Non-Guitar Centric Music

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Snap said:
    @Clarky ;; here's a quick demo I did last night, faffing with presets on the Polycom, only 4 tracks, bit of light compression,limiting and EQ to tame the bass end a bit. The bass patches on this thing are huge.

ooooooo I reckon I need one of those...
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Snap said:
    and this is a quick demo of one of the Vox Humana patches, awesomeness in spades

awesome… really has that early Jean Michel Jarre vibe….
    this is on the GAS list
    great find
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    You need to listen to 2 classic albums by Numan that are lathered in polymorphism: The Pleasure Principle, 1979, and Telekon, 1980, and my favourite. Synthtopia!
    Polymorphism???? Polymoog!!! Pmsl
    Just finished this track, thanks all for listening. Its actually got a fair bit of guitar in it, ebow and stuff, but loads of synths, All feedback appreciated, as is your time to listen

cheers, J

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    and another one off here, continuing the soundtrack vibe. Done with Battery, Omnisphere 2 and Natural Forces (Kontakt)

Snap said:
    Just finished this track, thanks all for listening. Its actually got a fair bit of guitar in it, ebow and stuff, but loads of synths, All feedback appreciated, as is your time to listen

cheers, J

oh yeah ! !
    I love how this starts and builds...

Snap said:
    and another one off here, continuing the soundtrack vibe. Done with Battery, Omnisphere 2 and Natural Forces (Kontakt)

you really are getting better at production ain't ya…
    it really shows…
    fun ain't it
    ok… time for some Clarky vibes…
    I have a few pieces here
    http://evolution.sgl.harvestmedia.net/album/EMM109/EMM109-Monolithic
    Fall of Deimos
    Hyperion Rising
    Lazarus

and another here
    http://evolution.sgl.harvestmedia.net/album/EMM117/EMM117-Pursuit
    Storm Chaser

@Clarky thanks for the comments, I've been working on the production side a lot - less is deffo more, and have been doing a lot of stuff at low levels in the DAW, to give me as much headroom as possible.

Your tracks are awesome mate. Check out Clarky vs Noisia!! Like the dubstep in Deimos in particular, and Storm Chaser's riffing. All good though, seriously good.

Have you listend to Korn's The Path To Totality? The album that has loads of dubstep co-producers guesting on it? Very good. HEavy as a heavy thing with lead in its boots.
    @snap thanks matey.. I'm glad you like the pieces..
    they really are so difficult to create..

I have that Korn album.. some parts of it are seriously cool.. but I think they overdid it a bit..
    after a while it becomes too much 'more of the same'.. so the impact starts wearing off..
    you can have too much of a good thing...
    I can believe the tracks are difficult to create Clarky. There is a lot of composition and production in it. SO much impact and dynamics to squeeze into a relatively short time. I bet its a real challenge getting all the intensity in there
    Snap said:
    I can believe the tracks are difficult to create Clarky. There is a lot of composition and production in it. SO much impact and dynamics to squeeze into a relatively short time. I bet its a real challenge getting all the intensity in there
    the latest trailer I'm working on is I reckon the best yet…
    it's much more orchestral by nature…
    the killer thing is that I made a couple of orchestration discoveries that's pushed everything to a much better level
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28047
    I did this some years ago with the Kontakt harp samples and NSKit7.

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/music/mabsac.mp3

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I did this some years ago with the Kontakt harp samples and NSKit7.

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/music/mabsac.mp3

that's really cool… it's so you.. quirky and fun but smart at the same time..
    ok… so this one does have guitars in it…
    but there's a great deal of non-guitar bits in it too.. like an orchestra...
    https://soundcloud.com/clarkymusic/nimrodaloneinthenight06e
    @Sporky

I really like that track, v cool, just the sort of minimalist electronica I really like.

@clarky

I love Nimrod, never fails to stir me, almost to tears most times. Mate, that is a clever track. Great vocal too. Very anthemic.

Ah, now you've thrown a gauntlet down by putting vocals on the table here......lol. MIght have to consider dusting off me pipes now!

As for the guitar work, well I think you need to get a bit more practice in ;) lmao.

You swot.

Snap said:
    @Sporky

I really like that track, v cool, just the sort of minimalist electronica I really like.

@clarky

I love Nimrod, never fails to stir me, almost to tears most times. Mate, that is a clever track. Great vocal too. Very anthemic.

Ah, now you've thrown a gauntlet down by putting vocals on the table here......lol. MIght have to consider dusting off me pipes now!

As for the guitar work, well I think you need to get a bit more practice in ;) lmao.

You swot.

thanks matey.. I'm glad you like it…
    compositionally, this one was tricky..
    Nimrod is in a different key and time signature so I had to re-write it whilst trying to maintain the integrity of the original..
    but I didn't just want to bolt it onto the front and back..
    so I threaded various lines and parts of the chord progression throughout the piece so that everything sounds like it's meant to be together..
    also, I wanted to solo in a minor key, so I re-wrote the main theme in a minor key to get into the solo…
    this piece was 50% song writing, 50% puzzle solving..
    a lot of fun.. I really enjoyed creating this one..
    and it's not often I get out the 6 and 12 string acoustics.. so that made for a nice change too..
    its very good, clever stuff. I wasn't expecting the core of your song to follow the underlying progressions of Nimrod, or to do it so inventively. top drawer.
    Snap said:
    its very good, clever stuff. I wasn't expecting the core of your song to follow the underlying progressions of Nimrod, or to do it so inventively. top drawer.
    just been thinking… this sort of thing is actually a quite a good exercise in composition..
    there are lots of little compositional tricks in there that I learned from the big guns when studying music at Uni..
    I use these tricks extensively in my trailer writing too..
    thinking on it a little more, my solo album [Shredz] is full of this sort of thing