Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hands up all of you with Tinitus... I SAID -

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
Yep - came on watching World Cup on telly 2010... I thought it was my laptop fan on constantly...

Both Parents have been sufferers so don't think has been through self abuse in my case...  I did immediately notice the top end loss on my lovely Tweed Deluxe and 73 Strat - I cried...
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• Constantly for the last 26 years... but you get used to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Definite abuse on my part. It's so annoying, but it also comes and goes depending on wax build up in my ears. My left one is more affected than my right now which is shit as my right ear is worse for picking up volume. Always wear plugs at rehearsals/jams but not at gigs now as they're so rare these days for me.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    edited January 2014
    Yep, right ear here. Roughly 16-17kHz, not particularly pleasant...I traditionally stand stage left, which means I have cymbals in my right ear. Drummer in my first band was particularly vicious with the crash, and I'm pretty sure that's what caused it.
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1624

I am registered deaf (got stereo aids!) and have been for 20 years but I count myself very fortunate that I have never suffered from tinitus.

Hearing problems are almost as socially isolating as those with poor sight but we don't get the same level of help and understanding.

My personal bete noir is TV subtitles or more properly the lack of them! Even the best of them, the BBC only do  a half arsed job. Punch lines are not completed and the computer's constant mistakes would be hilarious if they weren't so sad. I feel desperately sorry for people that are profoundly deaf since much that they see must be totally incomprehensible to them!

Davd ....Err? wassat again????

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Yep me too.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I suffer from Ménière's disease and tinnitus forms a big part of that for me. Luckily at the moment it doesn't interfere too much and i can only really hear it when its quiet!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    My dad worked on airfields in the War, got his ears so blasted by the noise that he has been very hard of hearing all his life, very noisy tinnitus. Never got any compensation either. He should have failed the medical as he was born with a hole in his heart, but they chose to ignore that as they needed him.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Yep, right ear here. Roughly 16-17kHz, not particularly pleasant...I traditionally stand stage left, which means I have cymbals in my right ear. Drummer in my first band was particularly vicious with the crash, and I'm pretty sure that's what caused it.
    Fellow sufferer.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    and me. its a pain.
  • Tinnitus as well as a perforated eardrum. Always fun.
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    And me. :-<
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Like Digitalscream mine is drummer created but on my left ear (I stood stage right).

Mentally loud crash cymbals and intimate venues for a 5 piece band conspired to cause it. Even Hearos etc didn't nullify it totally, loud heavy handed bastid he was.

Mine is at the 8 to 9 KHz range.

Through illness I also have intermittent frying eggs type noise in both ears, at different times it is either background right up to full on blocking speech and other things, excruciating at times.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385

johnnyurq said:
    loud heavy handed bastid he was.
    Are there any other sorts in a rock context ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    Just a smidge. Only really noticeable in a super-quiet room. I got decent earplugs 18 months ago and I'm never gigging without them again.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Left ear constant whistle, again caused by a loud crash cymbal. Such fun....
    "You play an accordian, you go to prison - that’s the law…."  
  • I've dodged it so far but I do hear at less volume in my right ear since a stint playing in a band with the proverbial loud drummer on that side of me on the stage.  But there is hope for you sufferers, I heard about this recently and found this article.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395

I'm ok thankfully despite 30 years of gig'ing in rock bands

Always been mic'ed up, have used IEM's for last 5 years, that's helped me I think
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited January 2014
    I occasionally get it, though it's normally down to ear wax.

Yum yum.

Once cleared, it's okay, but I've just gotten over an infection that had a constant pitch ringing in my ear. Annoyingly, it was just sharp of a g.

If gigging, I'd genuinely say a quality, custom set of ear plugs is more important than having a higher quality guitar, amp or pedals. I'd rather save my hearing and sacrifice tone for a couple of months than sound awesome, but suffer life long.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
    Count me in too - it's ringing as I type this   :(
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Wow. A lot of tinitus sufferers here. I guess my death metal thrash number "Fuck the Cochlea" must have had some effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom