Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Strat thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24198
    My 2003 American Standard. Black plate and loaded with Lollar Black Face pickups.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Laverly. I do like the black scratchplate/white pickup combo. Very SRV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    wolf5150 said:
    That Dan Smith was lovely.
    Why hadn't anyone played it ?
    Must be a dog. ..
    Not impressed with the supplied case either. . Lol.
    The packing case was the orIginal one THe guitar was shipped in. It had the serial number and specification printed on the box, so I thought it would be nice to keep it that way. I also had the correct Fender rectangular plastic case that I sold with the guitar. The original owner had bought it as an investment (Dan Smith's were very highly regarded even in the mid 80's). it had obviously never been played. There wasn't a mark anywhere on the guitar, and all the controls and switch were tight and stiff to operate. I had lot's of other guitars, so it just seemed a shame to risk marking it in any way. I did play it sparingly at home, and it certainly wasn't a dog! (Dan Smith's are usually lovely).
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    bazxkr;117437" said:
    Gru said:

bazxkr;115916" said:Wow, that is a whole load of gorgeous Strats on show here... I have 5 at the moment...here they are...Top to bottom...White Fender 2005 CIJ ST43, USA Fender 2006 LE Diamond 60th anniversary, natural partscaster, white Fender 1997 MIJ Blackmore Sig, black Fender MIM Roland 

Cheers Baz

Really like the CIJ at he top. Seeing as you have both maple and rosewood boards, do you have any preference of which you prefer to play? Do they feel different to play, sound different in tone?

I have struggled to find that many maple board strats to try, in my local shop the guitars with rosewood normally outnumber the maple by 20:1

Strat wise I only have a cheap affinity, again with a rosewood board, but I loved the Pacifica I had with maple.

I do have a thing about maple necks & my Albert Lee has a MN too. CIJ/MIJ are superb guitars.The MN do feel different to RW strangely enough almost like need a lighter touch, but think that it is in my mind rather than the wood. Difficult to know about the tone as all the guitars have different pups, bridge etc. so all sound different anyway. Know what you mean about very few MN about in the shops.The natural partscaster one I have has a warmoth MN & they are not silly priced. Maybe try to find a reasonably priced MN to fit the affinity then you will be able to A-B necks accurately ?  Have known affinitys be upgraded and punch way above their weight.Cheers Baz
    Thanks for the reply and the information on warmoth necks, something I will keep in mind. I finally put strings on my affinity this morning and I am quite amazed how easily it plays with a nice soft touch It would certainly be a shame to mess that up at the moment and was super easy to set up with low action. It amazes me sometimes, the affinity cost me £65 including fender amp and well padded bag, yet plays easier and with a lower action than a £400 Fret King that I had. Maybe it's the medium jumbo frets suit me better, as the ones on the Fret king were definitely taller. It has certainly made me think about getting a high end Strat.
    paulk;117803" said:
    Fantastic looking Strat, what colour is that?

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    paulk said:

Holy cow, we have a winner! Tell us more please......
  • My 2 Strats, 

Blue = 2005 Fender USA FSR Deluxe "Bad Boy Blue" Ash body, Ebony board, absolute quality, 
    Natural = 1980 Tokai Springy Sound ST85 2 piece ash, rosewood board, 64 Copy and lovely!

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    dindude said:
    ....Holy cow, we have a winner! Tell us more please......
    Glad you like it. It's a lowly Squier CV 60's in LPB with a matching headstock. It is a bit of a looker even if I say so myself. Here's the catalog shot:

and the real thing at home.

Not much to add really. It's a Classic Vibe so most of us know by now whether we like them or not. I do :)

I had expected to want to tweak it a bit but in the couple of weeks I've had it it's been gigged, rehearsed and recorded and until bits start falling off or breaking it's staying stock. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    @paulk I'm a sucker for LPB, although it looked more like Ice Blue in your pics. I picked up and played one of those Squiers with matching headstocks in a store earlier this year and it was a fab guitar, lovely light weight. I would have taken it home but I feared for my relationship with my CS Strat.
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    @dindude To my eyes it's more ice blue than LPB but the specsheet says LPB. My errant photography skills could explain that.
    paulk;118134" said:
    dindude said:

....Holy cow, we have a winner! Tell us more please......

Glad you like it. It's a lowly Squier CV 60's in LPB with a matching headstock. It is a bit of a looker even if I say so myself. Here's the catalog shot:

and the real thing at home.

Not much to add really. It's a Classic Vibe so most of us know by now whether we like them or not. I do :)

I had expected to want to tweak it a bit but in the couple of weeks I've had it it's been gigged, rehearsed and recorded and until bits start falling off or breaking it's staying stock. 
    The CV range have had some good reviews and seem great for the money. I wish I had purchased the CV tele that I looked at in the summer, I think I would still have it now.

The colour looks superb. Interesting how the colour appears in different light. It definitely looked more ice than lpb in the first photo. Both are great colours.
    Handsome_Chris;118252" said:
    I really like the first one, nice flame and binding. Certainly unusual on a Strat shape, and an hsh too. Very nice.

• This is my 56 relic. Had it since 2004, so one of the earlier models. Stock barring the jumbo frets which I had fitted and then graduated to more like a 9.5 radius
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited February 2014
    Some absolute beauties on here. :)

Here are my two partscasters -

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    My Jeff Senn Strat

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Some very nice starts in here.. all fuelling my GAS..
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I had a moment of weakness and put my Tokai up for sale this week. Played it the last couple of nights quite heavily, clean, and realised just how incredible it is. Duly withdrew it tonight!
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    ok, here's mine, my first proper guitar and the most expensive I ever bought. It's a late 70s / early 80s Fender (apparently you cannot be sure about when exactly the lefties were thrown together out of left-over parts back then) I got in '86. It has had various pickup sets over the years, currently Duncan vintage in the neck and middle and an Oil City Tele PU in the bridge but I still have the originals.