Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited June 2016
    I listened to that once right through and loved it. So different (for me) compared to the other metal and rock I listen to. Bought the cd and have only got about 5 tracks into it twice. It's quite hard work, but I need to give it a proper second listen. Today's choice for me was Kyuss "Blues for the Red Sun". Not heard it for a few years. Forgot how absolutely superb it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited June 2016
    Spotify threw this at me on Discover Weekly

http://cloudkickermusic.com/album/beacons

Really enjoying his other stuff as well
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Philly_Q said:

Have you heard the singer/guitarist's other band - Pink Mountain? Thats a bit stoner/garage rock...... btw this band put a lot of their own time and money into their homeless hostel they started.....

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Building some new playlist(s) at the moment in iTunes. A bit of '00s nostalgia - early Linkin Park, and some of the songs from Blink 182 that got a lot of airplay (Feelin' This, I Miss You etc). And some older stuff too - Cliff Richard's "Devil Woman" for example. 

Also been loving The Casanovas' most recent album, Tera Casanova. Very good stuff. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    Spotify threw this at me on Discover Weekly

http://cloudkickermusic.com/album/beacons

Really enjoying his other stuff as well
    I do like a bit of Cloudkicker - Fade is probably my favourite album over all but it's pretty much all good.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Rap floof with added puppetry.  What's not to like?

For something a bit different this morning on the way to work I had thrown together a playlist that included: RATT, Valentine, XYZ, Firehouse, Michael Sweet (of Stryper), and Unruly Child.

That's the kind of stuff my parents listened to all the time when I was a kid. Heh. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    A mate recommended Joanne Shaw Taylor - really liking her stuff. :) Worth a look.

Finally listened to the latest Chili Peppers album this week too. Up to track 7 was ok, the remaining 6 were very poor I thought. Bland, quiet... absolutely nothing going on. I never do this on a first listen, but I skipped every track from 8 onwards (practically half the album) after a minute or so and eventually ran out of tracks. Glad I didn't buy it.

Also, the latest Clapton album... good in places, but overall quite so-so in my view.

Andy

• grooviegroovie Frets: 15
    Steven Wilson's remix of Spectral Mornings. I like it, things are a little 'clearer' and sharper. The opening track has an extra 10 seconds of guitar goodness at the end, an unexpected surprise. I love the record anyway.
    Gentle Giant's Octopus album, I didn't know what to expect but it's really, really good, and doesn't sound dated at all (1972). The playing is really tight, the arrangements and instrumentation are top notch. If prog is your bag and you aren't familiar with this, I would recommend checking it out.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Modest Mouse doc.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    andyp said:
    Finally listened to the latest Chili Peppers album this week too. Up to track 7 was ok, the remaining 6 were very poor I thought. Bland, quiet... absolutely nothing going on. I never do this on a first listen, but I skipped every track from 8 onwards (practically half the album) after a minute or so and eventually ran out of tracks. Glad I didn't buy it.

I find with those sort of albums it can be good to shuffle the tracks - the boring songs are more tolerable when there's a possibility of something good coming up next.  Some even them even turn out to be OK when heard in a slightly different context.
  • The first digitally recorded album on a major label. VERY underrated guitarist. No googling.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just been listening to;

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    edited July 2016
    Now I've got into the habit of listening to music with my morning coffee it's hard to stop :)

Fortunately I've got lots of music downloaded from Amazon so I don't have to start the CDs again from the beginning, but having said that I'm kicking off with a recent CD purchase, Sharon Van Etten's Are We There, because I only had time to hear it once (there are few recent CD buys that also need a bit more time).

Next up another run through of A Moon Shaped Pool, then I'll have to find something a little more jolly as neither of them are the most cheerful of albums ;)

I found one I haven't listened to for ages - Nerina Pallot - Fires, which I bought around the time it was released (2005) and haven't listened to since.

Followed by Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431

A playlist consisting of Megadeth (Dystopia), Periphery (Juggernaught Alpha/Omega), P.O.D (Satellite), Sixx AM (Prayers for the Damned Vol 1) and Linkin Park (Living Things).

Megadeth - awesome
    Periphery - mostly good...
    P.O.D. - as per Periphery
    Sixx A.M. - as above...
    Linkin Park - poop. Their first 2 albums are still the best. :) 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    edited July 2016
    Kicked off with another downloaded album I've not heard in years:

Karine Polwart - This Earthly Spell

Acoustic singer/songwriter stuff - released in 2008, it's her fourth album. I've also got the album before, Fairest Floo'er.

A break from work and I'm now reminding myself of The Undertones - Positive Touch

One thing I've discovered that I never knew is that It's Going To Happen! is one of very few Undertones songs about The Troubles, specifically about the 1981 hunger strikes by Republican prisoners.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    I've been going through a USB stick of all my CDs in the car, in alphabetical order.

Today therefore began with some Miranda Sex Garden, but I find a whole CD a lot to deal with from them.

Then some Miroist.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I've been listening to a lot of this lately... 

'Multi-Love' by Unknown Mortal Orchestra

been really into my Lo-Fi Psychedelia lately, this album has a lot of that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom