follow on from TINNITUS thread - the which earplugs thread

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I tried to get moulds made in Boots on Saturday, was refused because my right ear had too much wax in it :( 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    How much wax was it? I think my ears are pretty clean, and I'm having moulds taken tomorrow. What did they advise to make sure they are OK? Is a quick wipe with a cotton bud OK?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    mrkb said:
     Is a quick wipe with a cotton bud OK?
    No-one would advice you that's ok, well not in the inner ear at least ;-)

IIRC from when I had mine done it's hardened wax deep in the ear that's the issue. If they see that when they look in your ear before taking the impressions they won't do it. In that case best bet is get down the chemists and get some wax softener and use that for a few days to shift it. 

Docs don't seem to want to syringe ears these days, but you could ask your GP if they can as that'd be a quick solution to cleaning them out.

I do suffer from wax build up and I was borderline when ACS took my impressions, but it was ok in the end.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Si_ said:
    I tried to get moulds made in Boots on Saturday, was refused because my right ear had too much wax in it :( 
    @Si_ As you were in Boots you could have bouight something to get rid of the wax!
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Yea, I did that, but they won't re-schedule an appointment for another -2 3 weeks to give it time to clear. 

As it happens I didn't go back. 
    My ears passed the test, picking up the finished earplugs in a week. Went to the Banbury offices and they were great to deal with.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    My ears passed the test, picking up the finished earplugs in a week. Went to the Banbury offices and they were great to deal with.

Wave at me as you're passing by (I work on the same industrial estate as ACS in Banbury, opposite the Vauxhall garage.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    eh?  say again...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I feel like they fuck my ears and although there's no ringing after playing there's some pain and discomfort. Do I just need to get used to them or should I get rid of them and wait 'till I can afford the moulded ones?

Did anybody experience any discomfort when you first started using ear-plugs?
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    edited June 2014
    I got mine last week... really, really good. Wish I'd bought them years ago... wouldn't be so deaf now. :(
    I didn't have very much wax in my ears but just enough to cause them some concern. I did the oil thing for a week and then had my ears syringed. All a bit of a pain but having got the pros, it was well worth the effort. I've found they help my singing - which needs serious help - by allowing me to hear my own voice much more clearly. Loving them so far and no problems putting them in or taking them out either... just as long as I remember to twist backwards, and not forwards (anti-clockwise in the right ear, clockwise in the left... if that makes sense?)
    Catthan,
    I found the pacato's OK, only had trouble getting one out when I forgot to leave white tab in an accessible area. They are soft silicone, so adapt to my ears OK.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • John_BlackWolfJohn_BlackWolf Frets: 137
    edited June 2014
    Si_ said:

Same thing happened to me, It's very frustrating. I was told I had 'hard' wax that would be pushed back to the ear drum if they made the impression. I purchased the ear-drops and was rescheduled for a week later. Whilst using the ear-drops and making a plunging effect with my finger in my ear I did have a big clump of wax come out.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    @mrkb,
    did you experience any sort of discomfort when you first started using them?
    @catthan
    No discomfort, but I was used to in ear buds from using shure earbud headphones, which use expanded foam plugs.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Picked up my order yesterday and a quick trial shows they work well, not muffled at all, good clarity and your own voice doesn't boom through your head. @not_the_dj where do you work ALDI?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Picked up my order yesterday and a quick trial shows they work well, not muffled at all, good clarity and your own voice doesn't boom through your head. @not_the_dj where do you work ALDI?

That rather beautiful looking 70s style office next door to Aldi.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    ACS Pro 17s £140 best money I ever spent. Fantastic clarity with no ringing and you can still hold a conversation. My only concern is that I will lose one or both...... Everyone on this forum should buy them because once you have tinnitus, trust me it doesn't go away.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited November 2014
    bob21 said:
    ACS Pro 17. Wear them literally everyday, not once been dissatisfied with the investment. 
    Buy them through Boots, register for their hearingcare club, get 15% off. ACS are great to deal with too!

Question!! I've ordered mine already but not paid. How do I get the discount when they arrive at the store in the audiologists hands?
    I'm registering now... but not sure how that means I'll get my discount for earplugs that are already on order but have not been paid for..