Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Empty 2017 Category on Gibson.com

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    DrBob said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    roberty said:
    @bobliefeld ;Look what's happened.  I hope you're proud of yourself! ;-)

https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-2017-line-rumours-heating/

He could have at least said it was a masterful piece of deception to make those of us who fell for it feel a bit better... :s
    Agreed 'pretty weak hoax' ? How dare they ? Xx
    Then they predict a JoBo signature product of some kind. Next in Slacker predicts that Gibson will be making a Les Paul next year. You heard it here folks. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    ^ lol

I think it's modern street slang, you know like bad is good, sick is excellent. 
    'Pretty weak' must mean 'fiendishly executed deception, destined to fool even the sharpest minds'  
    yep that must be it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    The Flying B, Joe Bonamassa signature guitar.  Flying V shape with a "Reverse Firebird" style heck and headstock. The Flying B is the first guitar to feature the new Gibson Buckermassa pickup.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Firebird Zero...

thats all I'm saying...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a bit of a weird line up with all the Firebirds, the Custom Studio thing
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited September 2016
    The 2017 Tribute T line looks good though, especially the Gold Top. £720 on Musician's Friend.

Custom Special looks really cool to. But a Standard is now well over 2k? Trads very near 2k...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Firebird Zero

Fugly or cool? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson 2017's line up so far looks pretty terrible. 2016 seemed to be a pretty decent lineup.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Firebird Zero

Fugly or cool? 
    Truly hideous - probably got a bolt on neck too.
  • Firebird Zero

Fugly or cool? 

Cool.

The goldtop looks good too but it needs P90s, damnit.

• longjaw said:
     Truly hideous - probably got a bolt on neck too.
    glued in maple neck, $499 street price. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    edited September 2016
    Well that FB is odd, but they're trying. 

The couldn't-be-more-confusingly-named0if-they-tried "Les Paul Custom Special" looks intriguing. Slightly odd but The SG version less so. Should be a really good bargain when they're on Amazon for £300 next June...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2017-les-paul-custom-special-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2017-sg-custom-special-electric-guitar

(Can't make the picture work)

Other musings:

- Baffled that they've taken the "pokerchips" of the switches for the LP Standards. Cost savings in the extreme?!?!

- Still no natural finish Explorers

- Nice to see the Firebird Studio back for a bit; I always had a soft spot for them. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Have they forgotten how to make P90's or are these models to follow I wonder.
  • My version of this...

https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-2017-lineup-new-finishes-new-weight-relief-new-amazon-pricing/

Feel free to add any more anomalies or strangeness about this launch. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307

The couldn't-be-more-confusingly-named0if-they-tried "Les Paul Custom Special" looks intriguing.
    Yes. It would have been much simpler just to call it the Sonex II, then everyone would know what to expect :).

The Firebird thing isn't terrible but as usual they have to go and ruin it with one detail - the misaligned knobs and switch. They should all be in a straight line either parallel to the top or the bottom edge of the guard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Seems to be a lot of slim taper necks in the budget line up this year. Just after I gave up and got used to fat ones (FYI fat ones are better - objective fact)
  • Wow really nothing to write home about is ther really, they couldn't even try for one totally new model?? 
  • Wow really nothing to write home about is ther really, they couldn't even try for one totally new model?? 
    Well, I think they are trying, the Firebird Zero and the Les Paul Custom Special are moving in new directions. The LP CS is one step closer to a Junior! By 2020 we might actually have one!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    I quite like the green burst LP Classic in a John Birch kind of way
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    ICBM said:

The couldn't-be-more-confusingly-named0if-they-tried "Les Paul Custom Special" looks intriguing.
    Yes. It would have been much simpler just to call it the Sonex II, then everyone would know what to expect

I like it.  If it's built better than a sonex it might be worth a look.