Guitar amp software, speakers and the like

2»

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    No no no, just the Soldano one will do me, for now.  

:-D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Better than any modeller (at a reasonable price) are the AMT preamp pedals. Run them into your interface, then a DAW of choice (I use Reaper) with the free cab impulses from Redwirez.

Oh you fucker.. I now has GAS.. 
  • Jetfire said:
    Oh you fucker.. I now has GAS.. 
    Your life will be better for it. My folks are getting me another one (the Peavey 5150-alike) for Christmas, and that combined with the C-2 I have and an A/B loop pedal will also give me a 3 channel backup on my pedalboard which is likely to be almost as good as my actual amp.
    <space for hire>
    Are there pictures of your current set up on t'internet?
  • As it happens....no. It's not especially interesting, mind, but I can take photos tomorrow should you really want it :)
    <space for hire>
    Its more a case of how else you'd use a pedal like this... I could be a slap in the face to the Mesa to use this as a preamp rather than its own .. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited December 2013
    Ah, I see. Well, I don't have the dual pedal rig at the moment, so my current live setup wouldn't be particularly useful.

Here's how it's set up for recording:

Signal path is: Wah -> tuner -> phaser -> boost -> AMT C-2 -> Flashback -> audio interface (off-board, obviously)

The pedal next to the wah is just the amp channel switch, so not used in this situation. Ordinarily, the boost would go to the input on the front of my amp, and the Flashback would be in the loop. 

For an in-context comparison, here's a very rough (non-edited, barely-mixed, no vocals) copy of one of the songs we're working on:

The left channel rhythm is my normal live rig recorded with a whole bunch of mics. The right channel rhythm is the setup you see above, as is the solo (yes, it's cheesy; don't judge) - the output from the Flashback is recorded directly and then has cab impulses applied (SM57 and AKG C414B in front of a Marshall 1960 with G12Ms, if you're curious).

Also worthy of note is that the solo was done with the boost on in front of the C-2. Really makes it sing, IMO...far more than turning the gain up.

EDIT: You might have noticed that almost all the controls are pointing north. It's not a setup - that really is how I have my effects set. Apart from being exactly how I want them, it makes life easier when remembering how it goes when I get to a gig ;)
    <space for hire>
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited December 2013
    The OP probably would greatly benefit from getting a nicer set of speakers, since that is what they're listening to tones through.  A pair of powered laptop speakers are probably small and fairly tinny sounding - not what you want to reproduce a nice tone.

I think the first port of call is to buy some nicer speakers, and to investigate modeling software starting with the suggestions made in this thread.

You also have to appreciate that no set of studio speakers is going to sound like a guitar cab - you'll only get the tone of a mic'd guitar cab, which isn't really the same thing.  I know I'm being pedantic here but it is a distinction worth making peace with.  A larger and nicer set of speakers is really going to sound a whole lot better than some, what I'm assuming are tiny, laptop style speakers though.

I am of course making the assumption that for the OP playing and the enjoyment of playing is more important than the end result of recording.

• This stuff is pretty nice too. 

http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=var
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ^ They also did the digital preamps in the Marshall JMD-1.
  • Scuffham Amps S-Gear offers some superb guitar amps and pisses all over Guitar Rig. Amplitube isn't bad. If one Fender-type amp will do, I've loved playing this one for the last week. 

Much cheapness, much goodness. 

Main rig is a PC with an M-Audio Delta 66 card and Omni interface. I've een known to run outputs direct into the power amps on two Peavey Bandits for more noise and lovely sounds. Over the next month I shall be trying this with the laptop once my new NI Komplete Audio 6 interface gets here.