Gibson Blues King questions

What's Hot
WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
edited December 2013 in Acoustics
I spotted a nice Gibson Blues King on Ebay.

I can't find any information about it so I emailed the seller who I believe is a bit of a dealer. I asked him for any information and additionally how much it was new and where it was bought from. He responded;

"Hi,check out the Gibson Blues King on ebay with a buy it now $3500.00 Note that it has a damaged / repaired neck.
If you are interested give me a call on: 0775xxxxxxxxx
Regards"

I couldn't find the other Blues King on Ebay nor did he answer my question and I get the feeling that he may pulling the wool. If I have to spend more than this sort of money, it takes me up into used Lowden territory and to be honest, a Lowden would be a better guitar in all probability.

So, my learned friends, what's the value of this and any other comments/opinions before I go and take a look?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    you are correct, if you are spending lowden area money then get a lowden. Tried a few blueskings and not impressed (tho generally not impressed with Gibson acoustics).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited December 2013
    VimFuego said:
    you are correct, if you are spending lowden area money then get a lowden. 

(tho generally not impressed with Gibson acoustics).
    this, tho "lowden" can be changed for other brands
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    yup, but can't be arsed to list all the brands that are better than gibbo tho.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• The Blues King is a typical 1930s style "blues box" L-00 type and sounds boxy and middy by nature - it won't sound as "nice" as something like a small-bodied Martin. I remember trying one a few years ago and being disappointed by the sound, although I now own something similar myself (albeit at about a tenth of the price!) it's an aquired taste.

The guitar that comes out at the top of the list in the link is not a Blues King IMO.

edited December 2013
    the guitar in the pic in the OP, isnt like any blues king Ive seen before..................the ones I tried yonks ago were narrow shouldered small 000/parlor sized with HUGE actions and unremarkable tone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson Blues King:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere - it's a Songwriter:

• Well spotted that man - have a wisdom!
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    No, it's not a Songwriter - it's an EC-30 'Blues King Electro':

A completely different guitar from the regular L-00 Blues King (the small-bodied darkburst pictured above), which is a better guitar than people give it credit for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting. I also came across THIS which has a different bridge and was nowhere near what this guy is asking price wise. Yes, the prices are a little less over in the States but would anyone say that it is priced right for here?
    confused.com

the original post was for an £1800 guitar in Bangor, that the guy responded to you in $ ?  the original ad mentions nothing of neck repair.......but he did in his email ?    
    The second one is about £300 cheaper - at the moment ?
  • WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
    edited December 2013
    bertie said:
    confused.com

the original post was for an £1800 guitar in Bangor, that the guy responded to you in $ ?  the original ad mentions nothing of neck repair.......but he did in his email ?    
    The second one is about £300 cheaper - at the moment ?
    I just asked him what the price originally was and where he bought it from just to get a feel for how much of a bargain it was. He came back to me, not answering the question but drawing my attention to a $3500 guitar on Ebay US with a repaired neck. Personally I would value his guitar at around £1200. Any more than that and there are a host of better instruments to choose from including some luthier built ones.
  • Brize said:
    No, it's not a Songwriter - it's an EC-30 'Blues King Electro':

I gave you a wisdom for pointing out my mistake... but there seems to be a lot of confusion. A google image search on either name reveals very similar guitars to the one in the link, although a moustache bridge seems more common in the Songwriters and the Blues Kings have a plainer bridge. Apparently the Blues King Electro eventually became the J-185 (like a mini J-200 with the moustache bridge). Bit strange to use the Blues King name when it conjures up the L-00 shape to most people.
    either way,  the L-00 shape ones are less than awful, and uber over priced
    edited December 2013
    Bit strange to use the Blues King name when it conjures up the L-00 shape to most people.
    Agreed - a strange name for that guitar.

bertie said:
    either way,  the L-00 shape ones are less than awful, and uber over priced
    I have an L-00 Blues King and it's a great guitar for what it is. Can't disagree with you that it's over-priced, though, especially given that a £1,700 guitar comes with a gig bag. That's some serious piss-taking from Gibson.
    edited December 2013
    £1700 will get you an awful lot more with another name on the headstock.    That being said,  if you're a heavy player, who has a thumping style more than fingerpicks,  I can see the attraction.   They're a solidly built beast,  but thats not something I'd personally want from a small bodied guitar.  I prefer a more lightly constructed more responsive box.

Each to his own, as they say.
    Yeah, it kinda does what it says on the tin. It's great for Robert Johnson blues; less great if you want to play James Taylor stuff.
    I play James Johnson 

:)

or is it Robert Taylor.............. or Big Bill Hurt,  maybe Mississippi Grossman  - I really dont know