Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Empty 2017 Category on Gibson.com

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541

I quite like the green burst LP Classic in a John Birch kind of way
    Me too, but I have had a green epi in a similar shade since I was 16..,. And I have a JB, but that is now black
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    WezV said:

I like it. If it's built better than a sonex it might be worth a look.
    It can't possibly be as bad...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clever people those Gibson lot, look how much they have created a talking point over the new catalog. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow really nothing to write home about is ther really, they couldn't even try for one totally new model?? 
    Well, I think they are trying, the Firebird Zero and the Les Paul Custom Special are moving in new directions. The LP CS is one step closer to a Junior! By 2020 we might actually have one!

Ooh didnt notice the special that's actually quite cool and a good proce
  • Liking the return of the FB studio - might pick up a sunburst one once the prices drop.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Liking the return of the FB studio - might pick up a sunburst one once the prices drop.
    Ha ha, and that right there is Gibsons problem, you'd more likely buy a full price DFS sofa than you would a full price Gibson these days.

I really dislike the model year thing, why can't you buy the core Gibson stuff at any time and then just introduce a few oddities and interesting things each year, much like a Fender do, and why won't Gibson sell me a LP Jr.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Love the Blueberry Burst!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the Firebird T (which looks the same but with a new colour) and studio. Am I right in thinking the studio isn't a through neck? Firebird zero looks a bit odd but it's nice to see something different. 

Interesting that they've left pickguards and poker chips off the Standards. Trying to look more like PRS?! I thought the removeable pickguard was a great idea but not shipping it with one at all seems a bit cheap. And is there anything more Gibson than the poker chip? Odd.
    I've had a much closer look and at risk of being that guy who slags off Gibson, it really is a poor range of guitars if you want anything other than a humbucker equipped Les Paul. Outside of the 8 LP options, just 3 SG's, 1 Explorer and 1 Flying V, but then 3 Firebirds. Limited colours by the looks of it, and nothing with P90's.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    edited September 2016
    There is a serious price hike on the Firebirds. If I'm not mistaken the 2016 model was £899, now the 2017 studio is £1,399 and the standard £1,599!

Edit on the prices above - Andertons say that are £1,099 and £1,299, not sure where I saw the prices above!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    dindude said:
    Liking the return of the FB studio - might pick up a sunburst one once the prices drop.
    Ha ha, and that right there is Gibsons problem, you'd more likely buy a full price DFS sofa than you would a full price Gibson these days.

I really dislike the model year thing, why can't you buy the core Gibson stuff at any time and then just introduce a few oddities and interesting things each year, much like a Fender do, and why won't Gibson sell me a LP Jr.
    haha i didn't know whether to lol or wisdom that (lol for the first bit, wisdom for the second). I agree, I reckon they should do it a bit more like fender- keep the models around for a while, and keep a set of core models around pretty much all the time (obviously specs can change slightly every so often).

In fact I reckon they should do it a bit like fender does with the USA guitars- have a reissue bunch of guitars (like the fender AVRIs) that are pretty accurate to vintage (but not as obsessively-so as the custom shop), have a standard range like the USA standard/deluxe/elite Fenders (so some more modern upgrades, maybe locking tuners and coil splits for example, but nothing too crazy), and then maybe a more forward-looking range like the current HP series. the current (gibson) traditional series is a bit like the USA standard/deluxe/elite range from fender- while i like a lot of the upgrades/options, they're probably a bit too far removed from vintage (in looks even if nothing else) to satisfy the vintage fan.

some of those colours are pretty nice though- the blueberry burst and the ocean green as well. whether i'd buy one if i were after a LP is another matter, of course (I reckon I'd have to have at least one other in a more traditional colour to consider it), but on their own merits the colours are very nice.
  • There is a serious price hike on the Firebirds. If I'm not mistaken the 2016 model was £899, now the 2017 studio is £1,399 and the standard £1,599!

Edit on the prices above - Andertons say that are £1,099 and £1,299, not sure where I saw the prices above!
    I think the higher prices you saw are for the HP versions. £1100 for a studio versions seems daft to me but I'm guessing the eventual street price will be a bit lower on most of the range. But yep, that's a big hike if you buy a 2017 Standard T in sunburst, which looks to be an identical guitar to the £849 2016 version...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought this fucky-looking Firebird thing was interesting, until I saw a Phil X video last night where he was playing a Fano PX6, which is a much better executed version of the same concept. 

http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/9-18-12/16044_PX6_Pelham_Blue_53562_a.jpg

http://willcuttguitars.com/product images/012314/1213DF531614-1.jpg

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/images/product-spotlights/gibson-2017/Gibson-Firebird-Zero-Pelham2-800x280.jpg
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    That is nice @stickyfiddle !
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

edited September 2016
    The issue with a non-through neck firebird for me is that it loses any elegance that it has (and needs), without it, it looks like a Gibson neck has been glued to a coffee table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    I'm baffled - The kids have not gone back to school yet (around here anyway) - cricket season still on - Can still wear t-shirt and shorts, the central heating will not be turned on yet for a few more weeks and the 2017 collection is launched

Not even sure why we need a 2017 Gibson collection or indeed a new launch every year with regards to the whole catalogue - Okay I know why Gibson do it, but to me why not just tweak the odd model from time to time - release a few limited runs from time to time - maybe add the odd limited edition colour or tweak the electrics etc on select models for limited periods - But a whole catalogue change is stupid - Yes bring in a new model and feature it - But how many times can you re-invent another LP, SG or 335 and on the basis that they keep changing them then you are bound to get some duds amongst some potential good ones - Just my 10 penneth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I'm baffled - The kids have not gone back to school yet (around here anyway) - cricket season still on - Can still wear t-shirt and shorts, the central heating will not be turned on yet for a few more weeks and the 2017 collection is launched

Not even sure why we need a 2017 Gibson collection or indeed a new launch every year with regards to the whole catalogue - Okay I know why Gibson do it, but to me why not just tweak the odd model from time to time - release a few limited runs from time to time - maybe add the odd limited edition colour or tweak the electrics etc on select models for limited periods - But a whole catalogue change is stupid - Yes bring in a new model and feature it - But how many times can you re-invent another LP, SG or 335 and on the basis that they keep changing them then you are bound to get some duds amongst some potential good ones - Just my 10 penneth
    Agreed, but even more than that it takes core models out of the range each year, which is peculiar and potential business suicid, you wouldn't catch Fender these days having no Jaguar option for example. 

How many people look at this range and within 5 minutes go "ah nothing for me then this year", instead it should be that you wake up one morning, fancy a Les Paul Jr, and your first port of call should be Gibson.

It's a little like Ford saying for 2017 there will be 8 versions of the Focus, just 3 versions of the Fiesta, but we're not selling the Mondeo at the moment.

Anyway, the range is junk IMO and one designed for ease of manufacture rather giving people what they want, and I'll go on record as saying, if not quite the beginning of the end, it is the beginning of a major upheaval within Gibson over the next 12 months or so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited September 2016

Check out my new '17 reg Gibson tho yo.

It's got 5 more BHP than last years model.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    dindude said:

Agreed, but even more than that it takes core models out of the range each year, which is peculiar and potential business suicid, you wouldn't catch Fender these days having no Jaguar option for example. 

How many people look at this range and within 5 minutes go "ah nothing for me then this year", instead it should be that you wake up one morning, fancy a Les Paul Jr, and your first port of call should be Gibson.

It's a little like Ford saying for 2017 there will be 8 versions of the Focus, just 3 versions of the Fiesta, but we're not selling the Mondeo at the moment.
    Yeah, it's crazy. Unless I've missed something, for example, if you want a LP Junior or Special (a fairly popular model if not maybe the absolute most popular), you basically can't get that from Gibson at the moment. So if you want/need one right now (new) you basically head to Tokai or similar...