Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Enjoy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not a guitar in sight, but rather enjoying the unashamedly 80's influenced synth-pop of the Chvrches album released yesterday. Here's the hooky single as a taster
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    A few tracks off letlive.'s latest album, it's pretty damn good.

"White America's Beautiful Black Market" has been stuck in my head, so I have genuinely been listening to it most of the day :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72251
    Louis Jordan

Amazing - I'd never realised how important he was to the history of rock'n'roll. Clearly a big and direct influence on the early rockers - there are a couple of songs you could almost mistake for Bill Haley and Little Richard, but this is all from the late 40s and very early 50s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Zervas and pepper "life bringer" .

Cosmic folk??

No prizes for guessing where their influences come from, but beautiful non the less.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited September 2013
    Been revisiting these - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band!!!
    Brilliant frontman and Band!, Zal Cleminson had great tone/riffs
    imageimage

:D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Beats.

(No, that isn't a typo ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Beats.

(No, that isn't a typo ;).)
    Any good @ICBM ?

I quite like some of the dancier elements in TB III (he was living in Ibiza at the time I believe) but I've not heard the 'beats' take on it. 
    Pretty good, although probably not that different to what you've already heard. It's quite similar to a lot of the stuff on Tr3s Lunas - done in collaboration with York. It's a compilation of chillout and soft trance reworkings of some of his older material, going right back to Tubular Bells and Ommadawn. You'd probably like it if you're not instinctively offended by that sort of thing :).

• Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

What a fantastic album - this was where they really peaked I believe, such great guitar/bass work, cool drum beats and interesting rapping. It doesn't get better than this!
  • @Doug

Always good to hear some SAHB.

Fish from Marillion did a cracking cover of Boston Tea Party on Yin & Yang and live too. IIRC he has performed it with a few SAHB members live too.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172

johnnyurq said:
    @Doug

Always good to hear some SAHB.

Fish from Marillion did a cracking cover of Boston Tea Party on Yin & Yang and live too. IIRC he has performed it with a few SAHB members live too.

Sure is!, Fantastic band! an always Big grins
    :D I'll lookup the Fish/SAHB stuff, Cheers.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2013
    Honestly, today I've listened to quite a bit of Yngwie Malmsteen and I think my attitude towards his music is warming somewhat.

Yes he comes off as a bit of a bellend (less so now than he used to), and he seems incapable of improvising without recourse to shredding at a million miles an hour, but the technique is astonishing (you knew that though)... also, no matter how much you can't stand his music, you can't even think about trying to deny that his vibrato and tone are stunning.

As Guthrie Govan put it:

"I can also mention that seeing Yngwie Malmsteen made a real impact on me. He wasn’t this academic looking guy just standing there with his music stand. He was going crazy, running around the place, and throwing his Strat while playing a million notes per second. And when he stopped and played just one note, it sounded like a violin or an opera singer. Yngwie has an incomparable vibrato, which his detractors choose to ignore."

That's something you have to keep in mind - unlike many, many other shredders, every note Yngwie plays (no matter how short it is and how quickly he burns onto the next one) sounds like he means it. There's actual passion there, it's expressive.

So yeah, I think I like Yngwie Malmsteen... weird.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Blur.

It started when I needed to learn Song 2 (it really is as easy as it sounds, it still amazes me that no-one came up with that riff before 1997) but I just left iTunes on after that and listened to a whole lot more. A very creative band, far more so than the 'Britpop' label would lead you to believe.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:
    Blur.

It started when I needed to learn Song 2 (it really is as easy as it sounds, it still amazes me that no-one came up with that riff before 1997) but I just left iTunes on after that and listened to a whole lot more. A very creative band, far more so than the 'Britpop' label would lead you to believe.
    They made a few songs which I'd go as far as calling "novelty" songs, and, typical of these things, turned out to be among their most famous hits. Shame cos whilst I'm no fan of the band, the likes of Coffee and TV, Beetlebum and Out Of Time are corkers in my book.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Today my playlist has been Music In A Doll's House by Family, and (coincidentally) Goat, Live in Williamsburg 2013-04-23.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Just bought the new Agnes Obel CD.  Yes, "CD".

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I have just finished watching/listening to the Camel Pressure Points DVD. Andy Latimer knows how to get a beautiful sound out of a Lester.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Pearl Jam's new song 'Mind your manners'. New album due out so looking forward to that!