I didn't know that Tim Pierce played the metal guitar part on Michael Jackson's Black or White

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
from Tim's YouTube:

" A number of years ago I got to play a guitar part on the song "Black or White" and spend a fine afternoon with Michael Jackson.

I had just finished an amazing record with Pat Leonard's "Toy Matinee"-produced by Bill Bottrell.
A few months later Bill was in the studio recording, producing and co- writing the song "Black or White" with Michael Jackson.
Among his other talents, Bill is a great guitar player- he played the signature part in the intro.
Bill brought me in to play a heavy metal guitar part in the bridge, at the request of Micheal, he was a fan of some of the big metal bands of that era..
Michael was a pleasure to work with, very easy to talk to, and look straight in the eye...
I was fully credited, and indeed when I checked Wikipedia, my credit still stands as "heavy metal guitar"
Here's a free video where I teach Bill's signature guitar part and my bridge guitar part...
I added  a solo that I certainly would've played if they had given me the opportunity :)
For the full story of that day, the rhythm lesson, the solo lesson, the jam track, and the tabs, click the link and take the 14 day free trial for the master class.

Happy new year!!! "

My Part On Black or White ~ Guitar Lesson ~ How to Play ~ Tim Pierce

Duration 15:40

Published on Dec 29, 2016

Click this link to get access to free extra videos and the masterclass! https://timpierceguitar.com/videos/

https://timpierceguitar.com/guitar-ac...

https://timpierceguitar.com

https://www.facebook.com/timpierceguitar

https://www.instagram.com/timpiercegu...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Michael Jackson - Black or White (Official Video)

Duration 11:01

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This guy is just so nice, I don't really LEARN much from these video lessons - but I feel like if I were to take a 1-to-1 with actual tailored structure my mind would be totally blown.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    This guy is just so nice, I don't really LEARN much from these video lessons - but I feel like if I were to take a 1-to-1 with actual tailored structure my mind would be totally blown.
    Yeah he mostly just teaches his solos note for note with the occasional insight on notes choice.  I think there's a deeper well of value to be had from his brain, we're just not seeing the style of lesson for that as yet.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2876
    Cool guy. Great player. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    mixolyd said:

I think there's a deeper well of value to be had from his brain, we're just not seeing the style of lesson for that as yet.

I absolutely agree, and I really hope Tim addresses that part of the market in the future.  More advanced stuff will bridge the gap between what he is currently doing and the pro insights (and amazing playing) shared in the Tim and Pete's Guitar Show.

• Only watched the intro but bloody great!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    He is really generous with his time and knowledge. | get the impression he is a really nice guy. Completely underplays his own considerable talent. He's a great player
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Wouldn't mind having that little home studio.
    Looks like a lot of fun.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Yet the part in the track is hardly audible ! ...Tims a great guy though, some great videos on his site.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2017
    He also played fills on Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over".

I've been a big fan of Tim Pierce for a long time primarily based on his guitar work on the bubble gum rock Rick Springfield albums where he played short, snappy, memorable and melodic perfect-for-the-song solos.

People should also check out the relatively unknown Toy Matinee album - good songs and playing by TP and it features Pink Floyd bassist, Guy Pratt. Great AOR stuff.

I agree - Tim Pierce does seem like a really nice chap and generous with his time.

I remember reading somewhere that you can get him to play on your demos for about a couple of hundred dollars.

For a complete listing of all his work, click here www.allmusic.com

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    if you think of a song with a guitar part played by a non band member from the last 25 years there's a pretty good chance it was Tim PIerce, in fact i just assume everything was him now until i know different :)

he's so musical it's ridiculous, i would LOVE to be able to play like him

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited January 2017
    Love this. And I love even better the Sound City 50 Plus in the background. Must be a cool guy - not just using booteek amps.
    edited January 2017
    MtB said:
    Love this. And I love even better the Sound City 50 Plus in the background. Must be a cool guy - not just using booteek amps.
    Not to mention what I think is a Nobels ODR-1 pedal sitting to the side of him - £59 new!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    Kebabkid said:
    MtB said:
    Not to mention what I think is a Nobels ODR-1 pedal sitting to the side of him - £59 new!
    When it's good it's good. 
    shaunm said:
    Kebabkid said:
    MtB said:
    When it's good it's good. 
    Absolutely ;)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Kebabkid said:
    MtB said:
    Yep, it's a Nobels. He demo it in one of the other videos that he does. I've subscribed to one of his Web channels - there's a lot more content via that route. 

I too was introduced to Tim Pierce via Rick Springfield, in particular the lead break on Living in Oz, I still can't play it some 30 years later.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    blueskunk said:
    Cool guy. Great player. 

In a nutshell...nail on squarely on the head.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31487
    Kebabkid said:
    MtB said:
    That was the Nashville session player's overdrive pedal of choice for years, maybe it still it. 

It was a revelation to me when I got one for my Princeton, you really can just dial in your clean sound then add dirt. 
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    The list of albums he's played on is pretty impressive: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/tim-pierce-mn0000593316/credits
  • Lev said:
    The list of albums he's played on is pretty impressive: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/tim-pierce-mn0000593316/credits
    Holy shit! That list is insane. Deeply, deeply impressive. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!