Online lessons: Jamplay, Truefire or Licklibrary?

What's Hot
So it's my birthday in September and unfortunately I don't have anyone to buy me shiny new gear but I think I can scrap some birthday cash together to sign up to an online lesson provider and it's between Jamplay or Truefire so far.

Truefire appear to have some really well put together teasers that make you want to sign up straight away but what is the actual content like?  Also, what about Jamplay?  It seems a little less "professional" but I know looks can be deceiving.  Or should I get a licklibrary membership?  I do quite like their lessons but would like something where I can just get the iPad and start learning.  

Thoughts and experiences appreciated!

Thanks as always!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27341
    I really rate the LickLibrary approach.

I have tried some of the TrueFire stuff in the past, but (a) the Americanisms really grate after a while and (b) I didn't like the interface as much.

With LL you have the choice of the hard copy DVDs too (most of which I ripped so that I could watch them on my iPad) and they have frequent BOGOFF type deals which makes building a library of DVDs quite cost effective.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    What is your general level of skill?  Truefire is just ok, I find it to be quite beginner - intermediate orientated.   
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I really like truefire, like any site some of the content is not as good as other bits, but I've found some of the country and slide stuff to be great. Also downloaded Roben Fords Jam Stuff and lessons, which I really enjoy.

Good thing is, if you sign up, you can stream alot of the content and then buy only the stuff you think is worth it. Look out for sales too, last week was 50% off membership
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    What is your general level of skill?  Truefire is just ok, I find it to be quite beginner - intermediate orientated.   
    I would say that I'm beginner to intermediate.  I know some scales and picking patterns, chords etc but would like to actually have a structured process of practice rather than playing rudimentary parts and licks. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Arktik83 said:
    I would say that I'm beginner to intermediate.  I know some scales and picking patterns, chords etc but would like to actually have a structured process of practice rather than playing rudimentary parts and licks. 
    Truefire would be perfect for you then.  Most of their courses are geared towards beginners and intermediate. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Arktik83 said:

The major thing I've learnt from following the JustinGuitar courses, is more structured practise. Both in terms of things covered, and how to practise effectively.

If you've not already seen them, check them out, as they're all free.

• fred11fred11 Frets: 66
    I'm using Texas Blues Alley at the moment. Think he's doing a very good job of the lessons -but it is of course mainly SRV stuff so depends on if that's your thing. 
  • Thanks for starting this discussion - gave me few pointers I was looking for.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    I find truefire courses a bit impenetrable to work out which ones I want to do - because the descriptions are so full of bull.... - but I did like the andy timmons ones and well presented.  good interface.  just swapped to lick library but just the online monthly - haven't done anything yet - better descriptions and less americanisms but no where near the content I don't think if you are after technique rather than songs but we'll see.
  • I've been looking at Lick Library - haven't registered/created an account yet. Am I right in saying with the Elite package you have access to everything online (all lessons, DVD content etc) then depending on what level you go for above that you start getting physical copies of DVDs and discounts on other purchases etc? £11.99 p.m. doesn't seem too bad if you can access everything and aren't worried about building a DVD library.
    Or have I missed something glaringly obvious. 
  • True fire is info overload, I'd only pay for specific courses.

I much prefer the jamplay layout, lessons, games etc. 

Licklibrary does seem pretty cool.

TBH I haven't logged onto jamplay for months despite paying for it - too busy. Actually playing :lol: 
  • Have a look at justinguitar. Its free but you can buy books and DVDs if you wish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I need to get back into this.... Especially now I have a guitar room.. but only when I have the time (!!). I know @Alnico is enjoying lick library. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I need to get back into this.... Especially now I have a guitar room.. but only when I have the time (!!). I know @Alnico is enjoying lick library. 
    I am now that I've learned to circumnavigate the clunky website.

I'll tell you all about that on WhatsApp.

;)
  • I did a trial month of TrueFire and found there to be WAY too much chaff.  There was no reliable way to get an idea of what a course's actual lessons would entail. Ultimately I decided not to renew.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I did a trial month of TrueFire and found there to be WAY too much chaff.  There was no reliable way to get an idea of what a course's actual lessons would entail. Ultimately I decided not to renew.
    I don't recognise that situation - if you were a subscriber (as the post implies) then you can see the full list of lesson titles in a course, and scroll through and dip in and take a look at anything - i *always* do this before embarking on anything. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Has anyone signed up for any of the paid lessons like the Tim Pierce Masterclass etc? If so what are your view on them, worth it or not?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    TimmyO said:
    I did a trial month of TrueFire and found there to be WAY too much chaff.  There was no reliable way to get an idea of what a course's actual lessons would entail. Ultimately I decided not to renew.
    I don't recognise that situation - if you were a subscriber (as the post implies) then you can see the full list of lesson titles in a course, and scroll through and dip in and take a look at anything - i *always* do this before embarking on anything. 
    I've been given permission by one of the teachers to capture some content from his Truefire material so I can show how it's all laid out and how the music/tab syncs with the video etc. Will grab some and post it for anyone interested. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    Never had a lesson in my life and I've been playing for over 25 years. I do tend to play the same stuff when I get round to picking up my guitar and have thought about trying some of these sites before to try to fuel some new ideas/skills as I'm really just a rhythm player. Happy though!
    I've had justinguitar in my sights for a while.