Constructive photographic criticism required.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013

Hertz32 said:
    I loathe sharpening images... It lowers the quality if they are blown up, and gives it an almost oil painting like look it also brings the yellow in the grass out and makes it a bit more jarring to the eye...

Then you are doing it wrong or are sharpening an already in camera sharpened JPEG.  Sharpening isn't a bonus of digital photography, it's a necessity if you shoot in RAW.  If you shoot in JPEG your images are still being sharpened, just in camera and out of your control.  

It's a skill in itself but one worth persevering with.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  

Hertz32 said:
    I loathe sharpening images... It lowers the quality if they are blown up, and gives it an almost oil painting like look it also brings the yellow in the grass out and makes it a bit more jarring to the eye...

Then you are doing it wrong or are sharpening an already in camera sharpened JPEG.  Sharpening isn't a bonus of digital photography, it's a necessity if you shoot in RAW.  If you shoot in JPEG your images are still being sharpened, just in camera and out of your control.  

It's a skill in itself but one worth persevering with.

True dat, but you need a decent program to do it. Sharpening iPhone pics with apps generally doesn't help- I certainly haven't found one that improves things!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Yeah, sharpening is essential. To my eyes it makes this a better image, but would admittedly have been done with a bit more finesse had I spent more time on it. 12MP is plenty resolution to blow up to A4 size or slightly bigger. If you're printing an image for display you should sharpen them more than you think looks reasonable on the screen anyway, as the printing process fuzzes things up.
    Use Your Brian
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, it was in camera sharpened JPEG. I took it using the HDR setting of the camera, sadly no RAW option so I had to stick to JPEG.
    I use Pixlr Editor on my chromebook, free and it's basically an in browser Pshop. brilliant little app, run by Autodesk I believe. 
    I have a desktop PC that I use occasionally, I'll probably just keep using Pixlr on that though.
    This is the original image: 
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/loli832/11193091323/

I also cropped a bit of hedge out and removed the extra stuff at the 3rd fence post:
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    viz said:
    chillidoggy;96664" said:
    Is that the gate to Viz's country estate?
    Could be one of them, I'm not sure. Don't get around to all of them as often as I should any more. Looks like it could be a path to one of the groundsmens' cottages in one of the northern estates.

I can understand why you don't get around to them if they're in the north.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looking back on this with a fresh eye it actually looks pretty bloody good. I shall get into the habit of sharpening more often!
    'Awibble'
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Hertz32 said:
    Looking back on this with a fresh eye it actually looks pretty bloody good. I shall get into the habit of sharpening more often!
    No, that looks way oversharpened for screen display. You need to be very careful with sharpening when you are working with limited pixels and chroma noise in the shadows. Would you care to share the original image rather than a downsampled one?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    viz said:
    chillidoggy;96664" said:
    Is that the gate to Viz's country estate?
    Could be one of them, I'm not sure. Don't get around to all of them as often as I should any more. Looks like it could be a path to one of the groundsmens' cottages in one of the northern estates.

watch out for the gamekeeper if you stay at one with your wife and servants 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2013
    hywelg said:
    Hertz32 said:
    No, that looks way oversharpened for screen display. You need to be very careful with sharpening when you are working with limited pixels and chroma noise in the shadows. Would you care to share the original image rather than a downsampled one?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2lcO4Ee4IByMFk2VkhNWkVqUkE/edit?usp=sharing
    'Awibble'
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    edited December 2013
    Sharpening controversy! This is like a photographer's forum. I'm guessing it depends on the screen that you're viewing it on, but that might be bollards. It's a personal taste thing - to me it looks alright. Maybe I need glasses though ;-)

Looking at my edit of the picture again, could do with some noise reduction in the sky, which would soften the image a little bit and hopefully make everybody happy.
    Use Your Brian
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10323
    tFB Trader
    From an aesthetic perspective it lacks any point of interest. It's pleasant in composition with lead lines etc etc .. but there's is no real central point so ones eyes flicker around the frame and don't rest on anything for long.
    It needs to tell a story ... a figure wandering off into the sunset ... anything to give the eye something to fix on.
    Landscapes have to be REALLY dramatic to stand up on their own without human or animal interest ... ask Ansel Adams  ... or don't ... cos e's dead :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    A peasant being flogged in the field would be a point of interest.

• vizviz Frets: 10689
    A pheasant being flogged in the field would be a point of interest.

Nice alliteration.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  •  

viz said:
    A pheasant being flogged in the field would be a point of interest.

Nice alliteration.
    :D  It was very much like a line from my sons speech therapist.
  • Please tell me the therapist doesn't flog your son in a field to make him speak properly
    Use Your Brian
  • I'm not sure what she's got planned for next term to be honest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom