Food made by children

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10644
11 year old child has insisted on making supper. Leek and potato soup, home made bread, home-made pizze including home-made base, home made tomato sauce, choice of 3 varieties, baked alaska with home made meringues and home made american pancakes, with home made lemonade. What if it's horrible??? I'm not even hungry because I've consumed a pack of digestives during the course of the afternoon.
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• has your 11 yr old got a cold or the sniffles? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    You simply go with the flow chap. I have had several years of this, and have several more to go. You'll be fine as long as you i) check any chicken they're cooking ii) don't let them cook sea food.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    sounds better than the sausages and hashbrowns I had

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Wooaghfff. We've just eaten 2 kg of flour-based produce.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • You eat it all with a smile on your face and afterwards, congratulate them on a job well done.  They grow out of it very quickly.

Anyway,  how was it really.

It was great, thought there was a f*ck of a lot of it.
  • I think they should be encouraged. I had to learn to cook for myself after I left home. I don't blame my mum. Her attitude was that I had A levels to get and if I didn't get them I wouldn't have much future. So she didn't bother me with cooking. Looking back, she had a point, and I showed no interest in it anyway, so to press it might not have been so productive. She likes my cooking now though :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited November 2013
    I can't cook very much and sort of regret it. I know my mum would show me if I asked.

I do have a passing interest in it, but that rarely translates to doing anything about it :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    viz said:
    11 year old child has insisted on making supper. Leek and potato soup, home made bread, home-made pizze including home-made base, home made tomato sauce, choice of 3 varieties, baked alaska with home made meringues and home made american pancakes, with home made lemonade. What if it's horrible??? I'm not even hungry because I've consumed a pack of digestives during the course of the afternoon.
    11! They're doing better than many adults, I certainly couldn't bake bread at that age. To be encouraged. Also, sounds like you're sorted for carbs for the rest of the month.
  • Well done viz.

I taught my daughter to cook as as soon as she was able to stand in the kitchen.  Simple stuff at first that she enjoyed eating, and building to more complex and technical things.  

She's now at Uni and manages to eat quite well on a limited budget and a cupboard stocked with some basic staples.    

edited November 2013
    Aren't those bad for the stomach?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    imalone said:
    viz said:
    11! They're doing better than many adults, I certainly couldn't bake bread at that age. To be encouraged. Also, sounds like you're sorted for carbs for the rest of the month.

I read that as crabs initially.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    I thought Primark or Nike had brought out a new food range
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    bertie said:
    I thought Primark or Nike had brought out a new food range
    That was my first thought too when I saw the thread title :).

As long as it's not actually poisonous or likely to make you choke or vomit, you eat it with a smile and given them constructive feedback if any is required. At 11 they're old enough to accept criticism. My three (12, 9 and 7) all cook occasionally and there have only been a couple of less-good results, even from the 7-year-old when she was younger. Some of them have been genuinely enjoyable.

So how was it? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited November 2013
    It was a relief this morning to get the majority of it out. I think I'm going to win the lottery this week.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013
    I say that if your eleven year old lovingly made you food then lap up the good times....you are about three years off them thinking everything you suggest or do is "utter crap" and that those little in jokes they used to find funny are "so tragic".
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    viz said:
    It was a relief this morning to get the majority of it out. I think I'm going to win the lottery this week.
    :D very good

I think it's highly commendable that they cook, and a credit to you. I always have, as far back as I can remember. Even before I was old enough to 'cook' properly my nan had me and my brother peeling spuds for Sunday dinner or adding ingredients to the cake mix. Gradually we were doing more and more until we could pretty much cook anything.

I've never dated a woman who can cook better than me. What started off as a passing observation has now become a kind of quest. I think it would be bloody awesome to have a woman cook a proper meal for me, though I've yet to find out for sure. I've always gotten my daughter involved in the cooking of meals for that reason - lord knows her mother couldn't boil an egg - I'm convinced she'll stand a much better chance of marrying a good bloke if she can cook up a storm. At the very least she can make me real food when I'm old and doddery. Holy shit what am I talking about I've had far too much coffee
    All practice and no theory
    Lol
    I say that if your eleven year old lovingly made you food then lap up the good times....you are about three years off them thinking everything you suggest or do is "utter crap" and that those little in jokes they used to find funny are "so tragic".

already started mate!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited November 2013
    My mother was an appalling cook, everything was either raw, burnt or out of a tin. When she discovered Vesta packet meals in the 1960s I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, here was food I could actually eat. I couldn't cook at all when I left home; my first college girlfriend thought I was taking the piss when I asked her how to boil eggs. My first wife was a very good cook and taught me the basics and I'm reasonably competent now.

I decided my kids should know how to make at least basic meals and we started them off from an early age; they've both since grown up loving to cook. My son makes the best roast dinner ever. Nom nom.