Drums can be bloody irritating

What's Hot
Hit them quieter!
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    And learn to balance the volume of the kit. If the Kick drum is lost play the snare and cymbals at the appropriate level so the rest of us don't get our hearing fucked.

• so can drummers
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    ESBlonde said:
    And learn to balance the volume of the kit. If the Kick drum is lost play the snare and cymbals at the appropriate level so the rest of us don't get our hearing fucked.

Why aren't you wearing earplugs?

Kick is always going to get lost, that's why it needs a mic. 

ESBlonde said:

And no, I don't know why I quoted you twice :)
  • Bezzer said:
    ESBlonde said:

Why aren't you wearing earplugs?

Kick is always going to get lost, that's why it needs a mic. 

ESBlonde said:

Yeah but if you;re a real drummer it goes like this:

Kick is getting lost needs a mic
    Now snare isn't loud enough, needs a mic
    I can hear the cymbals, can we get them through the PA
    Your 100 watt valve amps are too quiet can we get some more guitars in the monitors
    The kick is getting lost can you turn it up
    the snare is too quiet
    I guess we need subs on the PA
    btw guys Im actually clinically deaf 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

That's not a REAL drummer ... that's a dick.

Luckily I would appear to have worked with the better end of the drummer spectrum then ...

• Earplugs are 100 % necessary if you stand near a loud rock drummer, doubly so in the average small rehearsal room or on a tiny pub stage where you can't use distance as a means of hearing less kit.  A loud rock kit in a small space is definitely loud enough to damage your hearing.

It isn't the same as an amp, which you can turn down and still get a good sound from.  Drums are an acoustic instrument, the tonality comes from how you hit them.  If you want the standard rock/metal punchy and upfront sound you need to smack the kit pretty firmly.

I think it is unfair to always make a drummer practice quietly if they intend to gig playing loud.  It would be like asking the guitarist to always practice playing everything much softer than they intend to play it live.  You need to practice playing dynamically at the effort level you're going to perform live to get the most from practice.  Otherwise you're practicing a completely different arrangement to what you'll perform.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • btw guys Im actually clinically deaf 

Lol.  I think that is your answer! 

:))
  • Why are people complaining about drummers again?  It seems to be the last bastion of discrimination that is tolerated.  Drummers need help not condemnation.  If we persistently outcast them how the hell do you ever expect them to evolve into actual musicians?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited December 2013
    think of playing drums, as being a percussive/emotional  acoustic player............. sometimes you need the physical dynamic of  being a tad aggressive to get the feel/noise  you want - its possible that its not easy, to play a particular style,  quieter.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I comfortably feel I can speak for all drummers when I say 'stop being a bunch of pussies, or wear ear plugs'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I comfortably feel I can speak for all drummers when I say 'stop being a bunch of pussies, or wear ear plugs'.

http://www.speakeasydc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/muppet-animal.jpg
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I did think about posting that.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    As technology has evolved and the practicality of micing the kick drum for a sunday night in the Dog and Duck been financially viable it seems to have become a prerequisite for bands these days (even if they don't know where to place the mic for best sound). All that means is everything else goes to 11. 
    Some of us are lucky enough to play with talented drummers that sound like thunder but at a practical volume. Strangely when those same balanced talented drummers are miced up they still sound amazing.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I made the mistake of taking a sub woofer along to mic up the kick drum for our drummer. After having a trouser involuntary when he heard the effect, it seems he can't live without it. Which is a pain, because I'm the one who has to lug the bloody thing around. Apart from that, he's a brilliant laugh and he keeps better time than any other drummer we've had, and his drums aren't really that irritating.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Our drummer is amazing. I don't care how loud he is, he can fuckin' play his shit.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    edited December 2013
    Our drummer is the best musician in our band, by far. He does get irritated when we don't get what he's talking about in terms of timing, right away. We just get our own back by saying "you need to come in the on Em9".

We also mic the kick and as he's getting RSI on his snare hand, we mic that too so he can hit it less hard. It does make you jump when he forgets himself sometimes and wellys it.
  • Bezzer said:

That's not a REAL drummer ... that's a dick.

What's the difference? :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Had a chat with our hammer man last night at praccy about drums, construction, levels of build etc. Quite interesting stuff as it goes. I've noticed he's gradually sneaking bits of expensive Gretsch kit (shiny mid blue metallic) kit into his Yamaha rig. Noticeable difference I have to say. Fucking expensive but.

Killer drummer too.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

There's a few things can help other than hitting softer .... quieter drums, oil damped skins, plexi shield around kit etc

I'm almost always using IEM's these days and the attenuation is so good I have to have a bit of toms and hat in my IEM mix despite the fact I'm only 5 foot from the drum kit. That's the answer long term I spose , use IEM's

www.2020studios.co.uk