Advice on good , cheap( ish) coustic bass

What's Hot
jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 115
Any experience out there, good , bad, indifferent? preferably with a pickup but not essential max £400 but prefer closer to £200!!! Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I think concensus suggests that acoustic basses temd to be a bit quiet accoustically, so good for practice at home, but get lost in the mix in an acoustic setting, will it feedback with a pickup at volume?
    You could get quite a nice elctric for those quids...JMHO!......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Unless it is for aesthetics I'd go for an electric bass.  As noted you're going to need to amplify it anyway, so you might as well get something you can use in both acoustic and electric scenarios
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    These are well respected as a cheap acoustic

• jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 115
    Thanks chaps. This post truly was for an NonIT mate who plays bass ( Shuker basses--- always) and sings in a band but is taken with the idea of amplified acoustic bass busking across Europe . So I said I would ask. Your points are well made. I will convey Thanks Chris
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    He plays a Shuker and he wants cheap?

That's like being married to a Playboy Bunny but wanting a weekend with a 70 year old pro from Swansea docks!

It will still be a bass... but you know!
  • jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 115
    Ha John Shukes' will be delighted with that analogy!. Mate just wants a ' don't worry about it' guitar to put down on the street . He probably hasn't thought about how different it might feel Hence low purchase price!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited December 2015
    Hi @jakeolly ;

I got one of the Thomann deko 4 string acoustic basses last year and, once I'd put some decent strings on (D'Addario Black Nylons) which cost nearly as much as the bass, it sounds VERY nice indeed, un-amplified or through its built in piezo pickup.

If I get a moment tomorrow, I'll see if I can record or video a clip.

I actually never use it because I've always got an amp and electric bass where I play so it could be for sale for not very much at all.

They are BLOODY big, though, if he's carting it across Europe... 

pm me if you want more details...
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I had an ibanez ewb for ages it was brilliant and loud for an acoustic bass.