Could this be the reason

RockerRocker Frets: 4945
edited December 2013 in Off Topic
Yesterday after a short trip in our car, it was locked in the drive. Some time later, a quarter of an hour or so, the car alarm went off. I checked the car, no bird or animal inside the car and all the doors locked. The alarm went off som time later, again no obvious reason. In the following hour the alarm sounded twice more, again for no apparent reason. I then remembered that I had left my smartphone in the car which I retrieved. The car alarm did not sound after removing the phone. Got me wondering if the phone could have activated the car alarm, phone polling might have triggered the alarm electronics. Anyone had a similar experience?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Did you have the phone on vibrate? :)
  • Did you have any messages or notifications of any sort when you retrieved the phone? Maybe the vibrating battery triggered an alarm?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Was it windy?  I had the same thing on my old Mondeo. It was a bonnet switch just on the point of actuating, and the wind was lifting it just enough to set the alarm off.

• I'm assuming you just reset the alarm properly after retrieving the phone. You could, however, quite easily set up an experiment to see if it happens again with the phone ringing in the car.

Our budgie used to set the house alarm off. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Put the phone back in the car, lock it and then call the phone from your house/partner's phone and see if the alarm goes off...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    the phone didnt like being left in there alone. 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.