Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Today I have mostly been listening to shite I am supposed to play with a coverband that I am trying to get off the ground with a bunch of idiots that want to play shite
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Today I have mostly been listening to shite I am supposed to play with a coverband that I am trying to get off the ground with a bunch of idiots that want to play shite
    I know someone who plays in just such a band.

They redefine 'dreadful' based on their YouTube vids.

He frequently sends me invitations to their gigs via Facebook - frankly I'd rather have third-degree burns....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't mind playing the usual dross like Brown Eyed Girl, but who the fuck wants to hear two songs from Fleetwood Macs' Rumours?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • New Warpaint. Oh it's good. Production is spectacular. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    I don't mind playing the usual dross like Brown Eyed Girl, but who the fuck wants to hear two songs from Fleetwood Macs' Rumours?
    Mustang Sally?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I've always thought it must be difficult being in a cover band. There's stuff you want to play and the stuff folk want to hear... two different things I guess. We had this conversation when booking a band for our wedding, you need to cater to the audience I guess.

I'm years away from being gigging standard. If I ever do actually want to pursue that.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I don't mind playing the usual dross like Brown Eyed Girl, but who the fuck wants to hear two songs from Fleetwood Macs' Rumours?
    Mustang Sally?
    Not yet. Funnily enough, the vocalist read out her proposed list on Sunday and there are a few songs I'm not sure I've heard others do. I can't remember what was on it,but was pleasantly surprised. Maybe we are learning the shitey stuff first to test commitment of the members
    Good luck @pintspiller. But give it a good hard think and if you're not going to love it, maybe you should dump them and work to doing what you love. It will be worth the effort and frustartion in the end... but if you don't hold out for the good stuff, you might never get it and you can end up having to wallow around in the shite stuff forever. :)
  • I'm happy to wallow to be honest. I am knocking-50, so know there's little chance of playing out original material and don't mind effing about with people looking to do covers of stuff I do and don't like.
    Age is no barrier... :)
  • It is when the only people around here looking to do original music are 15
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camf said:
    Oh nice. I thought you were joking to start with and then they actually got into it and it's fucking brilliant! Ha. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    Philly_Q said:
    Mustang Sally?
    Not yet. Funnily enough, the vocalist read out her proposed list on Sunday and there are a few songs I'm not sure I've heard others do. I can't remember what was on it,but was pleasantly surprised. Maybe we are learning the shitey stuff first to test commitment of the members

Oh well, be grateful for small mercies I guess.

The cover band thing is interesting.  I'm really not a good enough player to gig but if I ever get my act together it will inevitably be to play covers (I'm 52 now, pop stardom is unlikely to come beckoning... and I have never written a song in my life).  There must be an element of giving people what they want to hear (unless you play purely for your own enjoyment) and I guess I could live with playing some songs I don't actually like.  Playing something is different from listening to it, anyway.

But I'd draw the line at Mustang Sally.  And Brown Eyed Girl.

• There's a lot of audiences that find Mustang Sally or Brown Eyed Girl slightly naff. I think if you are doing the wedding circuit playing to people whose major experience of live music is going to weddings then the more contrived the better. But if you are playing pubs where the punters regularly see bands they want something they can recognise but don't necessarily want the cliches.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30881
    I have spent all day listening to my extensive collection of Neil Finn/Crowded House bootlegs for the first time in about 2 years.

I am still not bored after 8 hours.

Absolutely incredible songwriting, musicianship and performances.

Just a bloody genius and my favourite songwriter of all time.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Renegades by RATM.  I think it is the only covers album I own, so calling it the best covers album I own doesn't do it much justice.

Absolutely love the bass guitar in this.

• Abbey Road and Band on the Run - very enjoyable. I've always found Macca's later work a bit lacking but revisiting BOTR has been a good thing. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Airbourne's new album.

They're rip off artists and they're masters of cheese-laced lyrics.

It's never too loud for me
    When I drink, I go crazy
    Do me like you do yourself...
    Blow me apart like a bombshell

Really guys? 

From a musical point of view... I've identified, as a bare minimum the following direct rips!

"Cochise" by Audioslave's main riff in Rivalry

And at various stages in the album the following AC/DC riffs...

Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
    Given the Dog a Bone
    It's a Long Way to the Top...

But I still enjoy the album. :) 8/10
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Prompted by watching Roadies there has been Reignwolf,  Fleetwood  Mac,  Led Zeppelin and this. I kinda knew it existed but I don't think I'd ever heard it. Some lovely (sic) guitar work probably deeply self indulgent but there you go... 

What a record this is Eric - love it.....especially Maggot Brian itself. I don't go for self indulgent noodling - but in this instance I think Eddie Hazel's guitar playing is emotive, moving and expressive....