Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hands up all of you with Tinitus... I SAID -

What's Hot

Comments

• I've dodged it so far but I do hear at less volume in my right ear since a stint playing in a band with the proverbial loud drummer on that side of me on the stage.  But there is hope for you sufferers, I heard about this recently and found this article.
    Well now, that's interesting, given my other thread on palpitations - the vagus nerve is often responsible to heart arrhythmia and palpitations.

I'm struggling to believe that it's a coincidence that I suffer from two conditions, both of which can be linked to the vagus nerve.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

Yep.

The slogan at one of my favorite guitar shops is "We make hearing loss affordable!".  It's one of my favorite t shirts.

In my case, the original culprit was skeet shooting with my 12 guage, and not being wise enough to wear ear plugs.  I CAN'T wear them whilst hunting, thus every time I get to take a shot, my right ear rings for hours.  Amazing the difference between target shot and a 12g slug.  The latter is bloody loud, and makes the shotgun kick like an angry mule...

• MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    All the time .
    Mine sounds like white noise or pressurised air escaping from something .
    Both ears and can hear it obove most levels of sound . Caused (i think) by fire works when I was a child going off at arms length + loud music later on .
    On the plus side I think my brain filters it out but as soon as Im reminded I realize how bad my hearing is these days .
    I notice how deaf I am mostly at checkouts because the *hissing* sound in my ears mask  "S" "T" "CH" vocal sounds obove the din of a busy shop .
    Flown the nest .
  • Come again? Yes ... no, you'll have to talk louder than that. Eh? What? DON'T MUMBLE!!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    Come again? Yes ... no, you'll have to talk louder than that. Eh? What? DON'T MUMBLE!!
    Thats basically how it feels , now add a funny accent and the problem is made even worse . Plenty of those .
    Flown the nest .
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    So I was at a pub quiz and the question came up "what word means a constant buzzing or ringing in the ears?" and I turned to my team with a grin and said "marriage". The whole place erupted, there were blokes spluttering their pints and banging their hands on the tables and the question master couldn't read the next question he was crying with laughter. Best moment of my life.
    All practice and no theory
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited January 2014
    Jalapeno;137262" said:
    johnnyurq said:

loud heavy handed bastid he was.

Are there any other sorts in a rock context ?
    Fair point well made,
    :D

Although he was one that made huge noises but no power (or finesse) to it, just a racket really.

The one that came after sounded loud but not offensively so or dangerous to your lugoles.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited January 2014

One of my comments on another thread

"Be careful, mine started with a cymbal... hit by my drummer which perforated my ear drum > which led to an infection > which wouldn't clear up > which in turn led to erosion of the mastoid bone > which caused the leak (I leak cranial fluid through my nose (better known as CSF leak) )

Long term results... Major tinnitus which I undergo regular therapy at UCH in London, wear hearing aids and masking devices, take gabapentin to block the nerve pain and diazepam to stop me jumping of a cliff on the worse days of my tinnitus. oh and operations to plug the leak to prevent brain damage ...doh !

So next time your drummer says can I hit my crash cymbal really hard right next to your ear.  Hit the f...cker ....several times with his bass drum   :) "

• Have some definite damage to my ears, as loud music brings on ringing sooner than it used to - and more severely and for longer. There's some low level ringing but only noticeable with absolute silence...and living in a busy area plus being Daddy to a 2 year old, I don't get absolute silence very often! I use in-ear monitoring with noise-cancelling buds, which helps keep my onstage volume down (or at least it does from my point of view). It's not as good as ear plugs, but with my band's set up I found earplugs didn't work out as I couldn't hear myself well enough. That said, I'll never gig again without either the in-ears or the earplugs...they make a HUGE difference.

• Maxi said:
    Come again? Yes ... no, you'll have to talk louder than that. Eh? What? DON'T MUMBLE!!
    Thats basically how it feels , now add a funny accent and the problem is made even worse . Plenty of those .
    I once had a job which required me to answer the company phone. After several occasions when the caller was a foreigner on a mobile ('kin AWFUL audio you get on mobiles why do folk bother with the feckers) and the boss on the other side of the room was foghorning into his mobile ... getting sacked as a relief!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    Yup. Right ear. High pitched whine. Always there but more noticeable when I'm poorly.

Sometimes have to go to sleep with the radio on to distract me.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Constant high pitched ringing in the ears from an early age. I now think this was caused by ear infections which I used to get regularly as a child up until the age of 11. 

I'm quite used to it. Most times other noise drowns it out, but when it's quiet and still it's a constant. 

Not currently gigging regularly, but I've resolved to change all that this year, so this thread is a useful reminder. 

My only real concern is that as I near my 40's, I sometimes genuinely find it hard to hear what my kids are saying above things like traffic noise as I walk them to school. It's okay if we go a quiet way, but my nightmare is that I could end up like a lot of people with hearing problems in crowded rooms, who can't really pick out individual voices above the din. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited January 2014
    fretmeister;137449" said:
    <SNIP>

Sometimes have to go to sleep with the radio on to distract me.

+1  me too... and to stop myself thinking about possible early death from dubious aches and gripes; ex relationship woes; money owed to various government agencies; immigrants taking the piss; state of my garden; state of my face....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Interesting the mention of Menieres - as I've been advised to have the tests, as I've been a Migrane sufferer for *ever* and what with the tinnitus and the dizziness... sound familiar? 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    Pyroman said:

Yep.

The slogan at one of my favorite guitar shops is "We make hearing loss affordable!".  It's one of my favorite t shirts.

In my case, the original culprit was skeet shooting with my 12 guage, and not being wise enough to wear ear plugs.  I CAN'T wear them whilst hunting, thus every time I get to take a shot, my right ear rings for hours.  Amazing the difference between target shot and a 12g slug.  The latter is bloody loud, and makes the shotgun kick like an angry mule...

Heh! Some years ago before the kneejerking wimps banned handguns, a group of us were shooting pistols on a range and when we got back from lunch, two cheeky buggers had setup on our benches and were patterning shotguns sans deffs' . Well, you are a good two feet from the noisy bit! They jumped like frick however when we opened up in the next bay with 357 magnums and 9mm paras! Then they suggered off!

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    Yup :( Got it at an Extreme gig. The support act was pretty quiet so silly me decided I'd go pretty close to the front. Of course Extreme comes on and is about double the volume. By the time I made it to the back the damage had been done. :(

It's pretty mild and isn't the end of the world or anything, but obviously it'd be nicer not to have it, either.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    High pitched whining, all the time for me since my mid twenties...either from my daily loud practising or my motorway commutes with the roof down on my old car.... Fortunately not so bad as its only noticeable/annoying when it's quiet, ie when the kids have gone to bed!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2014
    High pitched ringing. Noticeable when it's quiet, but gets worse if I'm tired/ill (I guess I'm just noticing it more then).

I also have problems picking up conversations in noisy places (pubs, restaurants). 

Not fun really, wish I'd got decent ear plugs years ago. 
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 989
    edited January 2014
    Long term sufferer here too, though from industrial woodworking machines from about eight years through teens (my father was a freelance boatbuilder and I was his feed roller).

The whine is there whenever I think of it, but having been present from so young (approaching the Hawaii moment...), it doesn't really bother, I even pass most hearing tests!

The big effect is intelligibility in noisy environments - such as pubs.  I gather this is due to the fact that one side (left) is slightly worse than the other, as the brain filters quite well directionally, but the work is harder with different gains - I can point at the pin dropping if it's done as a solo!
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 463
    edited January 2014
    High pitched ringing. Noticeable when it's quiet, but gets worse if I'm tired/ill (I guess I'm just noticing it more then).

I also have problems picking up conversations in noisy places (pubs, restaurants). 

Not fun really, wish I'd got decent ear plugs years ago. 

This is the same for me. I can't recall what caused it but it gets more noticeable as I get older :/