Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Big Muff Effects Pedal for the Electric Guitar for under £100...?

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
edited February 2017 in FX
I've just flipped my Tone Wicker in favour of the fabled DOD Carcosa, which I'm just getting used to, but already I feel like I'm missing the Muff. I think that's probably the fuzz tone for me, especially as I was brought up on Smashing Pumpkins and Mudhoney...

I'll probably hang on to the Carcosa for a good while yet as it seems like it's full of tonez, but eventually i think I'll come back to a Big Muff. Muff is where the heart is.

So, putting aside EHX offerings, what are the best Muff clones or iterations I should be aware of? Bearing in mind that in all probability I'd be trading/flipping the Carcosa to get it, it should be under £100.

n.b: My first was a PI (ace), my second was a Nano (cack) and my third was a Tone Wicker (best so far)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Vivastreet. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vivastreet. 
    +1

Prefer Adultwork though
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wut. Children!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Either the ICBM 78 or Green Russian by @timhulio ;
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Swollen Pickle/Russian Pickle?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @colourofsound ; dare i say our very own offering of a civil war muff: http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/cpb-muff-war/ :)

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    @colourofsound ; dare i say our very own offering of a civil war muff: http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/cpb-muff-war/ :)

Woah those knobs are really close together!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Vick Audio '73 rams head, it's a fantastic muff that should be near your budget used.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Dopesick said:
    @colourofsound ; dare i say our very own offering of a civil war muff: http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/cpb-muff-war/ :)

yup, a muff circuit is a challenge to fit into a mini box i can tell u! u can still turn them no problem with normal sized hands. if u have the donald size hands, well even easier eh! ;)
  • Any love for EQD Hoof or @Magnetic_Effects White Atom? Both are 'hybrid' germanium silicon fuzzes. Not sure implication of that
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2234
    edited February 2017
    I've just flipped my Tone Wicker in favour of the fabled DOD Carcosa, which I'm just getting used to, but already I feel like I'm missing the Muff. I think that's probably the fuzz tone for me, especially as I was brought up on Smashing Pumpkins and Mudhoney...

I'll probably hang on to the Carcosa for a good while yet as it seems like it's full of tonez, but eventually i think I'll come back to a Big Muff. Muff is where the heart is.

So, putting aside EHX offerings, what are the best Muff clones or iterations I should be aware of? Bearing in mind that in all probability I'd be trading/flipping the Carcosa to get it, it should be under £100.

n.b: My first was a PI (ace), my second was a Nano (cack) and my third was a Tone Wicker (best so far)

I also spent my formative years almost wearing out my copy of Siamese Dream. Obvious suggestion maybe, but Skreddy Mayonnaise?

EDIT: Apologies, didn't see the under £100 part... I managed to get some great Pumpkins tones with a Rat 2.

• Any love for EQD Hoof or @Magnetic_Effects White Atom? Both are 'hybrid' germanium silicon fuzzes. Not sure implication of that
    the White atom is an awesome fuzz, and yes your right its not a muff per-say but a bloody good fuzz and just over your £100 budget
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    @colourofsound please let me know if you sell the Carcosa!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    The White atom is designed to be a good allrounder. So it can do a bit of everything. Having said that, if you are specifically looking for Muff tones I would recommend something else. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The White Atom is excellent but not really muffish. I'd second the vote for a used Vick Ram's Head.
  • Not sure about 'best', but North Effects do a bunch of Muff clones that only cost a few pound more than the EHX offerings and are worth checking out.

I also flipped my Tone Wicker Muff recently, then regretted it. Replaced it with a Green Russian from North Effects and so far, so good. It's definitely quieter in operation than the Tone Wicker and it also doesn't disintegrate in to a congested mess when you play a chord, which is also nice.

I'm also interested in what alternatives are out there for reasonable price. I was recently quite impressed by the Empress Fuzz, sounds like the best bits of Fuzz Face & Muff combined. I think I might try that one next.
  • Hows about the Siamese dream inspired 'dreambox' by Madebymike pedals.
    http://www.madebymike.co.uk/dreambox.shtml

IC78 big muff and mxr dist 2 in one box.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Second time today I'll be namechecling the Mooer Triangle Muff. It works for me anyway. Very 'Muff-y' but more control and cuts through better somehow. Also much smaller!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    Dopesick said:

Story of Chris's life.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Another vote for the MBM Dream Box. Get him to build you a custom version with a Fender Blender circuit in there as well and you can go all-out Pumpkins forever.