Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying glasses online

What's Hot
Anybody done this? Any recommendations?

I've lost mine, I'm on an older pair with a weaker prescription and no anti glare coating. 
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    Never done it, but as long as you have your current prescription it should be OK.

Last time I needed to buy new ones I went to Asda (last December) - 2 pairs of varifocals for £99, including coating.  They've gone up to £119 now though.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31701
    Dunno, I spent ages in the opticians getting the varifocal centres in the right place, it's as much to do with your ears and nose as your prescription.

There is no way I would've been happy with the results doing it online, unless it's a straight replacement with exactly the same frames.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2108
    There's a website that sends out the frames to try before buying - well, everything apart from designer stuff. I was thinking of trying it myself, but will probably just end up,going to an opticians so I can try lots.
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Yeah I ordered a pair of varifocals with a decent frame from an Indian company selling through Ebay, I thought I'd give them a try as I marked my glasses welding under the car D'oh. I filled out my prescription details & they took around three/four weeks to arrive & were very good, perfect in fact. All for £28 :o I haven't seen them on ebay lately as I was going to order some prescription sunglasses.....bugger!
  • I use glasses direct. No problems whatsoever. My glasses were 65% less expensive online & mine is a simple prescription so it was a no brainer. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Buying them will be simple enough.

not sure about fitting and adjusted though.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    You can buy them online? I didn't see that coming
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6120
    Buying varifocals would be risky, the measurements have to be quite exact. Simple readers or distance should be fine provided you don't have an extreme prescription.
  • I would never buy online unless I had tried them. It takes me an age to choose a pair in the optician that fits right and doesnt make me look silly. Plus the fine tuning adjustments required for a good fit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited February 2017
    Find frames in high street shop, note model number, size and colour code, order online for loads less, then send them off to http://www.ciliaryblue.com/ for lenses. Highly recommended. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    The oddest thing I find is buying your glasses in a petrol station...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I got some nice RayBans from http://www.spectaclesdirect.co.uk/ a while back. A pretty effortless process - all you need to provide is your prescription information. It works out a lot cheaper than going to the high street as well.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5571
    It's a nope from me.
  • I don't understand the online glasses thing. Even if you miraculously get a pair that look good without trying on a hundred other pairs first it's still a pain to do your pupillary distance right, and then get them to fit.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Its not, just get your PD from your prescription (though if youre an adult male it will generally be 63mm), try some frames on in actual shops then find them online. Getting glasses to fit is easy, lot of tutorials online
  • I really like the process of being in a shop. I go to a quite expensive place (as in rrp designer shit) and frankly the service makes it worth it. 

If you need a cheap pair fast maybe online is fine but I have a large head (all ego, no brain) and it's quite an effort finding a pair that fits, let alone makes me sexy. 

And I am pretty sexy. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2017
    I buy expensive 'designer' frames online all the time, never once had a problem.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Select Specs are very, very cheap.

I wear contacts mostly but still wear specs around the house etc.   No point in spending fortunes when you can look like MIchael Caine for twelve quid.
  • I buy expensive 'designer' frames online all the time, never once had a problem.

I'll have to have a look. I could use a new pair, and definitely need sunglasses. 

I just struggle to find glasses wide enough! I am part alien. I'd not enjoy the process of trying and returning...

My point wasn't the designer thing so much as the rrp. If they did cheaper pairs that looked as good I'd be all over them but I'm convinced they choose ugly ones!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5571
    edited February 2017
    Its not, just get your PD from your prescription (though if youre an adult male it will generally be 63mm)
    Completely untrue.
    Everyone's PD is different and depending on your prescription, a mm or two can make a big difference.
    Fitting heights are important too in single vision as getting that wrong gives unwanted prism.

Spend your money and take your chance by all means, but the internet cannot replace expert measuring and fitting by a qualified dispenser.

Multifocals and varifocals are very precise lenses and need highly accurate fitting measurements.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom