Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hands up all of you with Tinitus... I SAID -

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I had it for several months after doing loads of back to back gigging with a stupidly loud band and being daft enough not to wear hearing protection. 

Luckily it eventually faded away and I have a surprising amount of top end left for someone in their 30s

I had to have one of those stupid conversations the other day complaining about a 14k whistle in some kit which they couldn't hear. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8695
    Jalapeno said:
    Yep, right ear here. Roughly 16-17kHz, 
    Fellow sufferer.
    Same here.  I've had it from birth.  At school I measured it at 16,440Hk.  That's when I found out that other people don't have it.  Over the years it hasn't got any worse, although it does go up in volume for 24 hours after a particularly loud gig.  

We played last night, and there isn't any difference this morning.  That's probably because we play through the PA, and keep the volume down.  The bar maid's comment was "that's the first time in a year I've been able to hear the audience sing along. Normally the band are trying to pin everyone to the back wall with their volume".
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I blame fighter jets for my tinnitus. If you've ever stood next to a Tornado taking off you'll know what I mean.
  • I was well into my twenties before I realised that "The Sound Of Silence" was just a song for everyone else...

And why do we have a US English spellchecker on this forum?  Talk about a buzz...
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2014
    I've always been fairly diligent when it comes to protecting my ears; onstage, practise or watching gigs. Thankfully it's paid off. Use earplugs a lot, and in-ear monitors for a few years too. 

If you find yourself forgetting earplugs for stage, try putting spares pairs inside the battery compartment of a Boss pedal (or similar, assuming they are being powered by mains). Also good for hiding spare plectrums.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I was well into my twenties before I realised that "The Sound Of Silence" was just a song for everyone else...

And why do we have a US English spellchecker on this forum?  Talk about a buzz...
    I wasn't aware we had a spell checker?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Yo!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    I've got quite a loud ringing in both ears all the time, and some loss of the high end. I now wear Peltor ear defenders all the time when I play. All my own fault really for not taking better care.
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited February 2014
    I was OK until my early 50's, but the Doc put me on steroids for a while and my hearing just went.  Probably the straw that broke the camel's back.  People keep asking me for money for cancer research, I'd willingly stump up as much if not more for a cure for tinnitus.  Quite apart from anything else, it has the same frequency and warble as the dawn chorus so I keep waking up in the middle of the night :(
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau

• And why do we have a US English spellchecker on this forum?  Talk about a buzz...
    We don't - that'll be your computer :)
    <space for hire>
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I have it, it's not too bad, I only notice tie when it's really quiet. I am fairly deaf though, and in a room full of people I struggle to make out what people are saying to me. Which is rather frustrating.

• davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    It's crowded places where I struggle too.
  • Yes - I'd nearly forgotten about it until I read this effing thread! Used to be just after gigs but last 10/15 years it's been constant - you get used to it but every now & again it drives me to destraction
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557

Seems like a common problem.

I had ear infections as a kid which dulled my hearing from an early age.

I last had a hearing check about 6 years ago (aged 46) because I was concerned at the difference in response between my ears, and they confirmed it, right ear has inferior HF response.

They didn't see any thing to get unduly worried about, they told me it was within "the range they would expect for an oldie", cheeky buggers.

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

I don't have it and don't want it. It scares me. I think I'm getting warning signs tho...periodically i'll get a high pitch ringing tone in my head (sounds like both ears) for a minute or 3 and then it fades away and is gone. Lasts longer after some of our gigs..but has always gone soon after - usually most gigs I'd say I don't get any ringing at all..just odd ones where there's not a lot of room and I'm getting it off my amp and the drummer being very close to me on some of the smaller venues we've played.

Worst of it is I always take my ear plugs..they live in my pedal board...but I just find 'em uncomfortable and rarely use them. Plan on getting some decent custom moulded ones in a couple of months when my finances are set to change for the better. Just hope they feel as comfy as I read and that they just attenuate rather than muffle the sound..cos that's what gets on my tits..my Elacin ER20s are both uncomfy and muffle the sound too much to be tolerable.

• I spent a lot of money (£'00s) on tailored sets, and didn't find they worked any better - just fitted deeper and more faff to get in and out.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • I have a smidge in both ears. Only enough that white-noise-heavy environments give me hearing trouble, and I can only significantly hear the whistle when in a very quiet room or out in the middle of nowhere. I don't want it getting worse though- I take my ACS customs everywhere I might get exposure.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited February 2014
    Skarloey said:

... my nightmare is that I could end up like a lot of people with hearing problems in crowded rooms, who can't really pick out individual voices above the din. 
    I get that. Had it for years. Didn't realise it was tinnitus related. Might have to get my ears tested then.

Hmm, more good news on top of a day of good news.
    :-S
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    whats this people are mentioning it being related to ear wax ?? That sounds odd?