633 Amps

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
I heard one of these being played at the Guitar Show and had to go over and find out about it

http://www.633amp.com/groove-king/

Wonderful sound, and a really interesting feature in the ability to change the amount of negative feedback which makes a cool change to the way it responds - lovely things, and I'd not heard of them before. 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think ..... think he's an ex Blackstar guy. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Yep, Cliff Brown - formerly of Blackstar (and I had a go on a PRS he is trying to shift a few weeks back!)

I came across these amps in the hands of Stuart Dixon who plays with Geno Washington, sounded great, he is a pretty special player too. Turns out Cliff has a holiday home down my way and puts on demo days in a shop a few miles up the road.

Guitarist seem to like them too, FWIW these days.
  • Yes, that's right. Originally from York, worked for Soundcraft then Blackstar. Also plays in The Cliff Brown Band.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Cliff-Brown-Band-179639225397141/

R.
  • Can't see the prices on the website....so is it a "if you have to ask you can't afford it" type product?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    They are ok, nothing that made the old neck hairs tingle and ridiculously expensive imho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Can't see the prices on the website....so is it a "if you have to ask you can't afford it" type product?
    So yes.... LOL
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    They look great for the most part and sound...well, like a £2500 amp, but the graphic designer in me is convulsing as to what possessed him to choose that awful font for the controls?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw Cliff playing a pub gig with another band a few months ago. Amps sounded very nice.

Didn't realise he was the designer/maker... until I had a chat with him during the break. Nice guy... great amps.

They're not exactly at the budget end of the market - but I think, like most things, you get what you pay for

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

I saw them at the show too, and seemed in the general milieu to sound very good indeed (not an ideal environment to assess gear).

I am always concerned by any though who is a self-confessed "perfectionist"........
  • Dopesick said:
    They look great for the most part and sound...well, like a £2500 amp, but the graphic designer in me is convulsing as to what possessed him to choose that awful font for the controls?
    I know what you mean @Dopesick . Approaching comic sans ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Dopesick said:
    I know what you mean @Dopesick . Approaching comic sans ;)
    yeah I don't think you need to be a designer to be a bit :-/ over that font. lol 
    Red ones are better. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    edited February 2017
    I have played a few of these and each one has been pretty special, particularly the one with foot switch controlled boost and drive (I forget which one it is). Lots of clean sustain was the main thing that I noticed plus all that guff people talk about changing the tone and gain with just your pick attack, well that is exactly what these do. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    photek said:
    I have played a few of these and each one has been pretty special particularly the one with foot switch controlled boost and drive (I forget which one it is). Lots of clean sustain was the main thing that I noticed plus all that guff people talk about changing the tone and gain with just your pick attack, well that is exactly what these do. 
    I think that is just an option you can have in the footswitch - there is an actual drive circuit/pedal inside the footswitch
    Red ones are better. 
  • Hmm, a perfectionist and yet a user of Comic Sans. Hmmm.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I heard it at the show too and thought it sounded excellent. However, £2700 appeared to be the ball-park for that Custom 36 and more if you wanted any extras (such as an FX loop, which I would). I'm not saying it's overpriced, but alas my other recent / pending spends are going to make a purchase unlikely :(
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Gadget said:
    I heard it at the show too and thought it sounded excellent. However, £2700 appeared to be the ball-park for that Custom 36 and more if you wanted any extras (such as an FX loop, which I would). I'm not saying it's overpriced, but alas my other recent / pending spends are going to make a purchase unlikely :(
    Wow. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Has anyone here but a 633 in the end? Damn expensive though :(
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I’ve used a 633 at Jam Nights and was underwhelmed tbh, there are much better amps out there for the money 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:
    I’ve used a 633 at Jam Nights and was underwhelmed tbh, there are much better amps out there for the money 
    Wow really? Well for those prices I really didn't expect that. Way out of my pocket range anyway. Some are over 3k. May as well go for a two rock rig for that kind of money :(