Shylock Discussion

What's Hot
This discussion was created from comments split from: Shylock Discussion.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Sorry to hear of your problems, and I know I'm relatively new here.

Just to point out phrases like 'the Shylock' may be offensive to some of us on here - and that's not political correctness
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24630
    peteri said:

Just to point out phrases like 'the Shylock' may be offensive to some of us on here - and that's not political correctness
    Are you a ruthless & cruel money lender then?
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Not funny
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wasn't being. I was under the impression that most definitions of the word are either are either the characters name itself from The Merchant of Venice, or separately, a loan shark irrespective of background.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5296
    i thought it was quite humorous.........@peteri reply made me feel weary..does it really matter or are we all going to have to be "sensitive" to any use of cultural figures/stereotypes...i fucking hate all that mate......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I've just checked a few proper dictionary sites. Seems I'm right. Def 1, in capitals, is the character, def 2 is loan shark with no mention of background. Verb use is for lending money at exhorbitant rates. Still no background.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    i thought it was quite humorous.........@peteri reply made me feel weary..does it really matter or are we all going to have to be "sensitive" to any use of cultural figures/stereotypes...i fucking hate all that mate......
    Sensitivity to a fictional character would be weird.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    peteri said:

Are you a ruthless & cruel money lender then
    I thought he was a fictional detective ?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited March 2016
    peteri said:

I didn't know Joe Marler was on this forum
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511

Would the Hooded Claw be OK?

peteri said:

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    Wasn't being. I was under the impression that most definitions of the word are either are either the characters name itself from The Merchant of Venice, or separately, a loan shark irrespective of background.
    Also, of course, widely regarded as an antisemitic slur in some communities. Surely that's not news to people in these enlightened times? Whether or not this board - well known for it's support of freedom of speech - would consider that an issue is another matter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I'm struggling to understand why 'Shylock' would be offensive to anyone.

I used to go to a barber called Shylock and Barnett, I don't remember any protesters boycotting the place.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    It's probably worth pointing out that the whole of my Fathers side of the family is Jewish - I'm a fairly unlikely anti-Semite!

Fairly sure this thread was about flagging the rather dubious trading practices of Haars Guitars, but I'm afraid I neglected to confirm his ethnicity

Peace y'all!
    :)
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Quick Google suggests that Shakespeare is considered to be anti semitic by some and productions of the Merchant of Venice sometimes receive protests due to the portrayal of Shylock (who converts from Judaism by the end IIRC). There's a story, for example, of vice president Biden having to publicly apologise for use of the term in 2014.

I don't think I've ever used the word in any context but I can see how it would be considered to be offensive (portraying a highly negative Jewish stereotype) although if I had started this morning trying to think of offensive words I'm not sure I would have come up with it. Learn something new every day. And Haars Guitars the... bad people... B-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    fretmeister;1007546" said:
    Exactly the reason I lol'd the mention of it being offensive, surely you'd have to have an affinity with a cruel (and fictional) character to be offended by it.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Moe_Zambeek;1007622" said:
    fretmeister said:

Also, of course, widely regarded as an antisemitic slur in some communities. Surely that's not news to people in these enlightened times? Whether or not this board - well known for it's support of freedom of speech - would consider that an issue is another matter.
    I've never been aware of it being an anti Jewish remark, it doesn't make sense to be either, Shylock was hated because of his ruthlessness, cruel and lack of empathy, not because he was Jewish. It's like saying someone is acting like Hitler is offensive to Germans.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    It's not rocket science to see that Shylock - a character portraying a particularly vicious form of usury and an almost inhumane love of money over people, ties in with common antisemitic views of the Jewish race as being similarly in love with money over all else. See similar phraseology such as ' yeah, he jewed me out of a tenner!'. The Jewish race is often portrayed as being all about the money, to the detriment of whichever race wants to use this as a means of diverting attention from any given problem they have, or just to create a focal point for anger.

For this reason, there are some in the Jewish community who consider the character of Shylock to be an offensive characterization of their entire race. This is not a new thing - there are many who thought Shakespeare deliberately created Shylock to embody that particular negative view of Jews. The reason why he did so is debated - either to shine a light on a cruel and unfair perception of a race, or just to embody the popular view of the time. Depends how generous you want to be about old Will's intentions.

I'm not Jewish, I have Jewish friends who wouldn't be offended by this, but i'm aware of the fact it's considered a slur by many. That's all. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Lawyers get called shysters all the time. Background doesn't come into it.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Shylock isn't as bad a word as raghead.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

I've never heard Shyster used as an anti-Semitic insult, I just thought it related to a specific character and his distasteful personal traits.

I would say I'll stop using it, but I don't really use it anyway.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread