Vintage V1300N

Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
edited November 2013 in Acoustics
EDIT: So you don't waste time replying to this, I think I'm going to chicken out, as I'm not sure the guitar is in that great condition. :)

Hi everyone,

I'm an electric guitar player who's been thinking of getting an acoustic for a while, but I've never got round to it. I've found what I think is a pretty good deal (~£150) on a new ex-display Vintage V1300N acoustic guitar (solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, it's described as a "folk" guitar, though confusingly it also seems to be in Vintage's dreadnought series :-? ).

Is anyone familiar with this specific model? Or even Vintage's solid wood acoustics in general? Are they decent guitars? Good? Firewood? Would this model be reasonably versatile? As I said, I'm an electric player so I have no clue about acoustics :))

It seems to have some cosmetic marks where the picking arm would rest on the top- are they likely to be just cosmetic or could there be bigger problems?

It seems like it might be an older version of this model- would that affect anything?

I could spend more than this on an acoustic, but if it's a decent guitar at all it's cheap enough that I might actually take the plunge, instead of hmm-ing and hah-ing for another 5 years and doing nothing. :))

Thanks very much in advance for any help or advice you can give me...  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I'm biased (see signature ;)), but I have one of their solid-top parlour electros (the V880) and I'm absolutely in love with it. Frankly, if you decide against going for the V1300, let me know where it is because that's cheaper than I'd get it as an endorsee and I'd love one. The V300s are deservedly some of the most highly-regarded low-to-mid-range acoustics made, and they're mahogany ply back and sides - I haven't played a 1300 but if the 300's anything to go by £150 is an absolute steal. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324

And I'll let you know if I decide against it. Though as you implied, at that price it could well be gone before I make my mind up :))
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    The ones I've played (unsure of the exact models I'm afraid) have been nice, and worth every penny.

Old fart alert: a lot better than the beginner stuff around when I was, well, beginning.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Thanks Lixarto :)

I think I'm going to chicken out, the photos of it aren't too great and I'm not sure how great condition it's in. I'll message IanSavage a link in case he wants to go for it. :)
  • Take a look at Jon Gomm's guitar, loved & played (and how it's played, wow) but got a mark or two and sounds great >link<.
    The Vintage sounds like a good deal, I am thinking of getting an acoustic soon too, go see it if you can, gotta be worth it.

No way I can see it, it's in England and I'm in Northern Ireland. :))

Yeah it's a good deal for sure if it's in good nick... just based on the pics I'm not sure how good nick it is, and I'd rather have something in good condition. :)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    Take a look at Jon Gomm's guitar, loved & played (and how it's played, wow) but got a mark or two and sounds great >link<.
    The Vintage sounds like a good deal, I am thinking of getting an acoustic soon too, go see it if you can, gotta be worth it.
    Chris,  where is it you live ?  I though I saw you mention 'cotswalds' once before........
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Hey Bertie, Sunny Cirencester,
    and I have the photo from today to prove it's sunny too   ;)

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited November 2013
    then get thee to Intersound at Dursley.    Great range of acoustics for a small place, .  from < £100 to £5000   -and really good guys 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Thanks for the heads-up bertie, I'll check them out.