Breaking strings

What's Hot
I keep breaking strings at the bridge, I do a lot of Townsend style acoustic violence. But I break them when I'm doing thumb and finger open tuned slide blues as well. With my palm on the bridge to mute. I stretch them when I put them on any ideas how I can stop this? Apart from being gentler which doesn't appeal to me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited December 2013
    a little bit of lube in the grooves at both ends may help. Bridge and nut.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Maybe you've got sharp points on your bridge. And try thinner strings.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I'm using 13s and orange tortex, it's always the d and g, and occasionally the low e. I might try lowering the gauge to 12s and see what happens. As I have a resonator kicking about for the blues stuff. Cheers
  • Stop sweating. The moisture from your hand on the saddle is corroding the string and causing the breakage. Try wearing marigolds - or keep wiping your hand on a towel
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited December 2013
    no idea who "Townsend" is.......(not Pete surely ??)....but if you're a heavy handed flatpicker/strummer  giving the strings a good belting,  then lower gaugestrings arent going to help.............. I suspect you're causing "damage"  and/or a weakness during your "flailing" moments, and then and the fact they're breaking when fingerpicking  could be down to the down tune/re tuning....that can accentuate any metal fatigue/damage

Strings breakages is nothing but an occupational hazard if you're very heavy handed........but not to the extent you're getting them I suspect

Id definitely get the strings off, and check the bridge for sharp edges,  a little light sanding with emery paper might help - or even a new bridge saddle !!
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited December 2013
    Pretty much all of the above, plus as BenSirAmos said, sweat is getting trapped in the string windings from palm wrest / muting and corroding the string core where it is weakest.  Not sure whether it is good advice (caveat), but WD40 or similar carefully and sparingly applied to just that bit (i.e. not sprayed on) may protect the string core from corrosive moisture somewhat and prolong string life.  Probably not good for the wood though.  Just a thought...

edit: Maybe vegetable oil or similar may be effective and less risky, what do others think?

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    wayneirie said:
    I keep breaking strings at the bridge, I do a lot of Townsend style acoustic violence. But I break them when I'm doing thumb and finger open tuned slide blues as well. With my palm on the bridge to mute. I stretch them when I put them on any ideas how I can stop this? Apart from being gentler which doesn't appeal to me.
    It's like complaining that your guitar keeps breaking when you stand on it.....go figure.  :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11892
    buy some 1000 or 2000 grade emery paper, fold it, and sand the saddles a bit
    It could be your flails though
  • I hate breaking strings.

Play softer.