Any chainsaw users?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24586
I have need to cut logs into slices lengthways and as I don't have a big bandsaw or huge table saw, I have to use my chainsaw. My question is how can I secure the log so I can slice it?

Easy enough to do across the growth axis with a saw horse but along the axis ??
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28949
    Grip it between your knees.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4313
    A couple of sash cramps along the log, then clamp or screw them down to a bench or workmate.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737
    Slightly less flippantly, I think what you're after is a chainsaw mill.

Or to get someone with the kit to come and do it for you, quickly and safely.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've been incredibly wary of the things since a schoolfriend was killed using one. It left quite an impression on my fourteen year old self and I haven't been able to even watch someone use one since, yet alone use one myself.
    For Christ's sake, be careful!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    I can imagine Boris might be considering investing in one....
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
    Can you stand the log up and then cut down?
    I've found that the chains are designed for cutting across the grain, so ripping a log into slices isn't what it's best at. How accurate does it need to be? What are you doing with the wood?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I would put a large flat stump down as a support/stand and then use the spikes on the front of the chainsaw to do it. Easy going on pushing the saw through the wood, you want to be as gentle as you can but keep the revs up because you're cutting a long length of wood. Once you've done the first stump into a half-stump it gets easier since there's a flat surface to lay down. Its all about having a light touch, being able to accurately position the chain and being able to back off if you're mispositioned rather than slicing through and cutting in the wrong place.

Of course, since you're cutting along the grain, you could use a log splitter or axe quite easily but its still possible with a chainsaw.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Most people would use an axe to spilt them after cutting them across the diameter. Or how about a log-splitter? You might be able to hire one.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2480
    Use an axe. You can split logs up to about 3 feet in length that way, depending on the wood.

There are also hydraulic splitters that'll do the same thing.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3082
    log splitter. Safer and you can pretend to be Thor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Stevepage said:
    log splitter. Safer and you can pretend to be Thor.
    Wisdom or LoL?

Wisdom  - Anything which allows you to legitimately pretend to be Thor, *must* be the best way.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    The nordic folk spit long logs laid on their side and cleaved near the end.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24586
    Hmm...  Some interesting ideas here, but none really suitable for my specific requirements.  A log splitter would, I suspect, leave very rough sides to the slices, as it is effectively tearing the wood apart.  The wood is being used in art, and whilst a chainsaw cut isn't exactly super-smooth, it's better than a log splitter.  Plus, I need to get multiple slices from small logs (say 8" dia x 12" long).  That's too big to fit in my bandsaw.  @Paul_c2 I'm not sure I follow what you're describing..  could you elaborate on the chainsaw-spikes method please ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I thought you were quartering logs for firewood. I used to have a small solid fuel stove with a small-ish door on it and often the logs needed to be cut down to fit in it - also, the smaller the logs, will burn quicker to heat up the room quicker.

The chainsaw has spikes fitted at the front of the body, these can be used to hold a piece of wood which is getting cut. It might be that your chainsaw is missing these if you've never heard of it but I'm surprised, they are used quite frequently - what type of cuts do you do with the chainsaw?
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1388
    Cutting logs in this way buggers the chain. Don't do it. Log splitters are great. On the other hand buy yourself a fiskars axe. A tool of the gods- a modest blow smashes logs along the grain. You are Thor, never mind pretending..... Other than the fact that Thor had a hammer.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Emp_Fab said:
    A log splitter would, I suspect, leave very rough sides to the slices, as it is effectively tearing the wood apart.  The wood is being used in art, and whilst a chainsaw cut isn't exactly super-smooth, it's better than a log splitter.
    Bung it through a thicknesser and a planer afterwards? How smooth do you need it?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm worried by the chainsaw
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12042
    Emp_Fab said:
    I have need to cut logs into slices lengthways 
    why??