Show your Bicycles.....

What's Hot

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    strtdv said:
    Who is getting cycling related stuff for Christmas?

I'm hopefully getting some bits and pieces, a new 11-28 Ultegra cassette to replace the 11-32 that's there at the moment, some new cycling shoes, a new rear light (maybe a bontrager flare R I think), and maybe a couple of other bits as well.
    I'll also be keeping an eye out for a Garmin in January, maybe an Edge 820 if I can find one with a cadence and heart rate sensor at a good price..
    Few cycling presents for me :-)
    -A workshop stand, which is something I've wanted for ages. For Black Friday they were down to £25 in Halfords so I grabbed one then.
    - A "cake stop caddy" little wallet made out of old inner tubes: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/198030562/cake-stop-caddy-upcycled-inner-tube
    - A couple of jerseys and base layers from the Planet X sale.

And then I've got my 6year old daughter a new bike too in an attempt to get her in to riding.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Used the Pinnacle this morning.  Wow! Shows how important having the right frame size is. Eight best segments, fastest time by over a minute and it would have been even quicker but for traffic! 

Feels very lively and direct, much easier to pick up and maintain speed. Loving that I can directly compare with the Carrera as only the frame is different. Felt more comfortable and made the other frame seem like I was struggling against the size.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    Good stuff @BigMonka , a workshop stand is definitely one of the most useful pieces of kit to have.
    The wallet looks really neat, quite tempted by that, although I have to say I don't really do cake stops!
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    edited December 2016
    strtdv said:
    Good stuff @BigMonka , a workshop stand is definitely one of the most useful pieces of kit to have.
    The wallet looks really neat, quite tempted by that, although I have to say I don't really do cake stops!
    Nor do I, and not carrying a lock always makes that harder anyway.
    I'm getting the wallet for day-to-day use as I normally just have a couple of cards and notes in my pocket - this will make it easier to keep them all together and stop them rubbing together (my last credit card became very hard to use as it had got so battered being loose in pockets with keys/change etc).

Edit to say that I also liked the idea of supporting a small company that up-cycles something which all us cyclists end up chucking in landfill.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    I've seen quite a few Wiggle and Tredz parcels turn up over the last few days which promising!

Also done a couple of hundred more miles on the Cube. The mudguards are a bit of a fiddle to get just right (allegedly you can fit 28c rubber under them but I doubt that very much), but I've got them pretty much spot on now I think.
    The other niggle is the rear brake is prone to squeal a bit. I've had a look, cleaned the disc, cleaned the pads and made sure everything is centred, and it's still there. I think it's a combination of metallic residue building up on the pads, and the fact that so much mud gets thrown around the rear disc. Performance seems unaffected so a minor annoyance more than anything.
    Long term I might change the rear to 140mm anyway as it's got way more power than you can use at present, and it would even up the feel between front and rear brakes.

Really loving riding it though, the mudguards once set up do a good job, the bike is dead comfortable, and it's perfect in bad conditions, I'll never be going back to rim brakes for wet riding.
    The Cube sounds very cool! 

Ive got my certificate through so the Felt Z5 has been authorised. Can't wait!

Niallmo said:
    The Cube sounds very cool! 

Ive got my certificate through so the Felt Z5 has been authorised. Can't wait!

Excellent! Is it in clear lacquered carbon? The finish looks great. Decent price too, and light enough that climbs won't be a chore.
    That'll work really well as a bike that's fast enough for when the weather is nice and you want a quick blast, but also comfortable. It also means you're free to really go for an all out gravel/adventure bike setup with the Pinnacle :)
    Yes I think it's gloss carbon. There is not an awful lot out there in terms of pictures, I think people tend to go for the Specialized/Cannondale/Giant etc so Cube and Felt are a bit left field at the £1200 - £1500 level but I've never been one to choose a popular option if there is something "better" at the same price. It doesn't really need any upgrades (I have some 105 calipers for it if needed) and it has a carbon seatpost already.  I could get lighter wheels but that's for next year sometime.

It should make the commute a bit speedier lol.

I used to (briefly) have a Boardman Carbon at 8.9kg that I felt really fast on and was clearly quicker on segments so I'm very much looking forward to the Felt. I'm a lot fitter now too. (Resting heart rate of 45-50)  I have some longer rides planned for it than just to work and back and I'll be wanting to do hillier routes 

I'm going to fit my currently unused SKS 'guards to the Pinnacle and use it through winter on the damp/rainy/foggy roads with maybe 28's with a bit of tread for light trails. I'm going to use Halfords clip on stays as the SKS ones need to be cut down and look really fiddly to get right.  

I can also put the 2.2 knobblies back on the 29'er and explore some back routes to work.
  • Dan86Dan86 Frets: 116
    maidenfan said:
    Dan86 said:
    Is that a remedy frame? I'd be interested to know what else you did to it, and why?
    Hey, Yeah its a 2017 Trek remedy 7.

I wanted a solid build without going too nuts about the weight, so went for the alloy version. Doesn't come with the most amazing high end parts, so basically stripped it and sold everything except the frame, forks and headset.

Wheels and brakes were fairly basic so upgraded to hope tech 3 brakes and hope enduro wheelset.

Dropper post was a cheapo thing so changed to a 9.8 Fall Line dropper.

Gears were fine, 2x10, but I wanted a 1x10 so changed all that lot too, to saint/zee with oneup 42t top ring and cages, and raceface cinch cranks. 

Then just Hope/chromag finishing kit to match the rest of the stuff.
    My art/photography : http://danuk86.deviantart.com
    Thanks man! 

strtdv said:

As a roadie, I have no idea what I'm looking at, but it looks very sharp and the 1x setup appeals a lot.

I see Shimano have brought out an XT Di2 system which can work on either a 2x or a 1x with a single shifter.

• Dan86 said:
    maidenfan said:
    Dan86 said:
    Is that a remedy frame? I'd be interested to know what else you did to it, and why?
    Hey, Yeah its a 2017 Trek remedy 7.

I wanted a solid build without going too nuts about the weight, so went for the alloy version. Doesn't come with the most amazing high end parts, so basically stripped it and sold everything except the frame, forks and headset.

Wheels and brakes were fairly basic so upgraded to hope tech 3 brakes and hope enduro wheelset.

Dropper post was a cheapo thing so changed to a 9.8 Fall Line dropper.

Gears were fine, 2x10, but I wanted a 1x10 so changed all that lot too, to saint/zee with oneup 42t top ring and cages, and raceface cinch cranks. 

Then just Hope/chromag finishing kit to match the rest of the stuff.
    Thanks for that, looking at a remedy for my first fs bike. I have a Trek hard tail which I really like, so will prob stick with Trek, my local bike shop is fantastic for support, so would rather support him, he deals a lot with trek and tends to do good deals at the end of the year.

No probs man, 

They are great bikes for the money, this was £2000 standard, (same price as carbon frame only) and a decent spec.. I'm used to all the Hope kit and 1x10 gearing on my previous bikes hence all the changes. . By the time I'd sold the parts and bought new ones, the build worked out to £3300 I think.
    The Felt has been built/adjusted for size and is packed ready to be dispatched by Wiggle. Might arrive on Friday....
  • Not a bike, but a bike accessory, just got one of these;

Awesome light.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Not bad. My Aldi lights are a bit like that and I've just got a couple of rear lights for a fiver off eBay that put two red lines on the road behind the bike...
    edited December 2016
    Few more of my custom builds,
     Rocky Mountain carbon Altitude. 
    GT GTR flatbar, was originally Rachel Atherton's road bike (with lime stripes) Airbrushed red by me and converted to a flatbar commuter. Great for my busy city commute.
    And my Trek Ticket jump bike at my local trails.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20852209/IMG_1848 - Copy.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20852209/IMG_1534s.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20852209/IMG_1915S.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Dan86 I like the idea of a £3k carbon Dura-ace race bike as a flatbar commuter!
    Wouldn't be a bad thing. Nice Pinnarello Dogma F8 with Di2 for my 9 mile commute. I'm sure there are people out there who already do it...
    strtdv said:
    @Dan86 I like the idea of a £3k carbon Dura-ace race bike as a flatbar commuter!
    It is great for my hectic commute. I work in Coventry which was voted worst traffic in UK after London. Much prefer flat bars and flat pedals for stop/start riding and dodging idiots and potholes. 

As it was an ex GT team bike, I paid about £660 for it, sold some of the bits and used my dura ace stuff and built some stronger wheels for every day use/crap roads. 

I am used to downhill bikes, jump bikes and big trail bikes, so I haven't really ever got on well with drop bars, feel much more at home on the flat bars.