On-Ear Headphones

What's Hot
Okay, I've had enough of in-ear headphones for my morning/evening commute to and from work as my music is interspersed with the sounds of my footsteps, and the fucking things keep getting tangled up. Seriously, I put the buggers in my coat pocket and I could pull them out five minutes later and you'd need a boy scout to untie them.

So I need a good pair of on-ear headphones for walking. No more than...say £60. Must have remote for volume/previous track/next track, good build, not TOO big and of course a good sound helps as well. I'm a fussy cunt so aesthetics may play a part in it as well.

I had a look at the AKG K50 and they're probably the favourite so far (although I haven't looked deep enough tbh). Any other suggestions? I've never really owned a pair of on-ear headphones before so need advising.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Sorry I meant Y50, not K50...d'oh! Those look like relics haha.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4227
    Outdated now, but I have a pair of AKG K450 that I bought years ago for about £40 and they're excellent, use them every day.  Soundstage isn't as wide as a good pair of open-backs (I use some Grados at home) but then that'd be no use for your commute.  They isolate very well too.

The ones you're looking at look like a refined, updated pair of the same model which is no bad thing.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If u are the type that cannot get along with cables, maybe consider some wireless ones? Can't recommend any as I don't use em. 
  • I really like mine:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/2d52765b7d84656c/index.html

Picked them up for £50 at The Guitar Show last year.
    <space for hire>
    randella said:
    Outdated now, but I have a pair of AKG K450 that I bought years ago for about £40 and they're excellent, use them every day.  Soundstage isn't as wide as a good pair of open-backs (I use some Grados at home) but then that'd be no use for your commute.  They isolate very well too.

The ones you're looking at look like a refined, updated pair of the same model which is no bad thing.
    Looks like the K451s are the latest model. Me likes!
    Dopesick said:
    randella said:

So it is, nice find!  They seem to review well too...

http://www.whathifi.com/akg/k451/review
  • BodBod Frets: 1321
    The AKG Y50s are an excellent set of headphones.  I initially bought the wired version, and went for the bluetooth version just before Christmas for £80 in the Amazon sale.  Both are excellent headphones and the best purchases I've made in a long time.
  • I've got some AKG Y55 that I really like. 

They've survived 14 months of commuting thus far. 
  • I realise new headphones are fun, but why not learn to tie cables properly instead?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24573
    Dopesick said:
    randella said:

I have them.

i really like them. I would buy again if I lost them.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    I realise new headphones are fun, but why not learn to tie cables properly instead?
    Or take a boy scout with you?
    I realise new headphones are fun, but why not learn to tie cables properly instead?
    Because I'm a lazy prick? They always come undone in the coat pocket anyway, it's too much hassle especially if I'm in a rush or whatever. At least with the on-ear headphones you can just wrap them up around the phones themselves.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    edited February 2017
    I have a pair of Lindy BNX-60 over ear which I like very much, especially the noise cancelling feature.

http://www.whathifi.com/lindy/bnx-60/review ; Linky no worky, lets try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-BNX-60-Bluetooth-Cancelling-Headphones-x/dp/B01AAGIKCI  
  • Get yourself a pair of B and O H3's the case they come with ensures that there is no tangles. 
    Get yourself a pair of B and O H3's the case they come with ensures that there is no tangles. 
    Suspect they may be a bit north of the OP's intended spend of 60 notes though ;)
    edited February 2017
    Yep I think I'm gonna take the plunge for the K451s. Get awesome reviews, they look good, don't have to turn up the sounds like other cans and they're affordable. Job done!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    I had some K451s and hated them - really awful honky sound, very little isolation and not comfy. I appear to be alone in this though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited February 2017
    Sporky said:
    I had some K451s and hated them - really awful honky sound, very little isolation and not comfy. I appear to be alone in this though.
    @Sporky - on his one-man witch-hunt against popular headphones and company cars again
  • Grado labs come very highly recommended, though they are open back.