Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013

The latest in the Bob Dylan Bootleg series. Volume 10, Another Self Portrait. So that weird half arsed country phase he went through after the motorcycle crash.

I'm through disc 1 and just starting on disc 2. There's a lovelly piano/violin version of "If not for you", that's a highlight so far...but I need to sink my teeth into the rest.

However I do have "all the tired horses in the sun..." as an earworm today...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433

I have mainly been listening to the recording of the BBQ Party.

Which'll mean nothing to most of you ... :D .... it was a low-tech recording of my first public performance in a long, long, long time, last weekend!

Every time I listen, I hear more "opportunities for improvement"

https://soundcloud.com/tuneyv/bbq-junior

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    edited September 2013

I think I'm having a 60's moment.

Francoise Hardy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoFcsaYy_Tg

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Metallica's Enter the sandman ... smooth jazz version ... :-) .. genius

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Dusty Springfield this morning after watching the BBC stuff last night.

All the early REM albums this evening after buying the lot at £1 a go at a charity sale this afternoon! Mostly had my original copies on tape, long since gone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    ^^^nice find, EVERYTHING pre "out of time" is genius (everything post this is pachier but still plenty of awesome in there)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    Metallica's Enter the sandman ... smooth jazz version ... :-) .. genius

That's Live Earth. One of those bobbing heads was mine :D
  • @fretwired the reggae megadeth thing is good too :)

BTW your sig. is a bit harsh about German wines
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Sporky said:
    The new Rosetta album. I didn't even know there was one.

Holy Shit. Have a Wisdom on me SporkyOne, I don't even know what genre of music THAT IS  ^#(^
    ..but I likes it :D

• SporkySporky Frets: 28016
    I think they're post-metal. Wake/Lift was pretty good too; A Determinism Of Morality was fantastic.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    edited September 2013
    dindude said:
    ^^^nice find, EVERYTHING pre "out of time" is genius (everything post this is pachier but still plenty of awesome in there)
    It was nice to find them all in one go - although unfortunately no Document, even though I went through the rack three times! There were quite a few of the later ones too but I've got all those already. I suppose I should just buy Document 'properly' now and be done with it :).

I did at least come across The User's Guide To They Might Be Giants and a few other albums I wanted as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    I've been listening to a 70s prog-rock band called Patto, after reading about their guitarist Peter "Ollie" Halsall in Guitar Techniques. It's the first I'd heard of him or them, but Halsall is frankly astonishing.

Probably the first guy to "shred" in the context of a rock band - although instead of alternate-picked harmonic minor licks or whatever else, he was doing wild four-finger hammer-on runs, often using lots of chromaticism. Brilliant rhythm player too, and by the time this track was recorded in 1971 he'd only been playing for four years or so. Unbelievable.

Solo is at around 1:40. 

The one at 2:20 here is a lot weirder - changes key a lot, quite dissonant and often really, really fucking fast.

Almost no-one seems to know who he is, but he's been stated as an influence by Allan Holdsworth, Alvin Lee and Rick Nielsen...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Now listening to Pat Metheny.

The album "Secret Story" to be precise... it's a bit shit. Basically just second-rate elevator music with guitar solos.

The solos are magnificent though, he's one hell of a player. That is beyond argument.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    Chilly Gonzales, the musical genius.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8689

The Aristocrats arrived on Friday:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Currently listening to recordings of the two gigs I played at the weekend, neither of which was with my regular line-up.

First one was me on guitar, second was me on bass.

Odd thing is, Friday's gig felt OK on the night and Saturday's felt like an absolute car-crash that left us all very downbeat until we pulled it back in the third set (yes, THIRD set...goshdarnit making us WORK for our money...)...yet it is Saturday's gig that actually stands up better.

Isn't it odd how your own perception of the night can cloud your judgement?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    "The Gathering" by Testament.

Underrated album of theirs from 1999 - the line-up for this album was essentially a supergroup consisting of Testament founder members Chuck Billy and Eric Peterson, plus James Murphy (Death) on lead guitar, Steve DiGiorgio (Death, Sadus) on bass and Dave Lombardo (Slayer) on drums. It is a brilliant album, probably my favourite by Testament. It's a lot heavier than their early stuff, with a lot more death metal in the sound.

Dave puts in a cracking performance in particular... I'm starting to think he was wasted on Slayer, actually. He's epic.
  • The 1975.

New album out this week after a load of EPs. I'm sure I'm too old and my hair cut isn't cool enough, but I like them, but they've got some great molodies and some nice electronica style wibbles and shimmers.

However the track that got me into them was a stripped down slow version of The City that they performed on radio 1's live lounge, I much prefer that to the album version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fblJ3zY0xg

• Roland said:

The Aristocrats arrived on Friday:

I watched a couple of clips of them on YouTube yesterday - taken from the DVD that comes with the new studio album, I believe - it's the kind of stuff that makes us mere mortals hang up our guitars and take up gardening instead, isn't it? Astonishing stuff.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875