Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Yesterday was My Morning Jacket, John Mayer's Try!, Rage Against the Machine (After 20+yrs - yes 20 ! - it's still a very angry record, superb riffing though), and whatever Funk" on Spotify throws up.

Today more Funk to start the day I think
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    George Michael and Carl Orff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ^ That from his new duets album...?

^ That from his new duets album...?
    Yes, it's the hidden track.

Version with lyrics...

It's a bit hard to hear him in there though, what with the 150-odd other singers belting it out.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited September 2013
    I'm very much enjoying the Jessie Ware album at the moment.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited September 2013
    Can I tempt you with The Headboys?

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Heavy QOTSA. Head banging a go-go...

• Physical Graffiti

LOUD!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Gov't Mule's New stuff. Me likee.

Also: Manic Street Preachers - Journal for Plague Lovers 

^i really like that Manics album, v. Good.

I need to try some Gov't Mule, what is a good place to start?
    Yazoo.

Amazingly fresh-sounding even today. You only get a sense of how old it all is when you hear a song called "Goodbye 70s" and realise that when they wrote it, the 80s was the bright shiny future that hadn't happened yet...

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    Frank Marino with Mahogany Rush, their third album "Strange Universe". Awesome.

Never even checked out any of Frank's stuff before despite hearing him mentioned as an influence on Zakk Wylde etc (don't be put off by that)... he is one fucking hell of a guitarist. Like Hendrix but supercharged. Good voice and tunes too.

Tracks like "Dear Music" and "Moonlight Lady" sound a little like Hendrix crossed with Grand Funk Railroad, never a bad thing.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Today I have mostly been listening to Tubeway Army!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:

@dindude Sorry for the delayed reaction

To be honest, there ain't a lot to separate the albums from each other, with one notable exception to avoid - dub remix album Mighty High, which is definitely NOT for the newcomer (nor most of the die-hards, if Amazon reviews are anything to go by!)

Mule have a new album out in about a week or so, but previous effort By A Thread has a good mix of representative styles and is as good a place to start as any.

dogload said:
    Have a Wisdom for that :). Probably trumps my Yazoo for not sounding dated and being massively influential to this day.

• dogload said:
    Most excellent have a wisdom.

The early stuff with loads of LP tonez peppered through it was particularly good. Big fan of most of TA and Gary Numan's stuff to date.
    dindude said:

@dindude Sorry for the delayed reaction

To be honest, there ain't a lot to separate the albums from each other, with one notable exception to avoid - dub remix album Mighty High, which is definitely NOT for the newcomer (nor most of the die-hards, if Amazon reviews are anything to go by!)

Mule have a new album out in about a week or so, but previous effort By A Thread has a good mix of representative styles and is as good a place to start as any.

@RocknRollDave, thanks for that will take a look (listen)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    Carcass's latest, Surgical Steel.

It's great - it sounds exactly like classic Carcass, somewhere between 1991's Necroticism and 1993's Heartwork musically, with more up-to-date production (choosing my words carefully, it sounds modern and well-produced without being mechanical and soulless). You could pick on them for having made little progression musically, but that would be missing the point - AFAIK they didn't want to be influenced by anything that's happened in metal since their last album in 1996, they just wanted to make an album that sounds like what we would expect from Carcass based on their old stuff. They've done it. And Bill Steer is playing better than ever.

At the end of the day, it sounds like Carcass, and that's never going to be a bad thing.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."