Blooze Minimalism

What's Hot
What's the minimum you can get away with in a blooze type I IV V?

If A is I, D is IV and E is V. For the A chord, play frets 5,6 on strings 4,3 respectively. The G is the b7 and the C# is the 3 in the A chord. That's enough to characterise it, you can let the bass player supply the roots. To change to the D chord, move the pattern down 1 fret. The lower note is now F# (the 3rd of the D chord) and the higher one, C, is the b7. To change to the E chord move it all up 2 frets (G#, D) same relationship.

2 strings, 2 notes, only moving by a maximum of 2 frets. You're getting tired, it's near the end of the gig, its about time the bass player did some work anyway, so find some chunky little rhythm to knock this out with while your arm & finger muscles recover.
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Albert Collins built his career on doing stuff like that. In some circumstances it is perfectly okay to play no notes at all, just beat out a wacka wacka on the muted guitar strings and no one knows the difference. And impossible to play a wrong note.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    @Phil_aka_Pip have a Wisdom !
    B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Ooo I like that.

I one of my bands we do this rock'n'roll 12 bar medley as a set closer. Starts with Johnny B Goode (in A) and the singer then goes on through various other songs of that ilk (along with band introductions and general 'thanks for coming banter'....it can last for what seems like hours!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the minimum you can get away with in a blooze type I IV V?

If A is I, D is IV and E is V. For the A chord, play frets 5,6 on strings 4,3 respectively. The G is the b7 and the C# is the 3 in the A chord. That's enough to characterise it, you can let the bass player supply the roots. To change to the D chord, move the pattern down 1 fret. The lower note is now F# (the 3rd of the D chord) and the higher one, C, is the b7. To change to the E chord move it all up 2 frets (G#, D) same relationship.

2 strings, 2 notes, only moving by a maximum of 2 frets. You're getting tired, it's near the end of the gig, its about time the bass player did some work anyway, so find some chunky little rhythm to knock this out with while your arm & finger muscles recover.

Aka 'guide tones'!
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    I think you can get away with playing xxxxx3 repetitively throughout that I IV V sequence.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    that's excellent info.
    it also clears up the space for the higher frequencies, specially if the soloist is into modern blues and throws altered colors (flat-sharp 5s or 9s).
    the same exact fingering-voicing can be used if you want to throw a iii-iv-ii-v turnaround instead of resting on the E at the end of the blues cycle;
    you just move the shape up to the 9th fret and move down chromatically to the (#G, D) shape described in the OP
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited August 2013
    Like your thinking @Catthan, did you mean III-VI-II-V ?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10360
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Cool - doesn't Mr Page do something similar with one of his guitar parts in 'Rock and Roll'?
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10360
    tFB Trader

citizen68 said:
    Cool - doesn't Mr Page do something similar with one of his guitar parts in 'Rock and Roll'?
    There's nowt new .... :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Like your thinking @Catthan, did you mean III-VI-II-V ?
    Exactly,,