A tip for when you wash your iPhone ...

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27466
Not me.

My wife.  

Because she does the washing.  

And it was her iPhone, in her pocket of her coat.  That she put in the washing machine.  Not that I'm blaming anyone.

It was damaged beyond any repair that could be done by sticking it in a bag full of silica crystals in the airing cupboard for 48hrs.

Not insured, because we don't do silly things like leaving an iPhone in a pocket and sticking it in the washing machine.

New phone, £549.  

But, I thought, in full silver-lining mode, at least that'd be her Christmas present sorted out.

Phoned Apple yesterday, and they offered a replacement exchange.  That was at 4.15pm.  Today, Mr UPS arrived, delivered the replacement phone and took the dead one away.  Cost;  just under £200 (excl VAT).  

Impressed.

And what I saved has just been spent on something with 6 strings that won't fit in the washing machine.

So - top tip - Apple's out of warranty replacement service.   (relatively) inexpensive and impressively efficient.

Still need to find the Christmas present though.  
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• have you checked you don't get mobile insurance with your bank account?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You can't put a Samsung Note II in your pocket. Ergo, you cant wash one :)

• People wash coats?
    Old Is Gold
  • Antique_Guitars;97970" said:
    People wash coats?
    Frilly house coat I'm sure. Perfect for cleaning behind the fridge.

8-X
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    With Apple it is worked out on how recent your phone is.
    I paid £150 for a replacement 4s that I dropped in Thailand- was able to sell it for £280.

If you are rough on your phone it is sometimes worth 'dropping it' just before you upgrade as you can sell a brand new 'refurb' phone for a lot more than one that is bashed about.

In no way is the first paragraph linked to the second... ok? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27466
    Antique_Guitars;97970" said:
    People wash coats?
    Frilly house coat I'm sure. Perfect for cleaning behind the fridge.

8-X
    You don't know how wrong you are!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Apple customer service is (generally) awesome. Yet another reason I've converted. :)
  • TTony said:
    Not me.

My wife.  

Because she does the washing.  

And it was her iPhone, in her pocket of her coat.  That she put in the washing machine.  Not that I'm blaming anyone.

It was damaged beyond any repair that could be done by sticking it in a bag full of silica crystals in the airing cupboard for 48hrs.

Not insured, because we don't do silly things like leaving an iPhone in a pocket and sticking it in the washing machine.

New phone, £549.  

But, I thought, in full silver-lining mode, at least that'd be her Christmas present sorted out.

Phoned Apple yesterday, and they offered a replacement exchange.  That was at 4.15pm.  Today, Mr UPS arrived, delivered the replacement phone and took the dead one away.  Cost;  just under £200 (excl VAT).  

Impressed.

And what I saved has just been spent on something with 6 strings that won't fit in the washing machine.

So - top tip - Apple's out of warranty replacement service.   (relatively) inexpensive and impressively efficient.

Still need to find the Christmas present though.  
    I reckon this would solve the christmas present conundrum ;-)