I saw these guys last night (prog content, feat. new contender for favourite solo ever)

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited July 2016 in Music
A band called Frost*. I don't know how familiar you lot will be with them already but they're a supergroup - Jem Godfrey on vocals and keys, who is actually a well known pop songwriter (has written or co-written a few no.1 singles), John Mitchell on vocals and guitar, who has also played with Arena and It Bites, Nathan King on bass and vocals, who has played guitar in Level 42 and is the brother of a certain other member of that band, and Craig Blundell on drums, who is currently Steven Wilson's drummer.

They are very proggy but don't fall into the trap of being a boring wankfest like modern day Dream Theater etc. Modern sound with lots of electronic stuff happening, occasional bits of mind-bending time signature trickery, a fair few atmospheric quieter sections and also lots of vocal harmonies and so on. The songs are really well-constructed and interesting, and it goes without saying they're all shit-hot players. John Mitchell is my new guitar hero - he can burn when he wants to but his solos are so melodic and tasteful, he never overplays for the sake of it. Great voice too - and fantastic tone, from really cheap gear. He was using PRS SEs all night, and brought out a Vintage Lemon Drop for one downtuned number. 

They also seem like really nice, down-to-earth guys and their between-song banter was hilarious - that combined with the awe-inspiring music made it the best gig I've seen for absolutely ages.

I didn't know them well before seeing them, I went as a friend of mine had a spare ticket, and I'd only heard the one song posted below - which they did near the end of the set, and it was brilliant.

That song also has a properly amazing guitar solo at 2:55, which continues for about two minutes and is a sublime exercise in how to do a long solo that is a piece in itself, which remains interesting and never descends into playing for its own sake.

There's a few other solos in this track (like at 9:25 over the heavy final section, which is also killer).

Absolutely amazing band - most exciting and inspiring thing I've heard from the prog scene in ages, and I would heartily recommend going to see them live if you can.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Frost* are great.      Jem is amazingly talented (and funny.   
    John Mitchell is probably better known for his work with It Bities - a bit different to frank Dunnery but very very good.  
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    I knew about Frost but this has reminded me to buy some of their music. Thanks for posting. Excellent stuff.

It's not a competition.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited July 2016
    Woah - loving this so far!! 
    It's great you do posts like this - keep doing them! 
    The kick in solo at 2:55 sounds great - what amp!?  
    DEFINITELY going to have to check this out. Was it some big venue they were playing or was it a small intimate thing? 

Great again around 7 mins - really fantastic stuff!! Same for 7:20...!!

This is TOTALLY my sort of thing. 
    The guitar outro work is great - really suits the track - not just a w*nkfest.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @thomasross20 He uses a Marshall rack set-up, and that was probably recorded on the Cort guitars he used to use... he does have a USA PRS Classic as well I believe. The gig was at the O2 Academy in Islington.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    I think John Mitchell used to use a Marshall JMP 1 pre amp with a Marshall 80/80 valvestate power amp. I'm not sure which processor he had in the rack. I used to use a very similar set up.
    It's not a competition.
    Thanks, guys!
    And good show @Bucket - one of the best recommendations so far - hope there's loads to come!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    edited August 2016
    I'm a massive prog head, Frost* are a superb band. I'd love to see them live. You are right great solo at 2.55. I love prog solos, they often go for strong melodic stuff with breathing space.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Posted this on a prog forum last year:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
    Nice find, not heard of them before. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited August 2016
    Great band. Heard Milliontown when it came out and been a fan ever since. Saw them supporting the Flower Kings ages ago and they were excellent.

The new album, Falling Satellites, is well worth a listen.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    Superb band. I saw them support Dream Theater several years ago and they were great, they put on a brilliant performance. For whatever reason I haven't listened to their stuff since but after hearing this (awesome solo btw) I think I'm gonna have to!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33849
    Not heard of these guys and that is weird because it is exactly my sort of thing.
    Cheers Bucket.

Aside: Has anyone else started mentally pronouncing Bucket's username as "Bouquet" as in from "Keeping Up Appearances"?
    No?
    Just me then.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited August 2016
    Frost* are great - John Mitchell is a great player - he also guests on an album a few of my friends have done recently - he does a fantastic solo - the band are called TILT and have a few of Fish's ex and current members in the band as well as a forum member from here! 

Craig's facebook is really good too - he discusses his drumming and challenges getting where he is, especially while riddled with doubt about being good enough (mad I know!)