect on the GS. My offroad ability is approximately zilche too, so something more road biased makes more sense for me. Looking at BMW offroad days now though!

Out of curiosity what made you go for the RT over the K1300GT?
    edited July 2016
    jaytmon said:
    I road the Africa Twin too as it happens, came to a similar conclusion though what Honda appear to have done is carve their own little niche and not tried to directly compete with the GS - bigger, tubed tyres etc. I did find it, in that classic Honda way, immediately familiar and very easy to filter through traffic, whereas I'm more circumspect on the GS. My offroad ability is approximately zilche too, so something more road biased makes more sense for me. Looking at BMW offroad days now though!

Out of curiosity what made you go for the RT over the K1300GT?
    Yeah, the AT is more a competitor for the Tiger 800 I think (which it absolutely kills).

The K1300GT isn't a current bike, I wanted a new bike.
    Partly because of the warranty, partly because of the risk of buying something that has been crashed and repaired and I know the K1300 has a few issues with corrosion.

The K1300S is basically end of life, has no cruise control, worse luggage and a ride position that isn't as comfy.
    If they did a new version of the K1300 that had all the electronics of the RT on it, especially cruise then I'd consider it.

I looked at the K1600GT which is an immense bike in every sense but too heavy for hustling into London and they depreciate like crazy.

I wish BMW did a proper sports tourer version of the S1000 engine.
    Not the XR but basically the ergonomics of the RS or K1300 but with everything you get on the S1000R or RR, with luggage.
    It would be immense.
    But the whole world is adventure mad so I doubt it will happen.
    Ah I didn't realise the K1300GT wasn't made any more. I guess they don't need two similarly sized tourers, and the 1600 is verging on Goldwing territory.

octatonic said:

I wish BMW did a proper sports tourer version of the S1000 engine.
    Not the XR but basically the ergonomics of the RS or K1300 but with everything you get on the S1000R or RR, with luggage.
    It would be immense.
    But the whole world is adventure mad so I doubt it will happen.

The sooner they hurry up and allow design of a completely customisable motorcycle, built to our exact specs.... best bits of each one....! Maybe there will be an inline four replacement for the K1300S in the future but then maybe that's what the RS is for.

Went for a back lane / B road blast this afternoon, of which there are plenty here. Makes me glad I chose the GS - it could just be the ultimate all rounder! (After one or two minor tweaks). Got to test the ABS too, meeting a milk tanker on a rather narrow road, which is thankfully very confidence inspiring. Still too scared to take it off road though! Cross country trip to Bristol this weekend for a course, if the weather holds out. Fingers crossed!
    edited July 2016
    Yes these big adventure bikes are too scary offroad.
    Learn offroad riding on a little 250cc, 100kg dirt bike and then see if you think you can handle a 250kg behemoth.

You'll have a lot more fun on a smaller bike and have a much smaller repair bill.
    You can pick up a 250cc Honda CRF for a couple of grand.
    Same price as pretty much any repair you will need on your GS.
    For instance, if you fuck up the headers on your GS from it bottoming out (easily done) then you are looking at about the same price.

Heading up to collect the RT now.
    WHOOHOO!
    edited July 2016
    May I present the Scarlet Monster.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    May I present the Scarlet Monster.

So...very...shiny..!
    She's a beaut mate, enjoy. 
    In better light:

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Very saucy. Definitely the right decision to shell out the extra for the red paint too. Enjoy! 
    edited July 2016
    Well today was interesting.
    Was out with some sports bike riding mate- I was leading with the Navigator V.
    Nav V lead me up a single track road which turned into a muddy quagmire for about a mile or so.
    Riding a 280kg tourer on mud is decidedly unfun but I didn't bin it so happy.

Oh and Mrs Oct took my 'I might ride to Tuscany' musing from the other day seriously (we had flights booked for a wedding in August) and promptly cancelled my flight so I now have to ride there.

I'm really loving the new steed.